2.9 gpa 166 LSAT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gummy19vp

2.9 gpa 166 LSAT

Postby gummy19vp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:31 am

So guys help me out where should I apply

thexfactor

Re: 2.9 gpa 166 LSAT

Postby thexfactor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 am

my friend has similar stats. Apply to every school in the gw/emory/fordham/bc/bu/nd/uiuc range.... and hope for the best. Check lawschoolnumbers.com Prob get something......
Id say you have a decent shot at emory and uiuc.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 am

thexfactor wrote:my friend has similar stats. Apply to every school in the gw/emory/fordham/bc/bu/nd/uiuc range.... and hope for the best. Check lawschoolnumbers.com Prob get something......

I applied last cycle with 3.05, 165.

Wake forest in, prob with a shot at 1/4-1/2 scholly. (i got a little under a half tuition scholly)

I applied to UGA last year with 165, 3.05, and I got in with what ever the out of state scholly is. every one with a 164 and 3.0+ that applied was auto admit. ALthough towards the end they started Waitlisting people with better number than me b/c they recieved such a flood of applicants, so don't know how that would play out this year.

The key I would say is find schools that are lsat whores. Villanova, which was in the low 60s, didn't even offer me a scholly at all, and Cinci, in the 50s w/l'ed me. ALthough with cinci, I think it was less the low GPA and more that they were really into softs.

I also got into George mason. No scholly, but I applied late in the game and was in-state.

Also, applying to BU/BC is a HORRIBLE idea. BU is a GPA PROSTITUTE. THe adcomms wouldn't let their moms in if their gpa wasn't high enough.

I got W/L'd at cardozo, so I wouldn't apply to fordham. IMO, all the schools the above person listed are reaches. Sure, apply to them I guess, but don't expect much. I mean I guess if you applied to EVERY school in that range, you'd be good, but I'd look at 27ish-45ish range schools. Those are around the best you could get into (IMO) and at some of them you could get schollys- best of both worlds- scholly and the best you can do. GL, msg me if you have any more questions about my experience (since are numbers are pretty similiar).

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:47 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
thexfactor wrote:my friend has similar stats. Apply to every school in the gw/emory/fordham/bc/bu/nd/uiuc range.... and hope for the best. Check lawschoolnumbers.com Prob get something......

Wake forest in, prob with a shot at 1/4-1/2 scholly. (i got a little under a half tuition scholly)

I applied to UGA last year with 165, 3.05, and I got in with what ever the out of state scholly is. every one with a 164 and 3.0+ that applied was auto admit. ALthough towards the end they started Waitlisting people with better number than me b/c they recieved such a flood of applicants, so don't know how that would play out this year.

The key I would say is find schools that are lsat whores. Villanova, which was in the low 60s, didn't even offer me a scholly at all, and Cinci, in the 50s w/l'ed me. ALthough with cinci, I think it was less the low GPA and more that they were really into softs.

I also got into George mason. No scholly, but I applied late in the game and was in-state.

Also, applying to BU/BC is a HORRIBLE idea. BU is a GPA PROSTITUTE. THe adcomms wouldn't let their moms in if their gpa wasn't high enough.

I got W/L'd at cardozo, so I wouldn't apply to fordham. IMO, all the schools the above person listed are reaches. Sure, apply to them I guess, but don't expect much. I mean I guess if you applied to EVERY school in that range, you'd be good, but I'd look at 27ish-45ish range schools. Those are around the best you could get into (IMO) and at some of them you could get schollys- best of both worlds- scholly and the best you can do. GL, msg me if you have any more questions about my experience (since are numbers are pretty similiar).

BU according to LSN people have been wled with 3.2 and 166. Again your gpa is slightly lower but i think it is worth a shot. http://bu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:59 am

Enjoy Emory.

gummy19vp

Postby gummy19vp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Minnesota just gave me a fee waiver. The only schools in top 20 I am applying to is WUSTL and UIUC after that I was thinking of scattering it around the 25-50 range and hoping for the best and maybe a scholly somewhere if I can dazzle the admissions comittee with my irrestible charm haha

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 pm

gummy19vp wrote:Minnesota just gave me a fee waiver. The only schools in top 20 I am applying to is WUSTL and UIUC after that I was thinking of scattering it around the 25-50 range and hoping for the best and maybe a scholly somewhere if I can dazzle the admissions comittee with my irrestible charm haha

Fee waivers offer no indication about whether you will get in or dinged.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 pm

thexfactor wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

BU according to LSN people have been wled with 3.2 and 166. Again your gpa is slightly lower but i think it is worth a shot. http://bu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

are you kidding me? A couple of ppl got wled? So that should inspire him? I'm pretty sure their class entry stats the year before last were like 3.7/165 median. The fact of the matter is apply to BU is a waste of time with a low gpa. I mean on the entire chart, there are 2, TWO people that got accepted below 3.3 (and op is a 2.9). One was URM and the other has a 174. Its a serious waste of money.

I mean, you have to be kidding me. Hes pretty much an auto-reject.

EDIT- and even if, by some miracle, he did get in there, it makes no sense to be paying thier tuition, which is something like 40k, when could go to UGA at 15-20k, when UGA places much better in their market.

With his numbers he can get nice schollies at schools that are only 5-15 ranks lower. It really wouldn't be that much of a difference- it would depend more on the market. No NO no!
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:58 pm

rad law wrote:
gummy19vp wrote:Minnesota just gave me a fee waiver. The only schools in top 20 I am applying to is WUSTL and UIUC after that I was thinking of scattering it around the 25-50 range and hoping for the best and maybe a scholly somewhere if I can dazzle the admissions comittee with my irrestible charm haha

TRUTH! 'dozo sent me a fee waiver and waitlisted me.

Also, i got a fee waiver from minesota.. thought about applying, but then looked their usual acceptance numbers and realized they just wanted me to apply so they could look more selective
><

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

are you kidding me? A couple of ppl got wled? So that should inspire him? I'm pretty sure their class entry stats the year before last were like 3.7/165 median. The fact of the matter is apply to BU is a waste of time with a low gpa. I mean on the entire chart, there are 2, TWO people that got accepted below 3.3 (and op is a 2.9). One was URM and the other has a 174. Its a serious waste of money.

EDIT- and even if, by some miracle, he did get in there, it makes no sense to be paying thier tuition, which is something like 40k, when could go to UGA at 15-20k, when UGA places much better in their market.

With his numbers he can get nice schollies at schools that are only 5-15 ranks lower. It really wouldn't be that much of a difference- it would depend more on the market. No NO no!

chill out man. I didnt say that he would get in for sure. If I see people get WLed then I feel that the school is worth an ap.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 am

Indiana Bloomington is one of the biggest LSAT whores out there. The index score focus on the LSAT compared to the uGPA is ridiculous. Probably would have a shot there, but it all depends on where you want to practice.

With sub-glorious stats (no offense - i am similar at 2.95/167), you should be focusing on schools that are strong regionally where you want to practice. So if you want to practice in FL, i wouldn't suggest going to Indiana.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 am

I got W/L'd at cardozo, so I wouldn't apply to fordham. IMO, all the schools the above person listed are reaches. Sure, apply to them I guess, but don't expect much. I mean I guess if you applied to EVERY school in that range, you'd be good, but I'd look at 27ish-45ish range schools. Those are around the best you could get into (IMO) and at some of them you could get schollys- best of both worlds- scholly and the best you can do. GL, msg me if you have any more questions about my experience (since are numbers are pretty similiar).[/quote]

BU according to LSN people have been wled with 3.2 and 166. Again your gpa is slightly lower but i think it is worth a shot. http://bu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/[/quote]

With his numbers he can get nice schollies at schools that are only 5-15 ranks lower. It really wouldn't be that much of a difference- it would depend more on the market. No NO no![/quote]

chill out man. I didnt say that he would get in for sure. If I see people get WLed then I feel that the school is worth an ap.[/quote]

<--- 1st sememster exams approach. Rest of work life to be soon decided. Physically incapable of chilling out. GAH BLRAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:39 pm

TommyK wrote:Indiana Bloomington is one of the biggest LSAT whores out there. The index score focus on the LSAT compared to the uGPA is ridiculous. Probably would have a shot there, but it all depends on where you want to practice.

With sub-glorious stats (no offense - i am similar at 2.95/167), you should be focusing on schools that are strong regionally where you want to practice. So if you want to practice in FL, i wouldn't suggest going to Indiana.

No offense, but this simply is not true. A quick look at the huge variation in the 25th-75th LSAT for Indiana will show you that Indiana admits many students below its median. Granted, if you're below median in LSAT, you'd better have a really good GPA. Also, look at IU's GPA range. The 75th GPA of 3.83 is higher than most of IU's peer schools.

In OP's situation, though, IU would almost certainly admit. I wouldn't expect much in the way of scholarship money, though, as IU typically reserves most of its scholarship money for 3.65+ students. I would agree with you that IU is not a great choice for Florida employment. A good friend of mine here is from FL and admits that the market is bad for IU down there (though he doesn't particularly want to return to FL). I, too, am seeking employment in a region where IU does not place well, but I have built up some connections, both through IU alumni and through attorneys I know in that region, so I should do alright. I would suggest building a close and extensive network of attorneys, especially if you choose to go to a school outside the market you intend on seeking employment in.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:41 pm

rad law wrote:

Was it personalized? I think that makes all the difference.

/sarcastic-troll

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
TommyK wrote:Indiana Bloomington is one of the biggest LSAT whores out there. The index score focus on the LSAT compared to the uGPA is ridiculous. Probably would have a shot there, but it all depends on where you want to practice.

No offense, but this simply is not true. A quick look at the huge variation in the 25th-75th LSAT for Indiana will show you that Indiana admits many students below its median. Granted, if you're below median in LSAT, you'd better have a really good GPA. Also, look at IU's GPA range. The 75th GPA of 3.83 is higher than most of IU's peer schools.

In OP's situation, though, IU would almost certainly admit. I wouldn't expect much in the way of scholarship money, though, as IU typically reserves most of its scholarship money for 3.65+ students. I would agree with you that IU is not a great choice for Florida employment. A good friend of mine here is from FL and admits that the market is bad for IU down there (though he doesn't particularly want to return to FL). I, too, am seeking employment in a region where IU does not place well, but I have built up some connections, both through IU alumni and through attorneys I know in that region, so I should do alright. I would suggest building a close and extensive network of attorneys, especially if you choose to go to a school outside the market you intend on seeking employment in.

What did I say that wasn't true? Every school admits many students below their median ... That's why it's the median.

He wouldn't be below the median anyways, unless they significantly upgrade their stats over the year. They have a median of 164. Also, I don't think OP specifically said he wanted to go to Florida. That was just my suggestion of him looking at applying where he wanted to practice.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:02 pm

TommyK wrote:What did I say that wasn't true? Every school admits many students below their median ... That's why it's the median.

Not necessarily. The school could admit people with just number over the median and one below and you could still have high medians. See UVA. The people who get in below both medians are URMs.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm

TommyK wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

What did I say that wasn't true? Every school admits many students below their median ... That's why it's the median.

He wouldn't be below the median anyways, unless they significantly upgrade their stats over the year. They have a median of 164. Also, I don't think OP specifically said he wanted to go to Florida. That was just my suggestion of him looking at applying where he wanted to practice.

What you said that is wrong, imo, is that IU is an LSAT whore. I'm not the biggest defender of IU or its admissions department, but it is not an LSAT whore, any more than any other law school is.

In my discussion of LSAT, "you" meant "one," not "OP."

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:58 pm

rad law wrote:
TommyK wrote:What did I say that wasn't true? Every school admits many students below their median ... That's why it's the median.

Not necessarily. The school could admit people with just number over the median and one below and you could still have high medians. See UVA. The people who get in below both medians are URMs.

I agree. Sadly, at IU, there really aren't enough URMs for any kind of admission boost to appreciably affect overall admission data. Out of all of my classes, I would have to say my most diverse class has about 8-10% URMs.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

What you said that is wrong, imo, is that IU is an LSAT whore. I'm not the biggest defender of IU or its admissions department, but it is not an LSAT whore, any more than any other law school is.

In my discussion of LSAT, "you" meant "one," not "OP."

Alright, maybe our definitions of LSAT whores differ and that's where the separation is coming from. All I'm saying is that among tier 1 schools, IUB puts much more weight on the LSAT than the vast majority of other schools. If you want data to back this up, look at lawschoolpredictor.com. I don't think you need to be a defender of IUB admissions as I wasn't assailing it.

They love them some high LSAT scores in favor of uGPA. Nothing wrong with that. They're LSAT whores the same way Boalt is a GPA whore. In fact, as a self-described non-traditional, high-LSAT/low uGPA splitter, I appreciate their outlook. I'm definitely applying there. Good program, good reputation.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 am

TommyK wrote:Alright, maybe our definitions of LSAT whores differ and that's where the separation is coming from. All I'm saying is that among tier 1 schools, IUB puts much more weight on the LSAT than the vast majority of other schools. If you want data to back this up, look at lawschoolpredictor.com. I don't think you need to be a defender of IUB admissions as I wasn't assailing it.

They love them some high LSAT scores in favor of uGPA. Nothing wrong with that. They're LSAT whores the same way Boalt is a GPA whore. In fact, as a self-described non-traditional, high-LSAT/low uGPA splitter, I appreciate their outlook. I'm definitely applying there. Good program, good reputation.

I'll have to agree that we are coming from different stances. I was a high-GPA/low-LSAT reverse splitter (165/3.93). I got into IU with a full scholarship and was rejected by Berkeley.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”