Most mobile non-T17s

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FuManChusco

Re: Most mobile non-T17s

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 am

Blindmelon wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:BU is about as mobile as the tree in my frontyard.

Again, pure TLS conjecture. If you have ties to an area and good enough grades, its not like you're stuck in Boston. I know 4 people with bigfirm jobs in DC, 1 KS, 1 OC, some LA, NYC, Philly, etc. How is that not mobile?

If you mean mobile as in, doors everywhere are automatically opened to you because where you go to school - then you mean HYS, maybe CN and thats it. Everything else is going to take ties/decent grades to move far.

yeah I suppose hometown ties can get you back to a market from basically anywhere. I wouldn't say that BU has mobility to those places though. I'm much more likely to go to the midwest for law school and take my degree back to Boston (my hometown), than getting a BU degree and heading to KS. that'd probably be impossible. I think self-selection also creates a false sense of immobility. what do I know though.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 am

FuManChusco wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Again, pure TLS conjecture. If you have ties to an area and good enough grades, its not like you're stuck in Boston. I know 4 people with bigfirm jobs in DC, 1 KS, 1 OC, some LA, NYC, Philly, etc. How is that not mobile?

If you mean mobile as in, doors everywhere are automatically opened to you because where you go to school - then you mean HYS, maybe CN and thats it. Everything else is going to take ties/decent grades to move far.

yeah I suppose hometown ties can get you back to a market from basically anywhere. I wouldn't say that BU has mobility to those places though. I'm much more likely to go to the midwest for law school and take my degree back to Boston (my hometown), than getting a BU degree and heading to KS. that'd probably be impossible. I think self-selection also creates a false sense of immobility. what do I know though.

Nothing, apparently.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:16 am

The "If you have good enough grades and strong ties you can go somewhere" argument applies to all schools not BU. You can graduate from a TTT and go outside your region if you graduate top of your class and have strong ties. It's a retarded argument to make.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 am

whymeohgodno wrote:The "If you have good enough grades and strong ties you can go somewhere" argument applies to all schools not BU. You can graduate from a TTT and go outside your region if you graduate top of your class and have strong ties. It's a retarded argument to make.

Correct. Your mobility isn't really tied to your school.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 am

whymeohgodno wrote:The "If you have good enough grades and strong ties you can go somewhere" argument applies to all schools not BU. You can graduate from a TTT and go outside your region if you graduate top of your class and have strong ties. It's a retarded argument to make.

So you're saying you can get shitty grades at a school like Penn and work in LA even though you have no ties? :roll: . You guys place a little too much stock in your arbitrary mobile/non-mobile distinctions. Also, you don't take self selection into account. You don't go to BU to work in CA, you go to USC or UCLA. It doesn't mean that you can't get to CA from BU - its mobile enough that you can.

Also, the people I know with jobs outside of Boston aren't necessary top 10%. When you do OCI, you'll realize that grades do not automatically mean mobility or jobs. You can't boil everything in life down to hard numbers.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 am

RVP11 wrote:

Correct. Your mobility isn't really tied to your school.

Said much better and more succicently than I did. Agreed.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:27 am

Blindmelon wrote:

So you're saying you can get shitty grades at a school like Penn and work in LA even though you have no ties? :roll: . You guys place a little too much stock in your arbitrary mobile/non-mobile distinctions. Also, you don't take self selection into account. You don't go to BU to work in CA, you go to USC or UCLA. It doesn't mean that you can't get to CA from BU - its mobile enough that you can.

Also, the people I know with jobs outside of Boston aren't necessary top 10%. When you do OCI, you'll realize that grades do not automatically mean mobility or jobs. You can't boil everything in life down to hard numbers.

Uh, that is definitely not what he said

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 am

RVP11 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Nothing, apparently.

1.) you're an asshole
2.) you basically agreed with the same exact concept 2 posts down from what I said.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Uh, that is definitely not what he said

Touche -

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 am

FuManChusco wrote:1.) you're an asshole
2.) you basically agreed with the same exact concept 2 posts down from what I said.

Them's just jokes, man.

This: "I'm much more likely to go to the midwest for law school and take my degree back to Boston (my hometown), than getting a BU degree and heading to KS" is a little misinformed.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 pm

RVP11 wrote:

Them's just jokes, man.

This: "I'm much more likely to go to the midwest for law school and take my degree back to Boston (my hometown), than getting a BU degree and heading to KS" is a little misinformed.

it's cool. this isn't meant as sarcasm or anything. I actually want a sincere answer. do you really think it's as easy to break into a new market as it is to take a degree back to your hometown where you have ties? that just seems crazy to me. I know either one will probably be difficult, but one seems much more reasonable than the other to me.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Since I want to work in Philly, the idea of going to BU or GW doesn't make me feel uncomfortable; many locals spread across BosWash for law school, and experience little problems coming back home for work. According to my Dad and his partners, T30 grads from neighboring regions will be taken seriously (more so than Temple or Villanova grads) if they have ties to Philadelphia (I recognize this is anectodal evidence; this could differ from firm to firm).

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Them's just jokes, man.

it's cool. this isn't meant as sarcasm or anything. I actually want a sincere answer. do you really think it's as easy to break into a new market as it is to take a degree back to your hometown where you have ties? that just seems crazy to me. I know either one will probably be difficult, but one seems much more reasonable than the other to me.

I must have misunderstood you - I thought you meant taking a BU degree back to KS when you have KS ties. I can't imagine that being terribly hard.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:53 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Since I want to work in Philly, the idea of going to BU or GW doesn't make me feel uncomfortable; many locals spread across BosWash for law school, and experience little problems coming back home for work. According to my Dad and his partners, T30 grads from neighboring regions will be taken seriously (more so than Temple or Villanova grads) if they have ties to Philadelphia (I recognize this is anectodal evidence; this could differ from firm to firm).

I don't know if the east coast works differently but out west, only the T-14 are really mobile. Even UCLA isn't treated much better than your general state flagship outside of Calli.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:01 pm

RVP11 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Them's just jokes, man.

I must have misunderstood you - I thought you meant taking a BU degree back to KS when you have KS ties. I can't imagine that being terribly hard.

Welp... that makes sense. Yeah I imagine that would be easy. I guess the best example of my point is Boston resident to WUSTL law to Boston firm is easier than Boston resident to BU law to Kansas firm. my point was, I wouldn't consider WUSTL to have mobility to Boston because it's really your hometown ties getting you back. Just like knowing someone that went from BU law to KS or OK doesn't mean it has mobility there. Its merely a respected school that can get you back home if you have ties. I think we're all on the same page here.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
schnoodle wrote:unless any of these posters are incognito admissions people with hard data, their responses are either anecdotal (effectively worthless) or speculative (absolutely worthless).

This is kind of a dumb post; it basically means that unless you're an adcomm you can't know what's going on, and since 99.9% of TLS are not adcomms, it would mean pretty much nobody knows what they're talking about, which is ridiculous.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Since I want to work in Philly, the idea of going to BU or GW doesn't make me feel uncomfortable; many locals spread across BosWash for law school, and experience little problems coming back home for work. According to my Dad and his partners, T30 grads from neighboring regions will be taken seriously (more so than Temple or Villanova grads) if they have ties to Philadelphia (I recognize this is anectodal evidence; this could differ from firm to firm).

I don't know if the east coast works differently but out west, only the T-14 are really mobile. Even UCLA isn't treated much better than your general state flagship outside of Calli.

Not really true, but okay.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

He's just expanding his lack of knowledge beyond his normal comfort zone of Penn.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:21 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

He's just expanding his lack of knowledge beyond his normal comfort zone of Penn.

I thought Ivy league meant really really smart?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:24 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:He's just expanding his lack of knowledge beyond his normal comfort zone of Penn.

I thought Ivy league meant really really smart?

egregious Cornell trolling!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Really? I was just going off what I've been told about their OCI recently/the way that at the AZ attorneys I've talked to put the cutoff for out of state schools that they consider elite at Georgetown. It always seemed like a decent explanation why the large firms in Phx had a smaller # of UCLA grads than I would have expected (less UCLA grads than UVA grands for e.x.). I'm sure you'd know better than I do though.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

...but seriously, we do need a new school distinction. T12 makes sense, as does T17. T14, particularly based on the last few years, seems to draw an arbitrary distinction between CG and Vandy.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 pm

beachbum wrote:...but seriously, we do need a new school distinction. T12 makes sense, as does T17. T14, particularly based on the last few years, seems to draw an arbitrary distinction between CG and Vandy.

Berkeley does pretty horrible for it's rank. I don't see anyone coming up with a new ranking just to leave them out though.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:57 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
beachbum wrote:...but seriously, we do need a new school distinction. T12 makes sense, as does T17. T14, particularly based on the last few years, seems to draw an arbitrary distinction between CG and Vandy.

Berkeley does pretty horrible for it's rank. I don't see anyone coming up with a new ranking just to leave them out though.

berk gets the benefit of the doubt for having a lot of non biglaw interested people.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 am

:lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”