Most mobile non-T17s

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FuManChusco

Re: Most mobile non-T17s

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 pm

rad law wrote:
The McRib Is Risen wrote:Outside of the T14 (plus UCLA and Texas), the mobility of the degree is determined pretty much entirely by your legwork as an applicant and your ties to the area. If you go to WUSTL, you can still get a job in Seattle if you grew up there, have the grades, and submit direct applications. However, no school outside the T16 is going to be a good bet for getting you into a geographically distant market to which you don't have ties.

Also T16 isn't a meaningful distinction lulz

lol at the vandy troll.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Lol @ "T17" or "T16"

Absolutely meaningless trolling

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm

James Bond wrote:Lol @ "T17" or "T16"

Would it be preferable to say T14 + Vandy? I think the point is that people feel that a couple of the lower T20 schools (UT for Texas, Vanderbilt for the Southeast) are decent options even though they don't fit fall into the mythical T14.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:08 pm

JOThompson wrote:

Would it be preferable to say T14 + Vandy? I think the point is that people feel that a couple of the lower T20 schools (UT for Texas, Vanderbilt for the Southeast) are decent options even though they don't fit fall into the mythical T14.

So? It's the T14. It always has been the T14. If the 15th or 16th school is good, then fine, apply and go to it. But that doesn't mean you make it the T15 or T16 or T17 to make yourself feel better. It's absolutely pointless.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm

James Bond wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

So? It's the T14. It always has been the T14. If the 15th or 16th school is good, then fine, apply and go to it. But that doesn't mean you make it the T15 or T16 or T17 to make yourself feel better. It's absolutely pointless.

T14 is arbitrary anyways. What's it to you if people find some meaning in expanding the category to T16 or T17 or T20? It's just an indication that more and more people find the slightly expanded range to be of value when considering applications and job options. No reason to get hot and bothered.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:25 pm

JOThompson wrote:
James Bond wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

T14 is arbitrary anyways. What's it to you if people find some meaning in expanding the category to T16 or T17 or T20? It's just an indication that more and more people find the slightly expanded range to be of value when considering applications and job options. No reason to get hot and bothered.

Finding something stupid or masturbatory doesn't make me angry or "hot and bothered"

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm not the one getting worked up over another poster's use of a term, certainly not to the point of deeming it stupid or pointless.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 pm

JOThompson wrote:I'm not the one getting worked up over another poster's use of a term, certainly not to the point of deeming it stupid or pointless.

Never said you were...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:
The McRib Is Risen wrote:Outside of the T14 (plus UCLA and Texas), the mobility of the degree is determined pretty much entirely by your legwork as an applicant and your ties to the area. If you go to WUSTL, you can still get a job in Seattle if you grew up there, have the grades, and submit direct applications. However, no school outside the T16 is going to be a good bet for getting you into a geographically distant market to which you don't have ties.

lol at the vandy troll.

You must be new here.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:50 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
schnoodle wrote:unless any of these posters are incognito admissions people with hard data, their responses are either anecdotal (effectively worthless) or speculative (absolutely worthless).

I mean true in the case that schools might straight up lie on their career pages. There is some evidence of that -- like Duke's 100% employment -- but otherwise this is pretty good data to support it... like most schools' data in that range, not ITE of course.

http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/pages.aspx?id=459

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Careers/prospect ... stics.aspx

http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/careers/jd/work.html

Class of 09 Stats, seems good.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

LOL at T14. T13. Nice try Georgetown.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Its T-14, please respect our social norms. Also, major LULZ to the schools that have so far been suggested. BU in LA, plz. The only truly mobile school outside of the T-14 (or the three mega-regional schools after it if you must) is BYU.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Veyron wrote:Its T-14, please respect our social norms. Also, major LULZ to the schools that have so far been suggested. BU in LA, plz. The only truly mobile school outside of the T-14 (or the three mega-regional schools after it) is BYU.

Too bad I'm not Mormon. We Jews are stuck with crappy Yeshiva, which, from what I've heard, isn't even all that Jewish a law school?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:02 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:Its T-14, please respect our social norms. Also, major LULZ to the schools that have so far been suggested. BU in LA, plz. The only truly mobile school outside of the T-14 (or the three mega-regional schools after it) is BYU.

Too bad I'm not Mormon. We Jews are stuck with crappy Yeshiva, which, from what I've heard, isn't even all that Jewish a law school?

Hey, the question said nothing about the most mobile secular non-elite school.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

According to their website (with an insanely long title bar): "Yeshiva University provides the highest quality Jewish and secular education of any Jewish university in the world." So is it secular, or is it Jewish? Can it really be both?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

According to their website (with an insanely long title bar): "Yeshiva University provides the highest quality Jewish and secular education of any Jewish university in the world." So is it secular, or is it Jewish? Can it really be both?

I don't know, can an athiest really be a Jew? What is the meaning of life? Was Maimonides really correct when he postulated that in heaven the intellectually inferior will serve the intellectually superior (G-d I hope so) Are we really having a meta discussion about Judiasm on TLS?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Veyron wrote:Are we really having a meta discussion about Judiasm on TLS?

Are you new here?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 pm

Veyron wrote:I don't know, can an athiest really be a Jew?

Of course. Welcome to the wacky, wonderful world of ethnic religions.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am

Veyron wrote:Its T-14, please respect our social norms. Also, major LULZ to the schools that have so far been suggested. BU in LA, plz. The only truly mobile school outside of the T-14 (or the three mega-regional schools after it if you must) is BYU.

Ah random conjecture by someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Gotta love TLS <3.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:27 am

BU is about as mobile as the tree in my frontyard.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 am

rad law wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:

lol at the vandy troll.

You must be new here.

not really. every time someone makes up a ridiculous tier of schools I have a laugh though. I'm really just waiting for a WUSTL troll to play the T19 card. that's something I haven't seen before. Maybe when my splitter ass gets rejected everywhere else, I'll start trolling people.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 am

not really. every time someone makes up a ridiculous tier of schools I have a laugh though. I'm really just waiting for a WUSTL troll to play the T19 card. that's something I haven't seen before. Maybe when my splitter ass gets rejected everywhere else, I'll start trolling people.

I've seen HYS, t6, t10, t13, t14, t17, and t20.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 am

whymeohgodno wrote:BU is about as mobile as the tree in my frontyard.

Again, pure TLS conjecture. If you have ties to an area and good enough grades, its not like you're stuck in Boston. I know 4 people with bigfirm jobs in DC, 1 KS, 1 OC, some LA, NYC, Philly, etc. How is that not mobile?

If you mean mobile as in, doors everywhere are automatically opened to you because where you go to school - then you mean HYS, maybe CN and thats it. Everything else is going to take ties/decent grades to move far.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 am

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:

lol at the vandy troll.

Vandy is better than texas and UCLA anyways

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:08 am

whymeohgodno wrote:BU is about as mobile as the tree in my frontyard.

Copy/pasting this for you:

"How much ties matter depends a lot more on the particular city and firm than which school you're coming from.

The whole idea of school mobility is a misinformed one. What the T14 schools give you is firms from all over the country coming to OCI, and a recognized brand name that can be leveraged in most markets through non-OCI direct mailing (provided you have the requisite ties). And pretty much the entire T14, plus a few others, are "brand names" in most major cities in the U.S. - there's no sense in drawing a line at T6."

Return to “Choosing a Law School”