Most mobile non-T17s Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Most mobile non-T17s

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Notre Dame?

WUSTL?

BU?

Illinois?

dakatz

Gold

Re: Most mobile non-T17s

Post by dakatz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Just of those, pretty sure TCR is BU. Places well in NYC as well as CA

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 pm

How about George Washington?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:39 am

Idk GW is pretty mobile and so is WUSTL depending on your definition of mobile -- just about anywhere in the Midwest and pretty strong on the East Coast.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:46 am

AreJay711 wrote:Idk GW is pretty mobile and so is WUSTL depending on your definition of mobile -- just about anywhere in the Midwest and pretty strong on the East Coast.
BU/BC/GW/WUSTL - thats about it. BU/BC/GW are east coast, BU touches on Westcoast too, WUSTL can hit Chicago/NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:54 am

wustl is mobile.. the problem is that it doesnt have a good "home market" so the degree MUST be mobile. I would say Wustl's range is everything east of the rocky mountains. Anything farther west than that, they confuse your degree with University of Washington.
Wustl places well in KC, STL, Omaha. Not so much in Chicago anymore. Some placement in Texas, ATL, Boston, ny,dc.......

I would say it s like a poor mans vandy. Mediocre placement across the eastern half of the US.

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:57 am

unless any of these posters are incognito admissions people with hard data, their responses are either anecdotal (effectively worthless) or speculative (absolutely worthless).

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:26 am

Bottom line is that T30s are all regional schools. You are better off attending a slightly lower-ranked school in the market you want to practice in.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:33 am

schnoodle wrote:unless any of these posters are incognito admissions people with hard data, their responses are either anecdotal (effectively worthless) or speculative (absolutely worthless).
I mean true in the case that schools might straight up lie on their career pages. There is some evidence of that -- like Duke's 100% employment -- but otherwise this is pretty good data to support it... like most schools' data in that range, not ITE of course.

http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/pages.aspx?id=459

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Careers/prospect ... stics.aspx

http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/careers/jd/work.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:03 pm

schnoodle wrote:unless any of these posters are incognito admissions people with hard data, their responses are either anecdotal (effectively worthless) or speculative (absolutely worthless).
You have to take into account that people going to BU generally want NYC/Boston, GW generally DC/NYC, etc. Therefore, people aren't going to spread out as much as those who go to a school like Chicago, because Chicago draws people who want to work in almost every market.

Anecdotaly for BU, I know people with bigfirm jobs mostly in Boston/NYC, but also in LA, OC, DC, KS (well, as big as firms are there), MD (Baltimore), PA (Philly) and so on. Its just that not a lot of people go for those jobs because most people stick to the northeast. Therefore, while it may not be as easy to get jobs outside of these schools general region, it is by no means impossible as DC, Philly, LA, etc. firms still recruit BU students.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
You have to take into account that people going to BU generally want NYC/Boston, GW generally DC/NYC, etc. Therefore, people aren't going to spread out as much as those who go to a school like Chicago, because Chicago draws people who want to work in almost every market.

Anecdotaly for BU, I know people with bigfirm jobs mostly in Boston/NYC, but also in LA, OC, DC, KS (well, as big as firms are there), MD (Baltimore), PA (Philly) and so on. Its just that not a lot of people go for those jobs because most people stick to the northeast. Therefore, while it may not be as easy to get jobs outside of these schools general region, it is by no means impossible as DC, Philly, LA, etc. firms still recruit BU students.
Yeah, I'd consider BU to be a semi-national school. The vast majority of grads are clumped in the eastern corridor, but that's by choice I think. A good deal of west coast firms recruit at BU.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 pm

This is kind of a dumb post; it basically means that unless you're an adcomm you can't know what's going on, and since 99.9% of TLS are not adcomms, it would mean pretty much nobody knows what they're talking about, which is ridiculous.

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:18 pm

so it was an exaggeration for emphasis/effect, but i think you see the point. in my opinion (not yours or anyone else's) the type of conjecture in this thread is basically useless. if you're serious about finding out how mobile a school is, i don't think the most effective way to do it is to jump on this forum. again, my opinion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:24 pm

schnoodle wrote:so it was an exaggeration for emphasis/effect, but i think you see the point. in my opinion (not yours or anyone else's) the type of conjecture in this thread is basically useless. if you're serious about finding out how mobile a school is, i don't think the most effective way to do it is to jump on this forum. again, my opinion.
It's certainly not asking adcomms. They'll tell you anything.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm applying to a similar set of schools. If I don't get into a lower T14, which of these would place the best in Philadelphia: BU, BC, WUSTL, Emory, GW, or W&M? I assume at least some of these would be a better option than Temple?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:54 pm

schnoodle wrote:so it was an exaggeration for emphasis/effect, but i think you see the point. in my opinion (not yours or anyone else's) the type of conjecture in this thread is basically useless. if you're serious about finding out how mobile a school is, i don't think the most effective way to do it is to jump on this forum. again, my opinion.
That's not really a helpful opinion. At least other people are trying to provide something useful. You're just adding "this forum is useless", which doesn't actually add anything. Also, adding "in my opinion" doesn't really change anything. "This forum is worthless" and "In my opinion (not yours or anyone else's) this forum is worthless" are both unhelpful.

Besides, where are people supposed to go? The schools themselves, which all report employment data that's significantly distorted in their favor? The rankings, which don't answer the OP's question? You don't seem to have a suggestion for what would be effective.

I suppose you could be trying to prove there are worthless opinions on here by giving one.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:01 pm

I am on adcomm at Minnesota Law. We are pretty mobile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:49 pm

BU, GW, and WUSTL

The McRib Is Risen

New

Post by The McRib Is Risen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Outside of the T14 (plus UCLA and Texas), the mobility of the degree is determined pretty much entirely by your legwork as an applicant and your ties to the area. If you go to WUSTL, you can still get a job in Seattle if you grew up there, have the grades, and submit direct applications. However, no school outside the T16 is going to be a good bet for getting you into a geographically distant market to which you don't have ties.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:24 pm

The McRib Is Risen wrote:Outside of the T14 (plus UCLA and Texas), the mobility of the degree is determined pretty much entirely by your legwork as an applicant and your ties to the area. If you go to WUSTL, you can still get a job in Seattle if you grew up there, have the grades, and submit direct applications. However, no school outside the T16 is going to be a good bet for getting you into a geographically distant market to which you don't have ties.
It's even more regional than that kiddo. I'd go with T6. Ties are very very important.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:25 pm

The McRib Is Risen wrote:Outside of the T14 (plus UCLA and Texas), the mobility of the degree is determined pretty much entirely by your legwork as an applicant and your ties to the area. If you go to WUSTL, you can still get a job in Seattle if you grew up there, have the grades, and submit direct applications. However, no school outside the T16 is going to be a good bet for getting you into a geographically distant market to which you don't have ties.
Also T16 isn't a meaningful distinction lulz

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:58 pm

rad law wrote:
It's even more regional than that kiddo. I'd go with T6. Ties are very very important.
Ties are still important for T6.

How much ties matter depends a lot more on the particular city and firm than which school you're coming from.

The whole idea of school mobility is a misinformed one. What the T14 schools give you is firms from all over the country coming to OCI, and a recognized brand name that can be leveraged in most markets through non-OCI direct mailing (provided you have the requisite ties). And pretty much the entire T14, plus a few others, are "brand names" in most major cities in the U.S. - there's no sense in drawing a line at T6.
Last edited by RVP11 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:01 pm

RVP11 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Ties are still important for T6.

How much ties matter depends a lot more on the particular city and firm than which school you're coming from.
This is a better way of explaining what I did a shitty job trying to explain. Outlining is taking its toll.

kams

New

Post by kams » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Idk GW is pretty mobile and so is WUSTL depending on your definition of mobile -- just about anywhere in the Midwest and pretty strong on the East Coast.
BU/BC/GW/WUSTL - thats about it. BU/BC/GW are east coast, BU touches on Westcoast too, WUSTL can hit Chicago/NYC.
Thanks for the KS shout out dude.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:29 pm

kams wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Thanks for the KS shout out dude.
Hah. Gotta do what cha gotta do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”