JAPAN. THOUGHTS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Do you like Japan?

Yes
40%
No
20%
Yes but I don't want to live/practice Law there
16%
This sounds awesome. Where do I sign up?
4%
God help you, because you are f****d
20%

Total votes: 25

Re: JAPAN. THOUGHTS?

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 pm

I've been to Japan and loved it, but it wouldn't be for everyone. It is impossible to gain citizenship without being Japanese, so making a permanent move there might not be feasible or desireable for all. Additionally, there is very little ethnic diversity there, and someone coming from the United States that is a hodgepodge of people would probably be overwhelmed by the culture of japan and could potentially face an extremely uphill battle to establish themselves socially.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:58 pm

rickynwhyc wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I'm sure Japanese biglaw isn't handing out $500k jobs like candy, so probably should keep that in mind, and you should have read the disclosure at the bottom. The earnings are neither representative nor averages.

And you might want to make sure you're allowed to sit for the Japanese bar first (or somehow get licensed). And that you speak fluent Japanese. And that you have some American biglaw experience (I'm sure they have their pick of laterals/internals so they don't have to hire a fresh grad for their Tokyo office).

That said, except for the horrendously expensive cost of living and rapidly aging population, and their multiple dip zombie economy, I hear it's a pretty nice place to live.

I wouldn't say the cost of living is higher than NYC.

b t dubs, it is. New York ranks 27th and Tokyo 2nd according to this survey by Mercer Management Consulting. To give you a reference, London ranks 17th and Hong Kong 8th.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Take a Radioshack stuff 300 people inside, shut off the toilet and AC and you got yourself Tokyo

rickynwhyc

Postby rickynwhyc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
rickynwhyc wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I'm sure Japanese biglaw isn't handing out $500k jobs like candy, so probably should keep that in mind, and you should have read the disclosure at the bottom. The earnings are neither representative nor averages.

And you might want to make sure you're allowed to sit for the Japanese bar first (or somehow get licensed). And that you speak fluent Japanese. And that you have some American biglaw experience (I'm sure they have their pick of laterals/internals so they don't have to hire a fresh grad for their Tokyo office).

That said, except for the horrendously expensive cost of living and rapidly aging population, and their multiple dip zombie economy, I hear it's a pretty nice place to live.

I wouldn't say the cost of living is higher than NYC.

b t dubs, it is. New York ranks 27th and Tokyo 2nd according to this survey by Mercer Management Consulting. To give you a reference, London ranks 17th and Hong Kong 8th.
Borhas wrote:Take a Radioshack stuff 300 people inside, shut off the toilet and AC and you got yourself Tokyo

lmao. I'm sure there are SOME advantages to living there. Cell phone vending machines? I blame the dollar for being so weak.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”