UVA (good fit) vs U of C (OK fit) for an academic career

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
masochist

UVA (good fit) vs U of C (OK fit) for an academic career

Postby masochist » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 pm

After getting my LSAT scores in I suppose that I cannot procrastinate making a decision regarding applications any longer. I eventually want either an academic position or a position with the government. If given the choice, my preference would be an academic position. Taking this into consideration what would you do …

1) Apply ED to Chicago because they produce a lot of professors even though the specific faculty they have are not as good of a fit with my research interests as other schools’ faculties.

2) Apply ED to UVA because their faculty provide the perfect fit for my research interests even though they are not considered quite as prestigious as U of C within academic circles.

3) Join the circus or a punk rock band. Maybe start a punk rock circus.

Sentry

Re: UVA (good fit) vs U of C (OK fit) for an academic career

Postby Sentry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:36 pm

UVA. You seem like you really want UVA more. Also, your numbers make it likely you won't get UChicago even with an ED.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Sentry wrote:UVA. You seem like you really want UVA more. Also, your numbers make it likely you won't get UChicago even with an ED.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:31 pm

UChi would more than likely let in 170.3.6 ED. That said, fit matters. If UVA is what OP wants, he should go there and save some money on COL loans.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:UChi would more than likely let in 170.3.6 ED. That said, fit matters. If UVA is what OP wants, he should go there and save some money on COL loans.

Really? I'm worried about not getting in as a 3.6 172 EDer.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:37 pm

I was actually thinking about this same decision (ED C or V). I picked V and I'm thrilled with my choice, but I don't want a career in academia. For academia, I think you have to go with C.

Also, C has an ED deadline and V does not, so if you do get dinged there, you can always throw an ED to V.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Sentry wrote:
dresden doll wrote:UChi would more than likely let in 170.3.6 ED. That said, fit matters. If UVA is what OP wants, he should go there and save some money on COL loans.

With an early app, you'd probably get in RD. You're worrying too much. You're practically a lock. Unless there are some huge red flags in your app, I tentatively wish you a welcome to Hyde Park.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:40 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Sentry wrote:

With an early app, you'd probably get in RD. You're worrying too much. You're practically a lock. Unless there are some huge red flags in your app, I tentatively wish you a welcome to Hyde Park.

:D :D :D I hope so :D :D :D

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 pm

masochist wrote:After getting my LSAT scores in I suppose that I cannot procrastinate making a decision regarding applications any longer. I eventually want either an academic position or a position with the government. If given the choice, my preference would be an academic position. Taking this into consideration what would you do …

1) Apply ED to Chicago because they produce a lot of professors even though the specific faculty they have are not as good of a fit with my research interests as other schools’ faculties.

2) Apply ED to UVA because their faculty provide the perfect fit for my research interests even though they are not considered quite as prestigious as U of C within academic circles.

3) Join the circus or a punk rock band. Maybe start a punk rock circus.

To get academia you need to do very well at either school. Pick the school that will be the best fit for you - where you feel most comfortable/happiest and where you think you can work hard and do well.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:59 pm

This might be a rationalization because I didn't do as well as I wanted to on the LSAT but you should try to go to UVA. The only thing that law schools care more about when hiring faculty than JD institution and grades is what they have published. A UVA in the top 10% of his or her class that goes on to publish good work >>>>> Chicago graduate in top 5% with 0 publishing.

Plus there are alternative ways to a professorship. If you don't do as well in law school as you hope (not top 5% or 10%), work for a few years and work to get get published while paying off you loans. If that doesn't work, go get a Ph.D. in a complementary discipline or even in law from another country. If you keep publishing someone will hire you even if it's not a top 10 school right after a clerkship.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:36 pm

AreJay711 wrote:This might be a rationalization because I didn't do as well as I wanted to on the LSAT but you should try to go to UVA. The only thing that law schools care more about when hiring faculty than JD institution and grades is what they have published. A UVA in the top 10% of his or her class that goes on to publish good work >>>>> Chicago graduate in top 5% with 0 publishing.

This makes no sense, why are you assuming that one is more likely to publish at UVA than at Chicago? It's more like top 5% at UVA + good publishing = top 10% at Chicago + good publishing for similar academic jobs.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Sentry wrote:UVA. You seem like you really want UVA more. Also, your numbers make it likely you won't get UChicago even with an ED.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:41 pm

With your numbers, I would ED to Michigan ASAP. They have the best academic placement outside of HYSCCN.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 am

im_blue wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:This might be a rationalization because I didn't do as well as I wanted to on the LSAT but you should try to go to UVA. The only thing that law schools care more about when hiring faculty than JD institution and grades is what they have published. A UVA in the top 10% of his or her class that goes on to publish good work >>>>> Chicago graduate in top 5% with 0 publishing.

This makes no sense, why are you assuming that one is more likely to publish at UVA than at Chicago? It's more like top 5% at UVA + good publishing = top 10% at Chicago + good publishing for similar academic jobs.

If you have strong faculty support and interest research is SO much easier. Granted, I've never been published but I've done some research that has some potential and when you have a faculty member that really takes an interest in what you're doing, the quality of the final product is much, much higher than if he or she is more interested in other things. Mentoring the OP gets from law school profs may go a long way in helping to get published especially during school but after as well.

I think the same thing for Michigan too. If you know what faculty you want to work with at UVA go for it. I applied ED to Michigan but that was because there isn't a school in my range that has faculty that I'm really excited to work with but I think the ability to enroll in other departments makes up for that.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 am

For academia, University of Chicago wins (and by a pretty decent margin too). As others have said, it won't be easy still.

What is the good fit with UVA? Why is Chicago an ok fit? This information could help.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:18 pm

bauerahl wrote:For academia, University of Chicago wins (and by a pretty decent margin too). As others have said, it won't be easy still.

What is the good fit with UVA? Why is Chicago an ok fit? This information could help.

Going out on a limb here - but, there's a huge personality difference between these two schools - i.e., the type of person who would be happy at UVA will probably not be happy at Chicago and vice versa.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:07 am

vamedic03 wrote:
bauerahl wrote:For academia, University of Chicago wins (and by a pretty decent margin too). As others have said, it won't be easy still.

Going out on a limb here - but, there's a huge personality difference between these two schools - i.e., the type of person who would be happy at UVA will probably not be happy at Chicago and vice versa.

Potentially, I agree. But until the OP tells us, we won't know. Is it the 'fun' culture of uva vs. the 'not fun' culture of chicago? Is it the weather? Is it being close to family? Is it being close to significant others? Is it having friends already at one school? There are a huge number of reasons why one school would be a better fit. And, depending on the reasons, that could help the rest of us point the OP in the 'right' direction.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:02 am

bauerahl wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Potentially, I agree. But until the OP tells us, we won't know. Is it the 'fun' culture of uva vs. the 'not fun' culture of chicago? Is it the weather? Is it being close to family? Is it being close to significant others? Is it having friends already at one school? There are a huge number of reasons why one school would be a better fit. And, depending on the reasons, that could help the rest of us point the OP in the 'right' direction.

I suppose. I mean, a good fit is a good fit. You're either going to tell him "suck it up," or "go with your heart." Not really sure how useful we're going to be once he tells us why one is a better fit over another.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:52 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bauerahl wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

I suppose. I mean, a good fit is a good fit. You're either going to tell him "suck it up," or "go with your heart." Not really sure how useful we're going to be once he tells us why one is a better fit over another.

suck it up and go to the better school that would better accomplish your LONG term goals.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:02 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
bauerahl wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

There are varying degrees of fit. It's not always clear, particularly to a 0L, whether a given factor is important. Of course, there are many factors where it is easy to decide its relative importance. But take the factor of weather. Perhaps, the OP feels Virginia's weather is just perfect; he doesn't exactly mind the cold and wind but charlottesville is ideal (4 seasons, moderate winters, whatever). Is that worth the slight loss in prestige or the somewhat significant difference in academic placement? That's a difficult enough determination even knowing the factor is weather. If you don't know the factors, you've made it much more difficult (yes, I understand that just knowing the factors isn't enough but that, of course, isn't the point).

mst

Postby mst » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 am

Predictions:
Chicago: W/L without ED; OK Shot with ED
Michigan: In with a good application & Why Michigan
UVA: Who knows? ED should lock this up, but they could very much W/L you, and it wouldn't be a surprise.

If my vote counts, I say ED to Chicago. But if you like UVA, my bet is that you will like Mich more than Chicago, so you might just wanna go RD for Mich. Mich > UVA in this situation, IMO

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:09 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”