Northwestern VS WUSTL/MIN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rayiner

Re: Northwestern VS WUSTL/MIN

Postby rayiner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 am

Remnantofisrael wrote:Also, just for my sanity, the common thought is I'd have a greater chance getting a decent job in KC, STL, perhaps even minnesota, if I went to Northwestern over minny/wustl? What if I interned in chicago and not those other cities?

If you have ties (which it seems like you do), they don't decrease just because you intern somewhere else.

Half the people here at NU are from the midwest and a lot of them want to stay. It's not like firms in KC, STL, MN, etc, consider NU to be some outside entity full of carpetbaggers.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 am

SBL wrote:
rayiner wrote:It's not just local firms that want ties either. Every interviewer at Kirkland asked me whether I was from Chicago and why I wanted to stay here.

I feel like in a city as big as Chicago, you can get away with a good answer to this part. (I did fine in SF/LA interviews with this despite not being from either of those cities) though, whereas smaller secondaries (let's say Sacramento) basically require you to have grown up there, have a spouse there, and be on a 30-yr mortgage there before they give you a CB.

I mean, I got away with a good answer, but I still got grilled about it. My point is simply that if a big national firm like Kirkland grills you on your ties, you can just imagine what regional firms are like.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

rayiner wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:Also, just for my sanity, the common thought is I'd have a greater chance getting a decent job in KC, STL, perhaps even minnesota, if I went to Northwestern over minny/wustl? What if I interned in chicago and not those other cities?

If you have ties (which it seems like you do), they don't decrease just because you intern somewhere else.

Half the people here at NU are from the midwest and a lot of them want to stay. It's not like firms in KC, STL, MN, etc, consider NU to be some outside entity full of carpetbaggers.

This.

If faced with this choice, go to NW unless you have a full ride at WUSTL/Minny or close to it.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Bumi wrote:
thexfactor wrote:No but you are bringing up examples that are just not realistic.

Um, that's the point. Do you write that on hypo exams?

What do you want me to say? do you want me to say that being from stl or kc is the be all or end all to getting hired in that market? Obviously not.
No it s one of several factors. I said that good grades are necessary but not sufficient. Then they look at connections.

I went through OCI at wustl. The only transfers that have jobs right now in the STL or KC area are the ones that have connections to the STL or KC areas.
I got my job in a secondary city because I have connections to the area too.

tome

Postby tome » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I faced this same decision (minus UMN, since I withdrew from them well before WUSTL).

I have STRONG ties to both KC and STL. About as strong as you can get, really, to KC, and almost as strong to STL.

I got shut out of both KC and STL at OCI. Got offers in three other sought after markets that "care about ties," to which I had no ties. I'm very happy how OCI worked out, but it would have been nice to have had the option to be home (even if it wouldn't have changed my decision of where I went).

Wait, you did OCI already? Didn't you start in like June?

May... and yes, I did OCI already. NU considers us 2L's now, although I think that's kind of silly, I will have one less class than the regular 2012 class by the end of May.

You think it is silly and yet you signed up for the program ... When the fuck else were you going to do OCI? After your second summer when it is already too late to actually do a summer program?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:11 pm

tome wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I faced this same decision (minus UMN, since I withdrew from them well before WUSTL).

I have STRONG ties to both KC and STL. About as strong as you can get, really, to KC, and almost as strong to STL.

I got shut out of both KC and STL at OCI. Got offers in three other sought after markets that "care about ties," to which I had no ties. I'm very happy how OCI worked out, but it would have been nice to have had the option to be home (even if it wouldn't have changed my decision of where I went).

Wait, you did OCI already? Didn't you start in like June?

May... and yes, I did OCI already. NU considers us 2L's now, although I think that's kind of silly, I will have one less class than the regular 2012 class by the end of May.

You think it is silly and yet you signed up for the program ... When the fuck else were you going to do OCI? After your second summer when it is already too late to actually do a summer program?

Dude, take your Midol and chillax. Was it really necessary to come in to a thread that was dead for two weeks to snap on somebody for a harmless comment?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
tome wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:May... and yes, I did OCI already. NU considers us 2L's now, although I think that's kind of silly, I will have one less class than the regular 2012 class by the end of May.

Dude, take your Midol and chillax. Was it really necessary to come in to a thread that was dead for two weeks to snap on somebody for a harmless comment?

Thanks Romo. I don't think doing OCI is silly... I just think it's kind of silly to call us 2Ls with 6 classes under our belt. I realize that they call us that for our own benefit, as the firms don't want to interview someone that isn't a 2L, and because people have a tendency to try and classify groups into already existing groups.

Now, take Romo's advice, and if that doesn't work, take some time away from studying to get some "stress relief."

Return to “Choosing a Law School”