What are your thoughts on UNC vs UGA vs Brooklyn?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
policestate1234

What are your thoughts on UNC vs UGA vs Brooklyn?

Postby policestate1234 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 pm

I wouldn't be paying sticker. I will have either a full ride to half tuition:

full ride Brooklyn
close to full ride UGA
half tuition for UNC

Career goals: I want to be a trial attorney. I am hoping to go to JAG then ADA or hopefully US Attorney's office.

Does it even matter which school I go to? Does any school offer me a better chance to transfer into HYS, if I do well?

HeavenWood

Re: What are your thoughts on UNC vs UGA vs Brooklyn?

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:23 pm

Never go to law school banking on transferring.

Going to Brooklyn won't find you work, whereas UGA and UNC actually place in their regions.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 pm

The other poster is being way too harsh.

With Brooklyn you have to consider the high cost of living. UGA and UNC are probably going to be cheaper options even though the scholarship amount is less.

UNC and UGA grads don't have it easy by any means, but with UNC you get the benefit of going to a very well respected school that is tops in its market. That should help in your job search.

With UGA, you've got a school that faces some competition for a small number of jobs, but is functionally the same as the higher ranked schools in the region for purposes of Atlanta.

At both of those schools, you're probably going to have a rough time outside the top 25-30% (I'm not talking "biglaw exclusively, but biglaw + other market, close to market firm jobs).

Brooklyn is going to be tough. While the scholarship you have is great, the competition there is going to be terrible. For a school like UNC or UGA, one can generally say "if you're inside the top 15% or so, you're not going to have to worry much about getting a job in the immediate area." At Brooklyn, I don't know if there is a number outside the top 5% that allows you to say that. There are just that many people from better schools interested in the market.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:The other poster is being way too harsh.

With Brooklyn you have to consider the high cost of living. UGA and UNC are probably going to be cheaper options even though the scholarship amount is less.

UNC and UGA grads don't have it easy by any means, but with UNC you get the benefit of going to a very well respected school that is tops in its market. That should help in your job search.

With UGA, you've got a school that faces some competition for a small number of jobs, but is functionally the same as the higher ranked schools in the region for purposes of Atlanta.

At both of those schools, you're probably going to have a rough time outside the top 25-30% (I'm not talking "biglaw exclusively, but biglaw + other market, close to market firm jobs).

Brooklyn is going to be tough. While the scholarship you have is great, the competition there is going to be terrible. For a school like UNC or UGA, one can generally say "if you're inside the top 15% or so, you're not going to have to worry much about getting a job in the immediate area." At Brooklyn, I don't know if there is a number outside the top 5% that allows you to say that. There are just that many people from better schools interested in the market.

The last way I want to come across is harsh. But in this economy, Brooklyn is just not a sound idea. UNC and UGA aren't guaranteed paths to employment, either, but you do have a fighting chance. Plus, if you're in-state, you can graduate with far less debt.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Where do you want to work?
Gov't jobs are pretty selective, so I'd go with UGA or UNC. I'm a UGA 1L, you can PM if you have questions about it.

Edit: I am sure most LS do, but UGA claims that is is a trail advocacy beast. So, if that is your thing, you have a lot of related opportunities here.
Last edited by eandy on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:45 pm

One vote for UNC.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:with UNC you get the benefit of going to a very well respected school that is tops in its market

Ya, what market is that? Chapel Hill? Carrboro? UNC is definitely a well respected school if you are looking for a job in the Carolinas, but it is still (and always will be) a distant second, closely followed by WFU.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:with UNC you get the benefit of going to a very well respected school that is tops in its market

Ya, what market is that? Chapel Hill? Carrboro? UNC is definitely a well respected school if you are looking for a job in the Carolinas, but it is still (and always will be) a distant second, closely followed by WFU.

Wake over UNC? You're gonna have to back that one up with some evidence for me...

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm

No, Duke>>>>UNC>Wake

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:

Wake over UNC? You're gonna have to back that one up with some evidence for me...

I think he means after Duke.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:52 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:No, Duke>>>>UNC>Wake

This is true but remember that most Dukies aren't looking for jerbs in the Carolinas. If you want that market UNC's low tuition is pretty money. (pun intended)

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:56 pm

i'd go with UNC

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

One of my profs used to be a partner in a firm in Charlotte. He says the legal market is pretty much dead there, FWIW. It's probably not worth fighting over it in this thread.

also lol@ the idea that UNC is more prestigious than UGA.

Everyone knows UNC and UGA students are equally fucked.
Last edited by eandy on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

Second vote for UNC

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:00 am

Bad economy = bottom 50% of Dookies looking for shitlaw jobs in the Carolinas.
Charlotte is struggling now; Raleigh is definitely not.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:05 am

Definitely take the close-to-full-ride at UGA. That's the most bang for the buck in terms of buying job prospects, which is what you are buying from a law school.

UGA is a better school with better job placement than Brooklyn and is going to cost less when you consider housing.

UGA is about the same as UNC, but will be cheaper for you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:06 am

D-ROCCA wrote:No, Duke>>>>UNC>Wake

lol how did I forget the Dookies!!?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:06 am

You're all fucking retarded.

You guys are picking schools and have neglected that he wants to go from JAG->US Attorney's Office.

Address this before this thread goes on.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:13 am

Well the cheapest school is all that matters with JAG if his choices are those three. The thing is, he may change his mind. I have a couple of classmates who came in wanting to do jag, got accepted into the uber competitive first year student jag program, then decided they don't want to do jag.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Well the cheapest school is all that matters with JAG if his choices are those three. The thing is, he may change his mind. I have a couple of classmates who came in wanting to do jag, got accepted into the uber competitive first year student jag program, then decided they don't want to do jag.

HE IS GOING TO JAG TO LATERAL OVER TO CIVILIAN LAW...

If you guys don't see the flaw in this reasoning and why it should be address... /TLS.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:16 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Well the cheapest school is all that matters with JAG if his choices are those three. The thing is, he may change his mind. I have a couple of classmates who came in wanting to do jag, got accepted into the uber competitive first year student jag program, then decided they don't want to do jag.

If you guys don't see the flaw in this reasoning and why it should be address... /TLS.

That was ignored because it was silly. He'll figure that out by the time he does any real time in law school. I addressed the question as if he would never even go into JAG to begin with.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:18 am

ResolutePear wrote:You're all fucking retarded.

That is not how professionals conduct themselves in public.

ResolutePear wrote:You guys are picking schools and have neglected that he wants to go from JAG->US Attorney's Office.

Address this before this thread goes on.

It is not the major consideration. For a hypothetical far-future lateral move by someone who has several years of experience at that point, these schools won't be decisive. It's not as if OP's alternatives are Yale or Florida Coastal.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

That was ignored because it was silly. He'll figure that out by the time he does any real time in law school. I addressed the question as if he would never even go into JAG to begin with.

That makes this thread irrelevant and all who post on it a bunch of trolling LS-jockriders.

/thread.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:23 am

RP, what are you talking about bro?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:23 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

That makes this thread irrelevant and all who post on it a bunch of trolling LS-jockriders.

/thread.

Are you ok? Do you have a fever or something?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”