is USC worth Sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JD=Doctor

Bronze

is USC worth Sticker?

Post by JD=Doctor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:20 pm

my numbers 166 / 3.76 (UCLA)

Im considering a retake but lets pretend there is no re-take.

is it worth the effort of weezling my way to an interview and puling tricks to jump over the hump? (my GPA is above their 75th% and my lsat is 1 pt below their median (but they seem to love that 167)

I want to work in LA i can also ED to UCLA.... but assuming i get into either do i automatically go over $$ @ pepperdine/loyola ect..

HowdyYall

Bronze

Re: is USC worth Sticker?

Post by HowdyYall » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:23 pm

hey JD doctor, what are the most recent medians for USC for GPA/LSAT? cant find them anywhere (sorry for not being helpful :))

oh and from what ive heard if you ED UCLA they're pretty bad about being stingy with the money

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:35 pm

167/3.64 so you are over/under.
UCLA is 168/3.77 you are under both, I don't think you will get much if any money at UCLA if you get in.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:35 pm

"weezling?" really? you're making UCLA grads look bad. You have a shot at 'SC, but re-take. Same with UCLA. And yeah, I think USC is the lowest ranked school that is legitimately worth sticker. But there is an argument that BC/BU, GWU and Fordham are too.

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:00 pm

tallboone wrote:"weezling?" really? you're making UCLA grads look bad. You have a shot at 'SC, but re-take. Same with UCLA. And yeah, I think USC is the lowest ranked school that is legitimately worth sticker. But there is an argument that BC/BU, GWU and Fordham are too.

lol (sorry :oops: ) if i submit my apps by this Friday and they see that i am registered for December to they auto WL me or just not give me any notice?

Should i ED to UCLA (Deadline: Nov 15 ...roughly 2 weeks) my last few PTs were 172 170 169 168 165 i took the sabeth observer test so i dont know my break down but im confident i Aced the games i felt LR was harder then usual and RC was average. The curve was definitely not as generous as regular test takers.
If i ED i give up my chance at $$ at `SC and i know people with not especially strong numbers getting money by negotiating and bringing other school's offers in to the loop.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Not worth sticker.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm a big fan of the re-take, because unless you are 25 or 26, waiting another year won't kill you. Send in your apps, and if you are comfortable EDing you UCLA, you should do that, but in general I think it is better to apply regular decision this year, re-take the Dec. test and if you don't like your choices this year, apply again next year. Get some more experience under your belt. Work/travel/live for a year and join the class of 2015.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:24 pm

rad law wrote:Not worth sticker.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm

What do you mean by, "weezling to an interview"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:07 pm

just get someone else to pay you under the table like Reggie Bush

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm

tallboone wrote:I'm a big fan of the re-take, because unless you are 25 or 26, waiting another year won't kill you. Send in your apps, and if you are comfortable EDing you UCLA, you should do that, but in general I think it is better to apply regular decision this year, re-take the Dec. test and if you don't like your choices this year, apply again next year. Get some more experience under your belt. Work/travel/live for a year and join the class of 2015.
why would waiting not "kill you" at 24 but it would at 25 or 26?

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:49 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:What do you mean by, "weezling to an interview"?

They dont offer interviews but their are ways get yourself 10-15 minutes with the dean... and hopefully wow him> but it takes a lot of effort)

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:03 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:

They dont offer interviews but their are ways get yourself 10-15 minutes with the dean... and hopefully wow him> but it takes a lot of effort)
Hm.. I am intrigued by this. Mind PMing me so info?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:06 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
JD=Doctor wrote:

Hm.. I am intrigued by this. Mind PMing me so info?
done.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:my numbers 166 / 3.76 (UCLA)

Im considering a retake but lets pretend there is no re-take.

is it worth the effort of weezling my way to an interview and puling tricks to jump over the hump? (my GPA is above their 75th% and my lsat is 1 pt below their median (but they seem to love that 167)

I want to work in LA i can also ED to UCLA.... but assuming i get into either do i automatically go over $$ @ pepperdine/loyola ect..
Sticker at UCLA over $$ at lower schools for sure. USC is a tougher call.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
rad law wrote:Not worth sticker.

dihydrogenmonoxide

New

Post by dihydrogenmonoxide » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 pm

Would those of you saying its not worth sticker mind saying:

1) What is the lowest ranked school worth sticker in your opinion?
2) Why specifically isn't USC worth sticker? Small chance at biglaw?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 pm

dihydrogenmonoxide wrote:Would those of you saying its not worth sticker mind saying:

1) What is the lowest ranked school worth sticker in your opinion?
2) Why specifically isn't USC worth sticker? Small chance at biglaw?
1) I'd only pay full boat for HYSCCN
2) Yep.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 am

No. To put it plainly, I wouldn't attend a school that pretty much only places into an arguably small market that isn't really hiring. You should also keep your mind open to working outside of CA.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 am

is USC worth Sticker?
No.

You don't have to get a law degree to qualify for cleaning TTToilets.

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:39 pm

irishman86 wrote:No. To put it plainly, I wouldn't attend a school that pretty much only places into an arguably small market that isn't really hiring. You should also keep your mind open to working outside of CA.

With my 3.75/166 where else should i consider (put $ if id get $ there .... and why i should consider that school)

If Dozo had better job prospects i would love to go there. Great location - NY is awesome, Great professors (All those professors who are forced to be in NY not all can be at NYU/CLS), students seem to like it a lot there, and i would prob get full$$ possibly with extra stipends.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:39 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:
irishman86 wrote:No. To put it plainly, I wouldn't attend a school that pretty much only places into an arguably small market that isn't really hiring. You should also keep your mind open to working outside of CA.

With my 3.75/166 where else should i consider (put $ if id get $ there .... and why i should consider that school)

If Dozo had better job prospects i would love to go there. Great location - NY is awesome, Great professors (All those professors who are forced to be in NY not all can be at NYU/CLS), students seem to like it a lot there, and i would prob get full$$ possibly with extra stipends.
166? Depends on the region you want to work. My first inclination is to say enjoy Emory.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:44 am

rad law wrote:
JD=Doctor wrote:

166? Depends on the region you want to work. My first inclination is to say enjoy Emory.
No. Emory is sucking huge balls (read the TLS threads on Emory's OCI) and Atlanta isn't exactly a flourishing market.

I would seriously just retake the LSAT. If you got a 166 the first time, it's not that far nor that hard to get a 170+.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:04 am

"sticker" is only half of the question. the other half is "how much debt?"

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:06 am

irishman86 wrote:
rad law wrote:
JD=Doctor wrote:

No. Emory is sucking huge balls (read the TLS threads on Emory's OCI) and Atlanta isn't exactly a flourishing market.

I would seriously just retake the LSAT. If you got a 166 the first time, it's not that far nor that hard to get a 170+.
If 166 is the best you can do, Emory is a decent option. Just don't go without money and don't think you're getting biglaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”