Dumb Q, but how are scholarships and grants awarded?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SortOfObsessed

Dumb Q, but how are scholarships and grants awarded?

Postby SortOfObsessed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi all,

This is probably going to be an incredibly dumb question, but how are scholarships and grants awarded when you're accepted to a law school? Do you have to apply for them?

I went to an Undergrad where I didn't qualify for financial aid and my parents paid the full tuition. I have been trying to research the FAFSA process for law school and I just don't really understand it.

If someone would be so kind as to explain some of this to me, I would really appreciate it. I apologize in advance if this question is stupid.

For reference, GPA 3.7, LSAT 167. I am applying to UC Davis, UC Hastings, Boston University, Cornell, and Ohio State.

Thank you!

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Dumb Q, but how are scholarships and grants awarded?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:36 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:Hi all,

This is probably going to be an incredibly dumb question, but how are scholarships and grants awarded when you're accepted to a law school? Do you have to apply for them?

I went to an Undergrad where I didn't qualify for financial aid and my parents paid the full tuition. I have been trying to research the FAFSA process for law school and I just don't really understand it.

If someone would be so kind as to explain some of this to me, I would really appreciate it. I apologize in advance if this question is stupid.

For reference, GPA 3.7, LSAT 167. I am applying to UC Davis, UC Hastings, Boston University, Cornell, and Ohio State.

Thank you!

Typically, after you have been admitted, the law school will put your name up for scholarships. If you qualify, they will let you know.

Good luck.

PS. I welcome you, fellow child of privilege.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Some schools let you know with acceptances, others let you know later.

They are almost exclusively numbers-based.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:43 pm

haha thank you. I have been incredibly fortunate that my parents have invested so much in my education.

The reason I ask is that I don't know grants and scholarships work. When people say that they have a good lsat/good gpa and that qualifies them for scholarship money, how exactly do they procure it?? Do they schools just give it to them as an incentive to attend, or are there hoops involved?

I know I need to take out loans for law school, and coming out of undergrad I am flat broke. However, my parents are willing to pay $40,000 of law school tuition each year. The rest I have to borrow/come up with somehow/sell my body. Right now I'm confused as to how to go about with coming up with it.

=

And kalvano, on the off chance, do you know what my chances of getting $$ at UC Davis? 3.7, 167.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:51 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:haha thank you. I have been incredibly fortunate that my parents have invested so much in my education.

The reason I ask is that I don't know grants and scholarships work. When people say that they have a good lsat/good gpa and that qualifies them for scholarship money, how exactly do they procure it?? Do they schools just give it to them as an incentive to attend, or are there hoops involved?

I know I need to take out loans for law school, and coming out of undergrad I am flat broke. However, my parents are willing to pay $40,000 of law school tuition each year. The rest I have to borrow/come up with somehow/sell my body. Right now I'm confused as to how to go about with coming up with it.

=

And kalvano, on the off chance, do you know what my chances of getting $$ at UC Davis? 3.7, 167.

The school literally sends an email / letter that says "Congratulations, based on your excellent academic accomplishments, we here at Joe Blow University have awarded you $XXX should you decide to attend."

Some schools have a grade stipulation, or a class rank stipulation. Others don't. Some scholarships are only awarded for the first year, others are for each year. It will be spelled out in the letter.

They are essentially trying to buy you. The closer you get to "reach" schools, the less money (if any) you will get. You've got decent numbers and should see some money in the 15-35 range. The closer to 35 you go, the more money you will get.

I don't know anything about California schools. California is weird.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”