Schools with a focus on non-Anglo-Saxon legal systems?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LogicalBaozi

Schools with a focus on non-Anglo-Saxon legal systems?

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I was just curious what decent schools had a strong focus on Public Interest/advocacy, especially internationally.

What I would be looking for: any schools that have decent connections/focus on service, especially internationally/in developing countries. An example of what I'd like to do: I spent some of the time I should have been prepping for the LSAT this fall trying to translate Chinese property law from Chinese legalese into regular vernacular. Other fun things might be trying to help Indian or African startups with legal issues, advocate for Chinese IP pirates, and other fun, worthwhile legal activities that don't pay enough to repay your loans for law school.

Schools like Berkeley jumped out because of certain strengths in their programs; I learned Chinese, and they have a strong focus on Asian law and IP law, so that would be a good mix. But a huge proportion of their grads go into traditional law practice (BigLaw); it being Berkeley, I'm sure there's enough soft-hearted money-hating liberals that don't follow that route, but is it encouraged/are there internships available? What about NYU and CLS? What other lesser-known schools have a focus on legal advocacy for people too poor to pay you, but are still fairly high ranked? (Note: I don't have a snowball's chance in a thermonuclear reactor to get into HYS, but NYU, CLS, and Berkeley are within range, given some luck!).
Last edited by LogicalBaozi on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonagan

Re: Schools with a strong focus on public interest/advocacy?

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:I was just curious what decent schools had a strong focus on Public Interest/advocacy, especially internationally.

I stopped reading after the bolded. "International" preceding any law school offering has about as much use or meaning as it does when it precedes "House of Pancakes." You are interested in a non-existent field of law that schools kill forests of trees hyping because it appeals to prospective students with no clue what they want to do.

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm interested in intergalactic real estate law can you point me the right direction?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:12 pm

HYS are best, CCN or Berkeley would probably give you a shot. Your real advantage is being fluent in Chinese, which may open some doors to you in international law that would be closed to others, but that would most likely be international corporate work, as in, BigLaw. There's not going to be many jobs there, especially since China tends not to like letting in outsiders who want to meddle with their law enforcement process.

Otherwise, as others have noted, there are simply not that many jobs out there that are both humanitarian and legally oriented. If you really want to do international humanitarian work, go join a human rights organization and do it. It doesn't take a law degree to help others, and you don't take on nearly as much debt if you skip the law school part.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Vanwinkle said it more politely and helpfully than I did.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:24 pm

Vanwinkle is right, to an extent. There are some human rights jobs that require law degrees (including a lot of work in the "EITI-type" fields) and others where it offers an advantage. He is right, however, that the jobs are very competitive, even in the best economies.

In terms of school, I think CLS and NYU both give significant advantages over the lower ranked T14, though Berkeley would also likely be a good place to go. I do know that there are lot of people doing China related research at CLS, but not as much in the human rights fields. They seem to be more business centered. I do have a friend doing a human rights/environmental law fellowship in China right now, but he was much more involved with environmental law than HR/international, and I suspect he'll end up working in domestic environmental law when his fellowship is over.

I'll add this: it's fine going to law school with an interest in international human rights law, but you should be able to imagine a legal career working on domestic issues that you would also enjoy. If you can't do that, then you may want to think about a different track to your dream job.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 am

Lonagan wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:I was just curious what decent schools had a strong focus on Public Interest/advocacy, especially internationally.

I stopped reading after the bolded. "International" preceding any law school offering has about as much use or meaning as it does when it precedes "House of Pancakes." You are interested in a non-existent field of law that schools kill forests of trees hyping because it appeals to prospective students with no clue what they want to do.

I apologize; perhaps I was not clear enough. I am very clear that international law is not a field, unless you're talking about those wonderful pie-in-the-sky ideals that really only exist on paper. My interest is in learning the national laws of foreign countries; rather than simply taking the Bar exam and practicing in NY, I'd like to have a chance to meet faculty and have the opportunity to become just as familiar with, say, German or Japanese IP law as American IP law. The only place "international" would come into would be agreements such as TRIPs.

My interests are far broader than human rights; to be honest, that's really only a secondary interest (also, putting "human rights lawyer" and "China" on your CV is a great way to get your visa denied). My personal interest has always been in intellectual property law, especially as it relates to developing economies well behind the technological frontier, and how the RD/investment vs. reinventing the wheel tradeoff changes as they move closer to it (yeah, I'm applying to econ PhD programs and pol sci programs as well, since all of these are in my interest areas).

So, a better rephrasing of my question might be:

What schools have an excellent focus on foreign law, especially non-Anglo-Saxon legal systems?

Any questions about what I might do with the law degree itself, or what subfield I might wish to specialize in, would be rather moot unless the above is answered.

tea_drinker

Re: Schools with a focus on non-Anglo-Saxon legal systems?

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 am

I am not so sure what you mean by non-anglo saxon legal system, but from what I gather, there are couple routes you should consider:

1. if you want to work for humanitarian groups or NGOs (e.g. WHO, UNICEF, etc.) HLS, CLS, GULC, in my opinion, are good choices. HLS is more well-known and more respectable than YLS internationally. SLS, UChi, NYU are not widely known (they are recognizable in certain European countries, but not across the board). GULC has the location of DC and being the best school in DC, where you have all sorts of international organizations. This certainly helps you in looking for either internship or externship.

2. If you solely look for job prospect in China, I would recommend HLS> SLS> Berkeley> UCLA> BU> UWashington. These schools are well known in China because they locate in town, where there is a large chinese population. The higher the rank, the better your job search will be. But the more important thing is to know the language fluently.

Hope this answers your question.

vanjones

Postby vanjones » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 am

You're obviously more interested in hating America and promoting your hateful nonsense than in going to law school. I hope you do end up going to China or similar where you can learn how well the Anglo-Saxon law system you despise protects human rights compared to your beloved third world dictatorships.

Obviously, you cannot go to any American law school to learn the law of a different country. If you want to learn Chinese law, go to a law school in China. If you want to learn Canadian law, go to Canada. You get the idea. Each country's law schools will teach their own laws. The closest thing that you might find in the United States is international law, but that will deal with treaties and such, not laws related to domestic situations.

Also, since you mention economics I'm surprised you do not know that IP does not matter in China or any other country where IP cannot be monetized. IP related to say music or movies (the popular types of IP) is only worth something in economies where the population will pay for the product (US/WesternEurope/Japan/etc). China might have a future in patent law, but that's about it. Anything else and you will be laughed out of their "courts."

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:46 am

vanjones wrote:You're obviously more interested in hating America and promoting your hateful nonsense than in going to law school. I hope you do end up going to China or similar where you can learn how well the Anglo-Saxon law system you despise protects human rights compared to your beloved third world dictatorships.

Obviously, you cannot go to any American law school to learn the law of a different country. If you want to learn Chinese law, go to a law school in China. If you want to learn Canadian law, go to Canada. You get the idea. Each country's law schools will teach their own laws. The closest thing that you might find in the United States is international law, but that will deal with treaties and such, not laws related to domestic situations.

Also, since you mention economics I'm surprised you do not know that IP does not matter in China or any other country where IP cannot be monetized. IP related to say music or movies (the popular types of IP) is only worth something in economies where the population will pay for the product (US/WesternEurope/Japan/etc). China might have a future in patent law, but that's about it. Anything else and you will be laughed out of their "courts."

No reason to hate, man. The OP was just asking a question. :P

Anyway, I think there are schools at there that partner with European law schools. For instance, one of the schools I applied to (can't remember which, sorry!) pairs a JD with a French law degree. If you want me to dig around to figure out which school that is, PM me.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 am

vanjones wrote:You're obviously more interested in hating America and promoting your hateful nonsense than in going to law school.

Trolling is prohibited.

Alting is prohibited.

Ban evasion (alting to evade an active ban on your account) is prohibited.

Trolling + alting + ban evasion =

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:46 am

Learning non-Anglo-Saxon legal systems isn't really going to help you land a job abroad. And to be honest, while being multilingual helps, it's not necessary for biglaw work abroad in a foreign office of a US firm.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:02 pm

irishman86 wrote:Learning non-Anglo-Saxon legal systems isn't really going to help you land a job abroad. And to be honest, while being multilingual helps, it's not necessary for biglaw work abroad in a foreign office of a US firm.

Thanks! That actually helps quite a bit ^^

Anyway, I think there are schools at there that partner with European law schools. For instance, one of the schools I applied to (can't remember which, sorry!) pairs a JD with a French law degree. If you want me to dig around to figure out which school that is, PM me.

PM'd.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:37 am

What is it about 0Ls that just know how to combine naivety and idealism with such ease and swagger?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 am

LogicalBaozi wrote:My interest is in learning the national laws of foreign countries;

If you are interested in the law of a foreign country/region, by all means attend law school in that country/region. One would have to be a fool to attend law school here in the U.S. primarily to learn about law in a foreign system, unless time and money are of no consequence.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”