Best Social Life/Most "Fun" Schools in the top 20?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
peterb0y

Best Social Life/Most "Fun" Schools in the top 20?

Postby peterb0y » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:40 am

?

alirod12

Re: Best Social Life/Most "Fun" Schools in the top 20?

Postby alirod12 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

I was previously a non-believer, but UVA ftw.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Ill take horrible criteria for picking a school for 200, Alex.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 pm

my guesses would be UVa, Vandy, Texas, UCLA, Michigan, Stanford... based mostly on random people I've met that have gone there for law school or undergrad

======

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Ill take horrible criteria for picking a school for 200, Alex.

yeah, fuck happiness

who wants that

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Hahaha, seriously? We're talking about top schools here, not just most "fun" schools period. That would be stupid - if he/she was selecting solely based on the prospect of fun. But choosing, say, Virginia over Penn because it's supposed to be more fun and he/she will be happier? That sounds like a pretty good decision to me. Probably enhances law school performance, too.

?
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Ill take horrible criteria for picking a school for 200, Alex.

rockylo88

Postby rockylo88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 pm

whitman wrote:Hahaha, seriously? We're talking about top schools here, not just most "fun" schools period. That would be stupid - if he/she was selecting solely based on the prospect of fun. But choosing, say, Virginia over Penn because it's supposed to be more fun and he/she will be happier? That sounds like a pretty good decision to me. Probably enhances law school performance, too.

?

+1

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Idk I've always done best at school when I'm utterly miserable and brutally over-preparing for exams was the most fun I could have... seriously.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Borhas wrote:my guesses would be UVa, Vandy, Texas, UCLA, Michigan, Stanford... based mostly on random people I've met that have gone there for law school or undergrad

======

yeah, fuck happiness

who wants that

Right, because "fun" and "happiness" are the first to words that come to mind when speaking about law school...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:33 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Right, because "fun" and "happiness" are the first to words that come to mind when speaking about law school...

pussy, life's easier than you think

TT09

Postby TT09 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:32 am

Borhas wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Right, because "fun" and "happiness" are the first to words that come to mind when speaking about law school...

pussy, life's easier than you think

:lol: Made me laugh hysterically. Thank you for that.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:44 am

AreJay711 wrote:Idk I've always done best at school when I'm utterly miserable and brutally over-preparing for exams was the most fun I could have... seriously.

I'm so sorry.

Also: Yale.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:07 am

Loving BU.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:40 am

Much depends on what you mean by "fun." Allow me to generalize.

If "fun" means partying with frat boys, you'll be fine at basically any large university (except perhaps the Harvards and Yales of the world, which tend to be stocked with bookworms and senators' sons).

If "fun" means attending cultural events and meeting actual grown-ups, think about schools in big cities like New York, Chicago, DC, etc.

If "fun" means quiet weekends in a scenic countryside or hanging out with college town hippies, consider a small town school like Michigan or Cornell.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:52 am

omninode wrote:Much depends on what you mean by "fun." Allow me to generalize.

If "fun" means partying with frat boys, you'll be fine at basically any large university (except perhaps the Harvards and Yales of the world, which tend to be stocked with bookworms and senators' sons).

If "fun" means attending cultural events and meeting actual grown-ups, think about schools in big cities like New York, Chicago, DC, etc.

If "fun" means quiet weekends in a scenic countryside or hanging out with college town hippies, consider a small town school like Michigan or Cornell.

No

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Lol this is stupid.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:53 pm

forget t20, for most fun school shoot tulane an app. enjoy the free ride that comes with the party. double win?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:54 pm

this is literally some of the dumbest shit I have ever read

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:15 pm

Guys, this entire thread is stupid. I was just trying to shake it up a little with some late night douchebaggery. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities. I thought I would get more amusing responses than "lol this is stupid."

Does anybody really take these "what schools are fun???" threads seriously?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:18 pm

omninode wrote:Guys, this entire thread is stupid. I was just trying to shake it up a little with some late night douchebaggery. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities. I thought I would get more amusing responses than "lol this is stupid."

Does anybody really take these "what schools are fun???" threads seriously?

saving face, it's not working

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 pm

So I don't get a pass for my stupid, rambling, 3am post? So be it. Lesson learned.

For the record, I do think it is ridiculous to try to objectively state that one school is more fun than another, and I don't know what people hope to achieve by asking the question. And, of course, if you are in a position to choose between T20 schools, you have more important things to consider than how fun the schools are. Little things like, you know, what you want to be doing and where you want to live and work for the rest of your career.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:00 pm

I see absolutely no problem with trying to go to a school where you think you will have a better social life and the ability to do the activities you enjoy (ex. if you like museums, go to a big city, if you like a certain music scene, you might consider somewhere known for it). Law school doesn't have to be 'unfun.' It doesn't have to be the sole reason for your choice, but, it is something you should consider.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:38 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I see absolutely no problem with trying to go to a school where you think you will have a better social life and the ability to do the activities you enjoy (ex. if you like museums, go to a big city, if you like a certain music scene, you might consider somewhere known for it). Law school doesn't have to be 'unfun.' It doesn't have to be the sole reason for your choice, but, it is something you should consider.

Absolutely. But when you narrow it down to 20 top schools, then further narrow it down to the schools you can get into, I think factors like location, career opportunities, and cost of attendance (can I get a scholarship?) will probably be enough to decide where you want to go. I think it would be a mistake to let "fun" outweigh any of these factors. There is plenty of fun to be had at any of the top 20 schools.

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:32 am

Actually, the bigger the school is, per enrollment, generally the less fratastic it is; the LAC and smallish universities have Greek life going. OSU is ~7% Greek with ~36K UG.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 am

gwuorbust wrote:forget t20, for most fun school shoot tulane an app. enjoy the free ride that comes with the party. double win?

I don't know about you, but unemployment isn't my idea of "fun"....

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:46 am

Whatever, I don't think the post is stupid, it's three years of your life. If it's the sole basis for making your decision, then yeah, your priorities are out of whack. But choosing between academically comparable schools, sure, find somewhere you'll be happy. Or maybe for jay711 somewhere you'll be unhappy lol.

But based on my undergrad experience, the answer to the question is... NYU, NYU and... NYU. Every band in the world comes through to do a show? Check. Incredibly diverse club/bar scene? Check. Best restaurants on the planet? We could argue this one all day. 24 hour city where you pretty much everything is at your fingertips? Check.

And just to troll...

No football team, so you don't have to deal with that crap that passes for socializing, culture, whatever it's supposed to be at other schools? Check.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”