Part-Time Programs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wintersm05

Part-Time Programs

Postby wintersm05 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of part-time programs?

I understand that tuition is usually lower, and the programs are four-years. But...
How easy is it to transfer into the full-time program?
Is part-time deemed "less worthy" during the job search?
Do they have an equal chance at summer placements?
Any additional information would be appreciated!

angiej

Re: Part-Time Programs

Postby angiej » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm

wintersm05 wrote:Can anyone explain the pros and cons of part-time programs?

I understand that tuition is usually lower, and the programs are four-years. But...

Tuition per credit hour is the same; tuition per year is obviously different. Some schools do not consider part-time applicants for scholarships. Your essentially taking one less class a semester than your full time classmates. Most law schools will allow you to transfer into the full time program following your 1L year. You will still have some catching up to do which will likely mean continuing to take summer classes (which all part-time students have to do).

It is more difficult to network and get summer placements because if your a part-time student, your still in school over the summer. This can hurt your post-graduation employment prospects.

Some schools have part-time day programs which allow you to take classes with full time students (and often this means greater course offerings available to part time students during the 2L and 3L years). Valpo for example, only has a part-time day program so all your classes are with full-time students. IU Indy for example is a school that only has a part time evening program - this means as a part time student, you may only take the classes available/offered in the evening, regardless if there is a day time class you'd prefer to take in your 2L and 3L years as your trying to specialize and focus on a particular area of law.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm considering part-time law school, so if you have any questions I'm happy to help and give my $0.02.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:03 pm

angiej wrote:

Tuition per credit hour is the same; tuition per year is obviously different. Some schools do not consider part-time applicants for scholarships. Your essentially taking one less class a semester than your full time classmates. Most law schools will allow you to transfer into the full time program following your 1L year. You will still have some catching up to do which will likely mean continuing to take summer classes (which all part-time students have to do).

It is more difficult to network and get summer placements because if your a part-time student, your still in school over the summer. This can hurt your post-graduation employment prospects.

Some schools have part-time day programs which allow you to take classes with full time students (and often this means greater course offerings available to part time students during the 2L and 3L years). Valpo for example, only has a part-time day program so all your classes are with full-time students. IU Indy for example is a school that only has a part time evening program - this means as a part time student, you may only take the classes available/offered in the evening, regardless if there is a day time class you'd prefer to take in your 2L and 3L years as your trying to specialize and focus on a particular area of law.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm considering part-time law school, so if you have any questions I'm happy to help and give my $0.02.

i'd possibly argue the exact opposite

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:11 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:
angiej wrote:

i'd possibly argue the exact opposite

Then let's hear it! I'd appreciate your input and I'm sure OP would as well.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:48 pm

As noted, tuition is the same per unit. It'll take you an extra year to finish so that's more cost in loans and an opportunity to work in the legal field.

It's pretty easy to transfer into the full time program. Many schools only require good standing to enter the full time program. However, some schools don't offer the opportunity to transfer, for example Loyola is strictly a 4 year program.

I would assume part-time people are "less worthy" when looking for jobs in light of full timers. I mean as an employer if you have an option of choosing between two people with the same GPA but one has juggled 15 units while the other has only handled 10 you would probably assume that the full timer is a bit more qualified. However, if you're working full-time and attending school part-time that might even up the playing field a bit. Even if you're not working full time i doubt employers will shut you out because you're a part timer.

As for summer placement, as far as I know you should have equal opportunities during the summer. However, you might be limited depending on your school and what field you want to be placed in. For example, at my school part timers don't take criminal law or crim pro their first year so if you're looking to enter that field you would be limited. But in general, part timers could still get a full time internship during the day (40 hrs a week) and still attend summer school if you plan on transferring to full time since summer school classes are held in the evenings.

Choosing between part time and full time is really up to you and how you feel about it. I really like part time because it allowed me to ease into law school and the smaller class size is a huge plus.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”