Albany Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kurt Cobain

Albany Law

Postby Kurt Cobain » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am

I got accepted to Albany yesterday. :D I like the idea of getting a chance to get an internship with the NY Government/NY Superior courts, but I'm a little unsure about the city/campus itself. I plan on visiting to get a feel for myself, but if anyone can give me some insight (ex. someone who has gone to Albany Law) about what the city and school are like, I'd appreciate it! Btw, I'm from Boston, so if people can compare it to Boston that would be ideal! Thanks! :D

bogart

Re: Albany Law

Postby bogart » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Great city. not the size of boston, but similiar in that both have educated populace and a classy vibe. Albany kills the capitol area and while their JD isn't national, it trumps all but the t14 in the hudson valley. As for types of people, they are similiar to bostonions/massholes; east coast types, aggresive but friendly.

chicago520

Postby chicago520 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 pm

bogart wrote:Great city. not the size of boston, but similiar in that both have educated populace and a classy vibe. Albany kills the capitol area and while their JD isn't national, it trumps all but the t14 in the hudson valley. As for types of people, they are similiar to bostonions/massholes; east coast types, aggresive but friendly.

I really don't agree with this. Albany is very poor academically: the students are sub-par, the professors are sub-par, and I heard the internships aren't what the school makes them out to be. I actually know a whole bunch of 2Ls there, and I cannot say that I am impressed at all. I am not sure how a school that is so old could still be so crappy. It says something; something negative.

As far as "trumping" anything in the HV, Albany has stiff TTT competition from Syracuse and Pace (and probably some other ones I am forgetting). Plus, don't forget the slew of city schools that may venture North, which certainly outrank Albany.

I cannot see the logic in going there under ANY circumstances...... :cry:

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 pm

chicago520 wrote:I cannot see the logic in going there under ANY circumstances...... :cry:

That's a little extreme. If you get a significant scholarship offer and want to remain in Albany the rest of your life, I hardly see how other NY schools like Cardozo, Brooklyn, or St. John's (in reference to the "slew of city schools") would be worth sticker. OP should definitely weigh his options before committing to a school like Albany, but it's hardly a life or death scenario.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 am

I agree with HeavenWood's comments above.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am

bogart wrote:Great city. not the size of boston, but similiar in that both have educated populace and a classy vibe. Albany kills the capitol area and while their JD isn't national, it trumps all but the t14 in the hudson valley. As for types of people, they are similiar to bostonions/massholes; east coast types, aggresive but friendly.

Yeah... Cause the employment prospects in the Hudson Valley are just awesome to being with.. Op wanted to know about the school.. Its just as good as any other low end JD Mill. You will wind up with a worthless piece of paper at the end. This paper will give you a lotto ticket's chance at doing well for yourself. A handfull (seriously like 25 people), from your graduating class will do very well over the course of their career. The rest will not. This is how TTTs work. I'm a TTT grad that escaped the pit of dispair that was my law school. Its not an easy road and most don't make.

Consider yourself warned..

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:03 am

I'm from Albany, and would say that Albany Law is respected at least locally. It's the only recognizable local school that produces JD. As for the vibe of Albany, it's what you make of it. The people are generally educated, and near Albany Law there is lark street and several bars, that are part of the alternative crowd. Albany night life is great. Don't know how it compares to Boston, but Albany is definitely smaller.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:41 pm

just visited there yesterday. Its a very small school, and is located very close to the capitol region. The buildings are near the medical school and pharmacy school. The faculty seem to be very nice, and willing to help. I applied there, as I wouldnt mind staying in Albany or western ny for the rest of my life. It does have some pull throughout Rochester, SYracuse and Albany. There are a few students who I've talked to that have offers in NYC.

If you wouldnt mind living within 100 miles of the school- then apply. There was one person who I talked to that was trying to re locate down south and doesnt have a job lined up as a 3L. ( why go to albany when you want to work in south florida). I would not recommend going or even applying there if you are thinking about re locating after school.

For me, Im considering every law school to be regional, especially with how things are looking right now. 3 years from now, who knows, but i would only apply to the schools in the region you want to practice.

hope this helps

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

U Albany is the 2nd largest concrete structure in the world. The city is like Cleveland with decaying government instead of decaying industry. On the bright side, you're not in nearby Troy New York, which might be as close to hell on earth as exists in the US.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:U Albany is the 2nd largest concrete structure in the world. The city is like Cleveland with decaying government instead of decaying industry. On the bright side, you're not in nearby Troy New York, which might be as close to hell on earth as exists in the US.

So true. Troy is maybe the worst place on Earth. I didn't think Albany was that much better though.

bogart

Postby bogart » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Just to clarify on the employment prospects:

RM is right in that they suck if you're looking for big city, big law (nyc, boston,etc); but if you are interested in staying in the area then the prospects are fine. Unless you are in the top 5% however, it is very unlikely you will make six figures any time soon, if ever. Like I said before though, it owns the Hudson Valley, and yes there are jobs there. Good luck and be sure to visit the campus and city, both are very nice.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:24 pm

bogart wrote:Just to clarify on the employment prospects:

RM is right in that they suck if you're looking for big city, big law (nyc, boston,etc); but if you are interested in staying in the area then the prospects are fine. Unless you are in the top 5% however, it is very unlikely you will make six figures any time soon, if ever. Like I said before though, it owns the Hudson Valley, and yes there are jobs there. Good luck and be sure to visit the campus and city, both are very nice.

do you think the prospects are fine in the area? There are 2 schools in the hudson region. Syracuse and Albany . Both schools pump out a total of 500 lawyers a year. Do you think the Hudson valley can support that? I dont think there is more than 1.5 million people in that area.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Syracuse is no where near the hudson valley, my guess is that Syracuse has more of a hold on the northern parts of NY. Albany is kind of a shit hole city and is NOTHING like Boston, it is significantly worse in every way, shape and form, except they dont have to deal with red sox fans. Albany is what it is, if you dont mind the area and would be willing to work there, or poughkipsee, or white plains (if you are lucky cause its actually fairly nice), then by all means go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”