Hastings? Emory? Fordham? Recruitment post-graduation?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
General Tso

Re: Hastings? Emory? Fordham? Recruitment post-graduation?

Postby General Tso » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:38 am

Borhas wrote:What about LA?

I won't pretend I know much, but my guess is that's where the bulk of firm jobs exist in CA

still, I definitely agree on PI/Gov't

I'm aiming for public defense work myself, though a post grad judicial clerkship would be awesome

There weren't many SoCal firms at Hastings OCI this year. I interviewed with two firms from LA and one from SD and got rejected at each of them. I've heard that things are pretty brutal down there, but after all their legal market is 4x larger than NorCal.

A clerkship is probably going to require top 5% grades. You can definitely do a summer externship though, a lot of top 1/3 people do those. I guess you know how bad public defense hiring is....many Bay Area PD offices are hiring unpaid full time attorneys. The Alameda DA was the only DA office that came to OCI, and they only hired 8 summers from 200 interviewees.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 am

General Tso wrote:
Borhas wrote:What about LA?

I won't pretend I know much, but my guess is that's where the bulk of firm jobs exist in CA

still, I definitely agree on PI/Gov't

I'm aiming for public defense work myself, though a post grad judicial clerkship would be awesome

There weren't many SoCal firms at Hastings OCI this year. I interviewed with two firms from LA and one from SD and got rejected at each of them. I've heard that things are pretty brutal down there, but after all their legal market is 4x larger than NorCal.

A clerkship is probably going to require top 5% grades. You can definitely do a summer externship though, a lot of top 1/3 people do those. I guess you know how bad public defense hiring is....many Bay Area PD offices are hiring unpaid full time attorneys. The Alameda DA was the only DA office that came to OCI, and they only hired 8 summers from 200 interviewees.

yeah I kind of figured any sort of government work here would be tough to get at this point, so it's partially a calculated bet that by the time I pass the bar the state will afford hiring people...know anything about panel PD work?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Borhas wrote:yeah I kind of figured any sort of government work here would be tough to get at this point, so it's partially a calculated bet that by the time I pass the bar the state will afford hiring people...know anything about panel PD work?

Yeah, you know I've talked to some 3Ls and it doesn't seem like 3L hiring is all that terrible at this point. I don't think we should give up hope just yet.

Nope...I don't know very much about crim careers in general.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:16 pm

The choice between Davis and Hastings should be made based on quality of life and personal taste, not rankings (I would bet money they'll go back to being about the same/somewhere in the '30s this year like they always are). Job prospects are about the same, both schools mainly feed into the SF/SV market. That said, and this is TOTALLY ANECDOTAL just based on friends/TLS, but:

At either school, you're pretty much hosed for getting a firm job if you're not at least in the top third (barring maybe URMs), but this year people in the top-20-30% range from Davis seem to have been having more luck than those w/similar grades at Hastings. Could be a side effect of the slight rankings bump this year, could be coincidence, could be me working from a small sample size and getting bad data.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”