Hastings? Emory? Fordham? Recruitment post-graduation?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rostovru

Hastings? Emory? Fordham? Recruitment post-graduation?

Postby rostovru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Little seems to be written about Hastings.

What's the story? Is it worth it? Are grads getting jobs? What kinds of jobs?

Does anyone make the argument that it's worth the investment to attend? Are there any biglaw recruitments?

I have similar questions regarding Fordham and Emory.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Hastings? Emory? Fordham? Recruitment post-graduation?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:53 pm

It's best to go to a school that has the least number of peers (or better schools) in its region - and this cannot be said about two of the schools you are referring to (Fordham/Hastings). However, meeting this requirement is sometimes not enough (Emory).

Unless you receive at least 1/2 scholarship at those three schools, then you shouldn't go. Seriously.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 pm

well the most recent empirical data on placement can be found here:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

These three schools are placing you in 3 corners of the country though, so it comes down to geographical preference, All three schools are only going to carry you within the vicinity of the market (barring strong contacts to another area of course). If you truly don't care where you want to go then Fordham, by virtue of being in the largest legal market in America, will get you the best chance at biglaw.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:56 pm

I wouldn't pay sticker at any of them.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's best to go to a school that has the least number of peers (or better schools) in its region - and this cannot be said about two of the schools you are referring to (Fordham/Hastings). However, meeting this requirement is sometimes not enough (Emory).

Unless you receive at least 1/2 scholarship at those three schools, then you shouldn't go. Seriously.

Emory's lack of close by peers is more than made up for by Duke/UVA/Vanderbilt crowding it's big feeder market (Atlanta), as all three of those schools look better for Atl hiring despite their distance.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:53 pm

So Hastings has clout in SF exclusively?

And with Fordham, would it be fair to put it in the same category as Cardozo?

As a side note, I'm pretty sure I will get into USC as I'm an alum and have good connections there (this, despite stats that are slightly lower than SC's norm), although I'm not wild about the idea. Would USC, however, carry more weight that the others mentioned, or is it still regionally limited?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 pm

rostovru wrote:So Hastings has clout in SF exclusively?

And with Fordham, would it be fair to put it in the same category as Cardozo?

As a side note, I'm pretty sure I will get into USC as I'm an alum and have good connections there (this, despite stats that are slightly lower than SC's norm), although I'm not wild about the idea. Would USC, however, carry more weight that the others mentioned, or is it still regionally limited?

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that, depending on what you mean by "good connections" and "slightly lower."

Fordham is definitely stronger than Cardozo but it is still behind every T14 in existence for NYC. Hastings has pull in norcal (probably less so in socal) and USC is the opposite. If you want to work in LA then I would choose USC over Hastings. If you wanted to work in norcal I would choose Hastings with scholly over USC.

Simply put, yes everything is extremely regional.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
rostovru wrote:I wouldn't necessarily bet on that, depending on what you mean by "good connections" and "slightly lower."

Just going by what my pre-law advisor mentioned. But you're right: It's certainly not bankable.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:09 pm

rostovru wrote:Just going by what my pre-law advisor mentioned. But you're right: It's certainly not bankable.

If your connections are merely that you went there for UG and have LOR's from profs there, I don't think that would save somebody who had numbers below both medians.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Another question: Does Hastings have a decent record with good placements with SF? I know there are many variables in that question, so fill in the blanks.

I'm still narrowing my options, and frankly am considering a number of cities given what I can acheive now.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:11 pm

rostovru wrote:Another question: Does Hastings have a decent record with good placements with SF? I know there are many variables in that question, so fill in the blanks.

I'm still narrowing my options, and frankly am considering a number of cities given what I can acheive now.

If you're asking whether Hastings has good biglaw placement then the answer is no. I really wouldn't want to be paying off full sticker Hastings debt on anything less than biglaw or LRAP.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 pm

rostovru wrote:Another question: Does Hastings have a decent record with good placements with SF? I know there are many variables in that question, so fill in the blanks.

Hastings is one of my top choices. They have a good record of placement. (record does not equal current placement). It seems to have a small presence in Big Law, but I think it is one of the largest law schools in the area so you have to keep this in mind. Hastings grads are everywhere.

Also it has a reputation for being rather difficult academically and having a ruthless curve.

But as other posters point out the market is lack luster.

I would pay sticker here only because I am a Ca resident and do not have undergraduate loans.

Hastings is also in one of the most beautiful areas of the city, the Tenderloin. On the way to class you can see bumbs sleeping, piles of human waste. It is really really fantastic. The night life is also something to be checked out.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm

I have decent grades (top 20-33%) and was completely shut out at OCI. My impression is that the SF market is being flooded with T14 students like never before. I think Hastings is a great school, and I still think I'll have a decent career at a smaller firm, but as far as big firms are concerned Hastings has become mostly an afterthought.

I would not attend this school unless you can do it under 75k debt. The same goes for Emory...their OCI was a total blowout this year. Fordham is the only school of these 3 that I would borrow 100-120k to attend.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 pm

General Tso wrote:

I have decent grades (top 20-33%) and was completely shut out at OCI. My impression is that the SF market is being flooded with T14 students like never before. I think Hastings is a great school, and I still think I'll have a decent career at a smaller firm, but as far as big firms are concerned Hastings has become mostly an afterthought.

I would not attend this school unless you can do it under 75k debt. The same goes for Emory...their OCI was a total blowout this year. Fordham is the only school of these 3 that I would borrow 100-120k to attend.

Any idea how it compares with Davis?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Any idea how it compares with Davis?

In before general tso loses his shit.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Any idea how it compares with Davis?

In before general tso loses his shit.

Why would I lose my shit?

Hastings and Davis are about the same in nearly every regard...I've said that all along. What I don't approve of is gaming the rankings the way Davis has done the last couple of years.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 pm

General Tso wrote:Why would I lose my shit?

Hastings and Davis are about the same in nearly every regard...I've said that all along. What I don't approve of is gaming the rankings the way Davis has done the last couple of years.

Jokes my friend.

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm

A decently good friend of mine graduated Pepperdine 10 years ago. He's just now paying off his student loans after spending about 7 years in 40-60k jobs.

If that happens to me or General Tso, I think we'll both be losing our shit.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 pm

rostovru wrote:Little seems to be written about Hastings.

What's the story? Is it worth it? Are grads getting jobs? What kinds of jobs?

Does anyone make the argument that it's worth the investment to attend? Are there any biglaw recruitments?

I have similar questions regarding Fordham and Emory.

I'm a 1L at UC Hastings

re: grads getting jobs and comparison w/ peers

--LinkRemoved--

not as good as Berkeley or Stanford, but on the plus side, they are one of the most open schools about results... very professional in that way. They don't game #'s to the extent many of their peers do. Seems like a lot of problems stem from the absolute insistence of Hastings grads wanting to work in San Francisco (who doesn't?).

notice the disparity in salary reporting compared with UC Davis:
--LinkRemoved--

higher median salary, but more importantly UC Davis is in the bottom quarter of ALL law schools with respect to the % of salaries their graduates report

I'd say it's probably the best bet if you want a clerkship or PI, it has one of the best loan repayment assistance programs in the country if you want to do public interest/service jobs. As far as Big Law, seems to be tough out there, probably on par with UC Davis.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Hastings is one of my top choices. They have a good record of placement. (record does not equal current placement). It seems to have a small presence in Big Law, but I think it is one of the largest law schools in the area so you have to keep this in mind. Hastings grads are everywhere.

Also it has a reputation for being rather difficult academically and having a ruthless curve.

But as other posters point out the market is lack luster.

I would pay sticker here only because I am a Ca resident and do not have undergraduate loans.

Hastings is also in one of the most beautiful areas of the city, the Tenderloin. On the way to class you can see bumbs sleeping, piles of human waste. It is really really fantastic. The night life is also something to be checked out.

The tenderloin is really not that bad, and the Civic Center, especially City Hall is legitimately one of the most beautiful areas of the city. But yeah people do use drugs on the street and beg for money, but it's really not much of a safety issue, though a girl did have her iPhone stolen a few weeks ago.

As for academic difficulty/curve... I think people here are actually very friendly and I've befriended a lot of smart, ethical, and generally cool people. The school throws a ton of money at social events. Beer on the "beach" is very popular (free beer for students on Thursdays). It's getting close to exam mode and I haven't noticed people being "competitive" yes, people work hard, it's fucking law school, but I haven't encountered dbaggery.

I was uncertain about my choice, but I am very glad I decided to come to school here. It's actually been very fun... good people, brilliant (and caring) professors, very accessible via subway, buses, bikes etc... it's really a perfect place for a law school.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:25 pm

I agree work in the Tenderloin. It isent that a bad I agree. Just a lot of piss and crap.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:44 am

Borhas wrote:Seems like a lot of problems stem from the absolute insistence of Hastings grads wanting to work in San Francisco (who doesn't?).

I thought so too, and I did my OCI bidding with the assumption that I'd fare better if I looked for central valley and socal jobs. Maybe I am just a bad interviewee, but I didn't fare any better with Sacramento and Fresno firms. The 2 Fresno firms I interviewed with, Baker Manock and McCormick Barstow, seemed to hire mostly from Boalt this year. It's amazing that Boalt people are taking 70k Fresno jobs, but that is the reality with which we are faced.

I think the best strategy is just to plan for small firm or PI work. A 60k job at a small firm may turn out to be a good job in the new economy.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 am

General Tso wrote:
Borhas wrote:Seems like a lot of problems stem from the absolute insistence of Hastings grads wanting to work in San Francisco (who doesn't?).

I thought so too, and I did my OCI bidding with the assumption that I'd fare better if I looked for central valley and socal jobs. Maybe I am just a bad interviewee, but I didn't fare any better with Sacramento and Fresno firms. The 2 Fresno firms I interviewed with, Baker Manock and McCormick Barstow, seemed to hire mostly from Boalt this year. It's amazing that Boalt people are taking 70k Fresno jobs, but that is the reality with which we are faced.

I think the best strategy is just to plan for small firm or PI work. A 60k job at a small firm may turn out to be a good job in the new economy.

What about LA?

I won't pretend I know much, but my guess is that's where the bulk of firm jobs exist in CA

still, I definitely agree on PI/Gov't

I'm aiming for public defense work myself, though a post grad judicial clerkship would be awesome

Return to “Choosing a Law School”