Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby simonruw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:17 pm

My stats seem very much on the 'border' between going somewhere on the lower lower end of 'fancy' and a school that is good in the market but not widely known.

So far I am applying:

University of Washington
Vanderbilt
UCLA (big reach, dream school, don't care if it's a waste of money :()
USC
Notre Dame
George Washington

I also "only" spent 2.5 full-time months studying for the LSAT. So perhaps I should work on getting a 167, I will make that decision after I apply to the aforementioned schools and see if/where I got in.

*I'm also doing a double degree honors and have great LOR, for whatever that shit's worth (nothing).

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Any idea where you want to practice?

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby simonruw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Any idea where you want to practice?


Seattle. That is why UW is my first choice, good in the market and CHEAP.


I'm also open to removing schools from my current list if they don't make sense. To be honest I am somewhat ignorant of much of the finesse in what law school is the 'right one.'

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 pm

IMHO, the "right one" is the best one that you get into that you can afford. "Best" and "afford" are up to you, of course, but if you want Seattle, UW is obviously a good plan. From LSN it looks like you have a good shot, but there aren't a lot of data points, so who know :-)

Be careful of regional schools that aren't in the region you want. For exampe, Vandy doesn't seem to have placed anyone from '10 in the Northwest:
Northeast 33%
West/Southwest 15%
Southeast 38%
International 2%
Midwest 12%


I suppose "West" might include Seattle,but still.

HTH.

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby simonruw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:IMHO, the "right one" is the best one that you get into that you can afford. "Best" and "afford" are up to you, of course, but if you want Seattle, UW is obviously a good plan. From LSN it looks like you have a good shot, but there aren't a lot of data points, so who know :-)

Be careful of regional schools that aren't in the region you want. For exampe, Vandy doesn't seem to have placed anyone from '10 in the Northwest:
Northeast 33%
West/Southwest 15%
Southeast 38%
International 2%
Midwest 12%


I suppose "West" might include Seattle,but still.

HTH.


Hypothetically I get into Vanderbilt. Since it is a nationally known name wouldn't I still be OK in Seattle? I thought it was only the non-recognized name that you want to be careful of.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby Grizz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:03 pm

simonruw wrote:Hypothetically I get into Vanderbilt. Since it is a nationally known name wouldn't I still be OK in Seattle? I thought it was only the non-recognized name that you want to be careful of.


You're almost assuredly not gonna get into Vanderbilt. I'm not sure I'd go to Vandy for the Northwest anyways.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 pm

University of Washington - chance
Vanderbilt - out (need 169)
UCLA - out (need 168)
USC - out (need 167)
Notre Dame - out (need 167)
George Washington - out (need 167)

retake or aim lower

glacierfrost
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby glacierfrost » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 pm

You should also send an app to UC Hastings and UC Davis. You would probaby get into either, maybe with some money if you write a good PS and have good softs.

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby simonruw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 pm

im_blue wrote:University of Washington - chance
Vanderbilt - out (need 169)
UCLA - out (need 168)
USC - out (need 167)
Notre Dame - out (need 167)
George Washington - out (need 167)

retake or aim lower


Ahhh, the painful voice of reason :)

Maybe come Friday I will receive a better score than anticipated. If not I'll apply to UW and plan to retake.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 am

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Where would you apply if you were me? (3.5-165)

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:07 am

I would definitely retake and shoot higher.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests