Seven Years at NYU... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jay jay

New

Seven Years at NYU...

Post by jay jay » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey, anyone on here doing this/done this, I'd like to know what you think.

My numbers are just OK for NYU, so I was thinking I would ED, only problem is, I've been here the past four years of undergrad and fear that I will go crazy if I'm in the crowded confines of NYU for another three years. Don't get me wrong, I am a native New Yorker and absolutely love this school, I just wanted the opinions of others, just to hear what people think? Should I try branching out, going to a more traditional school with a more traditional campus? Let me know what you think.

Oh, and I should add, I have every intention of remaining a New Yorker forever, so wherever I go to law school, I want to end up back here.

Thanks

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: Seven Years at NYU...

Post by ZXCVBNM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Your bank account will thank you for going to NYU. I'm not sure how this will affect your travel plans.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 pm

Numbers.

jay jay

New

Post by jay jay » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 pm

GPA: 3.53
LSAT: 172

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Numbers twin!

I say don't ED if you're not sure that it's your first choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:50 pm

I disagree. I say ED if NYU is your first choice by far. But keep in mind that life is more than a rankings game. Do you really want to spend all of your young adult life in NYC? Penn, UVA, Michigan, and to an extent Duke & Cornell offer great ways to get back to NYC providing you can do well in your class rankings.

But you know you want to live & work in NYC a few years from now so I don't really know what to tell you. You do give up some assurance by not going to NYU. But seriously, that's a lot of time spent in that school & city. Tough call. Especially because I think you're a WL -> Denied at NYU without ED. Which might not be a bad thing because one of the other schools will offer cash probably.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:56 pm

sometimes the only way you can see how good you actually have it is to go to a shitty place (location wise).... Go to Michshitgan and the enjoy the midwaste......

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm

thexfactor wrote:Go to Michshitgan and the enjoy the midwaste......
I see what you did there.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Don't let something like this (3 more years at NYU) affect your career trajectory that will happen over the next 4 decades.

Look at your goals and your debt-aversion and decide a school based on that. If you really want the best shot at NYC biglaw, it seems like NYU would be a good choice for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:12 pm

This will be a useless reply, but after doing my last 3 years here, I can't wait to get the hell away from NYU. Have you visited other schools and other campuses? I, for one, can't wait to actually attend a school with traditional campus. Look at it this way: if you have numbers to get into NYU law, you have numbers to get in a lot of other nearly as prestigious programs. I'm not sure exactly how the financial crash will affect the legal market in NYC, but I know that the finance jobs that we've lost over the last 3 years aren't coming back, so I can't imagine the legal market was impacted positively. Looking at cost of living and financial aid at other schools, you could easily graduate with half the debt if you looked at any other school in the country.

In either case, good luck, I can't wait to get the fck out.

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 pm

$5 says thexfactor didn't get into Michigan..

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:15 pm

KeepitKind wrote:$5 says thexfactor didn't get into Michigan..
lol it was mostly meant as a joke...... but yea i didnt get into michSHITgan.... :lol:

gregorio202

New

Post by gregorio202 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Do it! I went to NYU for undergrad and am now a 2L at the law school. I had the same hesitation as you originally since while I like NYU undergrad I thought I should try something new. But the law school is so different from the undergrad that it is a brand new place, while still having the advantage of that Greenwich Village location and access to everything you liked here as an undergrad. Trust me when I say that the law school has much more community, a very different atmosphere, and for the most part a very different type of student than undergrad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:18 pm

clone22 wrote:This will be a useless reply, but after doing my last 3 years here, I can't wait to get the hell away from NYU. Have you visited other schools and other campuses? I, for one, can't wait to actually attend a school with traditional campus. Look at it this way: if you have numbers to get into NYU law, you have numbers to get in a lot of other nearly as prestigious programs. I'm not sure exactly how the financial crash will affect the legal market in NYC, but I know that the finance jobs that we've lost over the last 3 years aren't coming back, so I can't imagine the legal market was impacted positively. Looking at cost of living and financial aid at other schools, you could easily graduate with half the debt if you looked at any other school in the country.

In either case, good luck, I can't wait to get the fck out.
There is a substantial difference in biglaw job prospects between NYU and the next best schools below it (the lower T14). OP is very unlikely to nab either UChi or CLS with those numbers (the next best schools above NYU). The difference at sticker between NYU and someplace like UMich or UVa is a bit, but saying half the debt is ridiculous since a scholarship from MVP to get that is unlikely.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:39 pm

If you're willing to go to NYU, then ED there. Otherwise, ED at Chicago.

jay jay

New

Post by jay jay » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:46 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Numbers twin!

I say don't ED if you're not sure that it's your first choice.
lol, i see you got into UVA numbers twin, congrats! gives me hope that i won't end up at a TTT like my irrational recurring nightmares keep telling me.

Thanks everyone for the responses, NYU is probs my top choice as of right now, but i change my mind everyday sooooo, we'll see how this goes. any other opinions welcome.

EDIT: Read it over and that was a LIE, I'd rather go to Columbia, it's been my dream school since I was 12. not kidding. I have pretty good softs, spent time abroad, interned, volunteered, etc. my best soft is probably that my parents were refugees when they got to the states, i was born here though, does that change things? As in, does that sound like a good enough soft that, together with solid LORs and a really good PS and DS, I could have a shot at Columbia ED??? Then again, I'd hate to risk it and end up dinged from both CLS and NYU.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:48 pm

I see the topic has shifted to whether you ought to ED to Columbia. I can't answer that, but I'm in the same boat regarding NYU undergrad -> LS. It's my top choice at the moment, but I'm not so sure I want to spend another three years in NYC. I have a lot of friends here, which is an obvious plus, but I'd also like to make new friends and create a new social circle. I'm worried that I won't make the most out of my law school experience if I stay here and just spend all my time doing the things I already do. Maybe my hopes of having a "fulfilling" LS experience are ridiculous to begin with and I'm actually just going to be neck deep in books anyway. I should add that I'll most likely be moving - if I do - with my girlfriend, who's applying to a different graduate program at a lot of the same schools I'm applying to. So I wouldn't be taking the plunge alone, exactly, but we're still strongly considering leaving the city for somewhere with a more traditional campus/school environment and cheaper rent.

/my $0.02.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I'd kill to be in your shoes. NYU undergrad, GPA twin, only I'm on the other side of the magical 3.5 divide. IF I do phenomenally well on the LSAT I'll probably be in the same position.

Try Penn. They funnel into NY.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:10 pm

7 yrs at NYU? Your back account must hate you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”