Illinois versus Minnesota

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Zeile

Illinois versus Minnesota

Postby Zeile » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm

1.) Which has the better job prospects?

2.) Which school is "better?

3.) Which school has more mobility (albeit both are largely regional, but still...)

4.) Where would you rather live for three years?

Discuss

Sandro

Re: Illinois versus Minnesota

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Sandro777 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132824

Horrible thread to link.

1. They are close enough that the difference is negligible.
2. See above.
3. See above. But I would say if you want a major market that Illinois might be your stronger choice for Chicago.
4. This is subjective. Where would you want to live for three years?

I would decide between these schools based on preference of region and potential scholarship money. I would also retake the LSAT if I was looking at choosing between these schools.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132824

Horrible thread to link.

1. They are close enough that the difference is negligible.
2. See above.
3. See above. But I would say if you want a major market that Illinois might be your stronger choice for Chicago.
4. This is subjective. Where would you want to live for three years?

I would decide between these schools based on preference of region and potential scholarship money. I would also retake the LSAT if I was looking at choosing between these schools.

Why is that?

To the OP, both schools are in tough markets for now. Chicago is saturated, the Twin Cities now have four law schools. William Mitchell (and to an increasing degree, St. Thomas) give U of M grads some headaches when it comes to the job search. Though Minnesota is undeniably the most highly regarded school in the state, many attorneys I've talked to here prefer grads from Mitchell because they are able to hit the ground running.

From what I understand, the Twin Cities doesn't have much of a biglaw market, there are only two or three legitimate biglaw firms here. However, there are numerous smaller and mid-sized firms.

My knowledge of Illinois is pretty much nonexistent. But I would say the question you should really consider, which has been pointed out before, is where you would rather live.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:09 pm

--LinkRemoved--

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:14 pm

minnbills wrote:Why is that?

I think everybody should put themselves in the best possible position for law school, whether that be going to the best possible school, graduating with the smallest amount of debt, or some combination of the two. Law schools, almost without exception, don't care about retakes and a 170 pretty much locks almost anybody into a seat at the T14. The legal market is tough and Illinois/Minnesota are fine schools but they are questionable decisions at sticker price.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Why is that?

I think everybody should put themselves in the best possible position for law school, whether that be going to the best possible school, graduating with the smallest amount of debt, or some combination of the two. Law schools, almost without exception, don't care about retakes and a 170 pretty much locks almost anybody into a seat at the T14. The legal market is tough and Illinois/Minnesota are fine schools but they are questionable decisions at sticker price.

kk.

I agree. The University of Minnesota Law School could be facing tough times ahead with projected budget cuts to higher education, depending on who wins the governor's election. I wouldn't be surprised to see them start to tone down scholly money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”