What is the unique selling proposition of Syracuse Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
taxguy

Bronze

What is the unique selling proposition of Syracuse Law?

Post by taxguy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 pm

I was looking at Syracuse Law but found out that the tuition was $45.000+ alone! I am just wondering, without the snarkiness that seems to permeate some posts here, what benefits of Syracuse Law that justify their hugely expensive price tag?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: What is the unique selling proposition of Syracuse Law?

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:45 pm

I tried to type a legitimate answer to this without snark and couldn't.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:47 pm

kalvano wrote:I tried to type a legitimate answer to this without snark and couldn't.
Same. The short answer: other than their ability to charge it, there is no justification for Syracuse's high price tag.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Why are we singling out Syracuse when this is the exact same thing is true at the vast majority of crappy law schools?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:51 pm

bk187 wrote:Why are we singling out Syracuse when this is the exact same thing is true at the vast majority of crappy law schools?

Their amazing placement in the USNWR "Lack Of Snark" specialty rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:52 pm

taxguy wrote:I was looking at Syracuse Law but found out that the tuition was $45.000+ alone! I am just wondering, without the snarkiness that seems to permeate some posts here, what benefits of Syracuse Law that justify their hugely expensive price tag?
Welcome to the scam!

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Helicopter dad is in for a brutal wake-up call, & will save his son from unlubricated anal rapage.

If you're already looking seriously at Syracuse, you might as well just send him to wherever he can go the cheapest since he's hooked up with a job anyway.

winnipeg7

New

Post by winnipeg7 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm

I don't know about the price tag or if it's justified. Still, I can point out a few things that SU Law might offer:
-affiliated with a very well-known, generally well-regarded university
-VP Joe Biden is an alum
-historic (and maybe current) ties to New York law firms, at least for strong students (a quick search reveals some grads at Skadden and some other top firms)
-success at SU law in a good economy probably positions you well for Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and Albany markets, which are mid-sized but not small

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 pm

OP: I think you're looking for this:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/party-la ... -rankings/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 pm

They actually have a solid policy or PT or something program, so maybe a dual degree?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:26 pm

bk187 wrote:Why are we singling out Syracuse when this is the exact same thing is true at the vast majority of crappy law schools?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:59 pm

taxguy wrote:I was looking at Syracuse Law but found out that the tuition was $45.000+ alone! I am just wondering, without the snarkiness that seems to permeate some posts here, what benefits of Syracuse Law that justify their hugely expensive price tag?
I doubt there's much competition for the Syracuse legal market. If you want to work in Syracuse, I'm sure the degree would do you just fine (all things considered ITE). That being said, I would never pay sticker for a school like Syracuse.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:06 pm

They've risen out of TTT but expected yearly price ~60000 is absurd. The saturated NY market and shitty location are also of concern. Unless one was to get a full ride it's not worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Don't you have to write a separate essay about why you should get a scholarship from SU?

Also, Biden was a mediocre student, and was accused of plagiarism while at the Cuse.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they did, I believe I've heard they are tough to get cash from as well

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:17 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
I doubt there's much competition for the Syracuse legal market. If you want to work in Syracuse, I'm sure the degree would do you just fine (all things considered ITE). That being said, I would never pay sticker for a school like Syracuse.
There are probably like a dozen jobs in Syracuse.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:25 pm

The bottom of the barrel at Cardozo probably have better prospects in syracuse than most Syracuse students

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm

flame?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:The bottom of the barrel at Cardozo probably have better prospects in syracuse than most Syracuse students
I wouldn't go that far. The limited number of jobs combined with the high likelihood of xenophobia in hiring probably makes it difficult for anyone who isn't at least median or better with a solid connection to the area to get a job. That's gonna be true if you go to Fordham, NYU, Columbia, Carbozo, or any other NY school in my opinion.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:34 pm

savagecheater wrote:flame?

No reason to call this a flame. The guy asked a legit question.

The only real answer to the question is: Syracuse can charge 45k for tuition because every year they get enough people who don't mind paying 45k in tuition.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:35 pm

are you like my grandma or something?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:23 am

rad law wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
There are probably like a dozen jobs in Syracuse.
And there were about 30 Cornell students chomping at the bit for them this year. Considering most firms cut their summer class from 8-10 to 2, and there are always a fair number of students who do well at NYU/Columbia/Cornell looking to come back to their home market, I would guess from what the firms have told me that this year 0-2 Syracuse grads got summer associate jobs in large Syracuse firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”