everywhere in America?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mz253

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:33 pm

well, regarding human rights... i think it's difficult for a Chinese to debate with an American because we are standing in different grounds, and seeing each other as stupid and ridiculous.

kwais wrote:
mz253 wrote:hmm,,, i've lived in both countries. it really depends on where you are and what you look for. one is not necessarily better than the other.

if you are anti-abortion, human rights activist, then stay away from china. if you just want to make money and become famous asap, then go to china. haha

kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.

good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis

what i love is that half the people on here who would move somewhere despite a dismal human rights record in order to "make money and become famous asap" will probably write a human rights oriented PS.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm

-

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 pm

1. your comments just proved what i said.. (i didn't mention my attitude towards human rights at all, so what assumption you made when you made the following statement?)

2. if you admit you are a loser because you don't get into yale law school, then i think i failed the LSAT. Please be in a more impressive school than UPenn to judge me.

Veyron wrote:^ You're a shitstain on humanity if you think that there is nothing objectively wrong with China's human rights record but I guess I wouldn't expect better from someone who failed the LSAT.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:49 pm

mz253 wrote:failed the LSAT? hmm...

if you admit you are a loser because you don't get into yale law school, then i think i failed the LSAT. You are in UPenn right? You'd better be in a more impressive school to judge me.

Veyron wrote:^ You're a shitstain on humanity if you think that there is nothing objectively wrong with China's human rights record but I guess I wouldn't expect better from someone who failed the LSAT.

Dude, I'm just glad you aren't smart enough to have any position of the influence over the world. Enjoy whatever TTT you end up at and a lifetime of debt. Fucking Communist apologist.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Veyron wrote:lifetime of debt

You talk a real big game for someone who hasn't even gotten any 1L grades yet, let alone a market-paying firm job.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:04 am

Veyron is one of the more annoying trolls on this forum. I'm fine with trolls if they at least contribute something semi worthwhile every so often. Still waiting on that from Veyron.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm

MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.

Proof people on here blather out foolishness. GDP per Capita in China is lower than Mexico...would you want to go to law school in Mexico? $45,000 a year is way way more than a vast cast majority of people in China make. Plus devaluing currency makes the economy grow by making exports cheaper. You sir or madam know less about the economy than half the people on here know about law schools. My confidence in this site is ruined.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:42 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

Proof people on here blather out foolishness. GDP per Capita in China is lower than Mexico...would you want to go to law school in Mexico? $45,000 a year is way way more than a vast cast majority of people in China make. Plus devaluing currency makes the economy grow by making exports cheaper. You sir or madam know less about the economy than half the people on here know about law schools. My confidence in this site is ruined.

GDP per capita is a stupid measure of wealth in this situation. You're...not smart.

Edit: that said, you got me on wording. Should've said "devalues the currency," or "imposes deflationary pressure."

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:47 am

Why anyone would want to live there, with their $7k GDP per capita, is beyond me.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:23 am

well, what you are missing is with a JD from an american school law school (Tier2 and above), you're looking for 80k USD to start. And think about living in China with a salary of 80K.

If you don't want to buy an apartment (which will cost you half million $ nowadays), you are in heaven.

AreJay711 wrote:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10 pm

mz253 wrote:well, what you are missing is with a JD from an american school law school (Tier2 and above), you're looking for 80k USD to start. And think about living in China with a salary of 80K.

Wait... What?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
mz253 wrote:well, what you are missing is with a JD from an american school law school (Tier2 and above), you're looking for 80k USD to start. And think about living in China with a salary of 80K.

Wait... What?

Housing is way redic in China. Anyways, Americans kill way more people each year than the Chinese dont let that ethnocentric ass bother you.

I mean opium wars, ww2, .................. read a history book or something before you start talking about morality.

Noval

Postby Noval » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 pm

mz253 wrote:well, what you are missing is with a JD from an american school law school (Tier2 and above), you're looking for 80k USD to start. And think about living in China with a salary of 80K. If you don't want to buy an apartment (which will cost you half million $ nowadays), you are in heaven.

AreJay711 wrote:

GOOD LUCK in finding a position in cities such as Hong Kong, Shanghai and other big asian centers coming from a T2 or above school.

An asian recruiter that came at our Law School in my third year told me that they were mainly looking for people with both EXCELLENT written/oral skills in Chinese and English.He also told me that they usually go recruit at TOP SCHOOLS only and that there are too many qualified candidates to go look at lower ranked schools.So before you think about Asian BigLaw, start by working your ass off to go to a top school or start networking NOW.Not trying to be a douchebag here, just welcoming you to the real world.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 pm

never said it's guaranteed. but do know several people end up doing well coming from lower T1 schools. not thinking about asian biglaw at all.

Noval wrote:
mz253 wrote:well, what you are missing is with a JD from an american school law school (Tier2 and above), you're looking for 80k USD to start. And think about living in China with a salary of 80K. If you don't want to buy an apartment (which will cost you half million $ nowadays), you are in heaven.

AreJay711 wrote:

GOOD LUCK in finding a position in cities such as Hong Kong, Shanghai and other big asian centers coming from a T2 or above school.

An asian recruiter that came at our Law School in my third year told me that they were mainly looking for people with both EXCELLENT written/oral skills in Chinese and English.He also told me that they usually go recruit at TOP SCHOOLS only and that there are too many qualified candidates to go look at lower ranked schools.So before you think about Asian BigLaw, start by working your ass off to go to a top school or start networking NOW.Not trying to be a douchebag here, just welcoming you to the real world.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:41 pm

MrKappus wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

GDP per capita is a stupid measure of wealth in this situation. You're...not smart.

Edit: that said, you got me on wording. Should've said "devalues the currency," or "imposes deflationary pressure."

What is a better measure of wealth then? Some sort of quality of life ranking? I guarantee China sucks in that regard with information restrictions and smog storms and all that ridiculousness.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

You can get your JD in Hong Kong in just two years at the University of Hong Kong at 1/10th the price of a U.S. law school. And you'd probably have a better chance at finding a job afterwards, too. Singapore has two universities with English postgrad law programs as well. I'd consider these programs myself over U.S. ones if residency wasn't such a huge issue.

It makes me laugh the way people in your country get starry eyed when they think about "going to school in the U.S."

What you don't realize is that while we have the best universities in the world, we also have some of the worst, and unless you go to an ivy league or ivy league equivalent (for anything except medicine), you're wasting your money by coming over here unless it somehow helps you back home more than a HK/Singapore/Canadian degree (I doubt it).

And forget about staying here afterwards. The U.S. has some of the most difficult immigration laws in the world. And we can't even employ all our own law graduates. And also forget about paying off the loans you'd need to take out to attend a U.S. law school on a Chinese, even a Shanghai or HK, legal salary.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:27 am

Why study just to study? You're in law school to practice law. The desire to go back to school shouldn't be the main motivator.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”