everywhere in America?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:15 pm

mz253 wrote:yea, i wish i had made an informed decision back then to study engineering or something else that is more practical.

american system is weird (and i regret that i didn't stay in china for my higher education.)

200k for college, another 200k for law/med/bus (whatever you need to advance).

ESL students struggle significantly more in law school.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:22 pm

MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Lonagan wrote:Veyron's profile, regarding the school s/he is attending:

Penn: Accepted
Penn notes: They are not worthy. $$


Your comments in this thread are as arrogant as those in your profile. Everybody knows the job market is tough. You're not helping anyone by coming in here and telling everyone how much better your school is.


1) Everyone on this here chatblog knows how cautious I am about the employment prospects of Penn grads.
2) You directly quote a part of my profile that would contradict your own statement. How could I be telling everyone "how much better my school is" if I say that it is not worthy to have me (incidentally, the information in my profile is meant to be humorous).
3) I will help him if I make him reconsider law school.
4) You should dumb.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:25 pm

b/c you can get a much better job if you have an overseas education background. also, with that background, you'd better have several years of working experiences to back it up. (with this economy, many chinese who finish college here go straight back to china, and end up with low paid job because they dont have real world experiences and the U.S. college education doesn't really have a very practical concern either).

also another thing, if you are interested in working in china, working in finance/business is getting tougher and tougher. 85% of the people going overseas for school study finance/business, and another 10% is in engineering/science, but so far very few in law (language issue one reason, the fact that china doesn't have a real legal system so most chinese are not interested in law to begin with is another reason).

well, that's just MY personal opinion.

MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:29 pm

i hope you don't feel offended.

honestly, i see different people get what they want through different ways. i just don't think that going to a mid ranged law school will get me no job in the long run. maybe i will have struggle initially for a few years, but down the road, i think i'll get what i want.

i grew up in a very weird environment where most people don't have great education, but end up making lots of money through all kinds of ways. i think if they can do it without an education, then i can do the same with an education (plus, i really LOVE LOVE LOVE school).



1) Everyone on this here chatblog knows how cautious I am about the employment prospects of Penn grads.
2) You directly quote a part of my profile that would contradict your own statement. How could I be telling everyone "how much better my school is" if I say that it is not worthy to have me (incidentally, the information in my profile is meant to be humorous).
3) I will help him if I make him reconsider law school.
4) You should dumb.[/quote]

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:35 pm

kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis


Fails threshold "Is the post too dumb to respond to?" test.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:39 pm

hmm,,, i've lived in both countries. it really depends on where you are and what you look for. one is not necessarily better than the other.

if you are anti-abortion, human rights activist, then stay away from china. if you just want to make money and become famous asap, then go to china. haha

kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:40 pm

MrKappus wrote:
kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis


Fails threshold "Is the post too dumb to respond to?" test.


passes threshold "oops, someone caught me being an uninformed idiot again" test

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 pm

mz253 wrote:hmm,,, i've lived in both countries. it really depends on where you are and what you look for. one is not necessarily better than the other.

if you are anti-abortion, human rights activist, then stay away from china. if you just want to make money and become famous asap, then go to china. haha

kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis


what i love is that half the people on here who would move somewhere despite a dismal human rights record in order to "make money and become famous asap" will probably write a human rights oriented PS.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 pm

btw, i love my government to the fullest extend.

no two party fighting, no lobby money spending, no financial regulations.... every policy is about help you make more money.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Haha I didn't mean to impugn your reasons for wanting to live in the U.S. I just meant if I spoke Mandarin, I might have bought a one-way ticket years ago. Re: your "Then where should I go?" question...can't help you. I'm sorry. I was just pointing out that the Midwest can be a kind of dreary place from November to April.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
kwais wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


good thing that the economic growth rate is what makes a country a good place to live. sweet analysis


Fails threshold "Is the post too dumb to respond to?" test.


passes threshold "oops, someone caught me being an uninformed idiot again" test


Still not meetin' that threshold. Try harder!

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:47 pm

mz253 wrote:i hope you don't feel offended.

honestly, i see different people get what they want through different ways. i just don't think that going to a mid ranged law school will get me no job in the long run. maybe i will have struggle initially for a few years, but down the road, i think i'll get what i want.

i grew up in a very weird environment where most people don't have great education, but end up making lots of money through all kinds of ways. i think if they can do it without an education, then i can do the same with an education (plus, i really LOVE LOVE LOVE school).



1) Everyone on this here chatblog knows how cautious I am about the employment prospects of Penn grads.
2) You directly quote a part of my profile that would contradict your own statement. How could I be telling everyone "how much better my school is" if I say that it is not worthy to have me (incidentally, the information in my profile is meant to be humorous).
3) I will help him if I make him reconsider law school.
4) You should dumb.
[/quote]

I believe you. My family is full of people with a less than elite educational background who did well in business. You can do incredibly well w/o an elite educational pedigree - just not in law. It sounds like you may be more cut out for business anyway.

edit:

Can you imagine Donald Trump telling someone on the apprentace that he didn't go to a good enough college to work for him. Didn't think so.

How about Supreme Court Justice?
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... he-us.html
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:47 pm

oh, i'm not sure if i want to live in the U.S. in the long term.

but i think before i turn 30, i should stay away from china. honestly, i find living expense is reasonable and my current wage supports a very comfortable life. i can buy almost everything i want and still save some money.

and the big plus of living here is that i am not a native here (does that sound conterintuitive?), so it makes me to have excuse to do whatever i want to do and no people will give a damn about it. because they know i'm a fob haha

MrKappus wrote:Haha I didn't mean to impugn your reasons for wanting to live in the U.S. I just meant if I spoke Mandarin, I might have bought a one-way ticket years ago. Re: your "Then where should I go?" question...can't help you. I'm sorry. I was just pointing out that the Midwest can be a kind of dreary place from November to April.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Veyron wrote:
Lonagan wrote:Veyron's profile, regarding the school s/he is attending:

Penn: Accepted
Penn notes: They are not worthy. $$


Your comments in this thread are as arrogant as those in your profile. Everybody knows the job market is tough. You're not helping anyone by coming in here and telling everyone how much better your school is.


1) Everyone on this here chatblog knows how cautious I am about the employment prospects of Penn grads.
2) You directly quote a part of my profile that would contradict your own statement. How could I be telling everyone "how much better my school is" if I say that it is not worthy to have me (incidentally, the information in my profile is meant to be humorous).
3) I will help him if I make him reconsider law school.
4) You should dumb.


This is a stupid little back and forth, however, it is entirely possible that you A) believe Penn is not good enough for you, and B) believe it is a lot better than other schools. Not only is it entirely possible, that's exactly what you are doing in this thread. And you are not doing it to "help" anyone, you are doing it to make you feel a little bit less bad about your own prospects. It is no different than any playground bully who makes fun of the other kids because of his own insecurities; see item 4 in your own post.

More to the point, you are simply incorrect in stating that people attending the schools OP listed will not be getting "any" job. Most of the 3Ls I know have something lined up, and most of them are pretty happy with it. I get the impression that if this was a year or two ago that would not be the case. However, this is not a year or two ago.

If you are trying to make the point that people attending the midwestern T-20-30 schools do not have good chances for BigLaw on the coasts, then that point is well taken. If you are trying to make the point that midwestern T-20-30s without a decent secondary market are somewhat risky, then that is also well taken. However, those are not the points you have attempted to make. You are attempting to paint these schools as offering no opportunities, and that just isn't true. People considering these schools should consider the types of employment available, the likelihood of obtaining such employment, and the debt load required to do so. Anyone who makes a positive contribution to that goal is helping people. People who simply come in these threads to regurgitate chicken-little screeching help nobody.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 pm

definitely, i'm more for business. but i just really LOVE LOVE LOVE school. but i think going to MBA will kill me. i would feel so bad that i burn 60k a year and go to bars every weekend.

i know i'm weird, but i really like studying studying studying for the sake of study.

Veyron wrote:
mz253 wrote:i hope you don't feel offended.

honestly, i see different people get what they want through different ways. i just don't think that going to a mid ranged law school will get me no job in the long run. maybe i will have struggle initially for a few years, but down the road, i think i'll get what i want.

i grew up in a very weird environment where most people don't have great education, but end up making lots of money through all kinds of ways. i think if they can do it without an education, then i can do the same with an education (plus, i really LOVE LOVE LOVE school).



1) Everyone on this here chatblog knows how cautious I am about the employment prospects of Penn grads.
2) You directly quote a part of my profile that would contradict your own statement. How could I be telling everyone "how much better my school is" if I say that it is not worthy to have me (incidentally, the information in my profile is meant to be humorous).
3) I will help him if I make him reconsider law school.
4) You should dumb.


I believe you. My family is full of people with a less than elite educational background who did well in business. You can do incredibly well w/o an elite educational pedigree - just not in law. It sounds like you may be more cut out for business anyway.[/quote]

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Lonagan wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Lonagan wrote:Veyron's profile, regarding the school s/he is attending:

Penn: Accepted
Penn notes: They are not worthy. $$


Your comments in this thread are as arrogant as those in your profile. Everybody knows the job market is tough. You're not helping anyone by coming in here and telling everyone how much better your school is.


1) Everyone on this here chatblog knows how cautious I am about the employment prospects of Penn grads.
2) You directly quote a part of my profile that would contradict your own statement. How could I be telling everyone "how much better my school is" if I say that it is not worthy to have me (incidentally, the information in my profile is meant to be humorous).
3) I will help him if I make him reconsider law school.
4) You should dumb.


This is a stupid little back and forth, however, it is entirely possible that you A) believe Penn is not good enough for you, and B) believe it is a lot better than other schools. Not only is it entirely possible, that's exactly what you are doing in this thread. And you are not doing it to "help" anyone, you are doing it to make you feel a little bit less bad about your own prospects. It is no different than any playground bully who makes fun of the other kids because of his own insecurities; see item 4 in your own post.

More to the point, you are simply incorrect in stating that people attending the schools OP listed will not be getting "any" job. Most of the 3Ls I know have something lined up, and most of them are pretty happy with it. I get the impression that if this was a year or two ago that would not be the case. However, this is not a year or two ago.

If you are trying to make the point that people attending the midwestern T-20-30 schools do not have good chances for BigLaw on the coasts, then that point is well taken. If you are trying to make the point that midwestern T-20-30s without a decent secondary market are somewhat risky, then that is also well taken. However, those are not the points you have attempted to make. You are attempting to paint these schools as offering no opportunities, and that just isn't true. People considering these schools should consider the types of employment available, the likelihood of obtaining such employment, and the debt load required to do so. Anyone who makes a positive contribution to that goal is helping people. People who simply come in these threads to regurgitate chicken-little screeching help nobody.


So... much... reading... comprehension... fail... can't... go... on...

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Noval » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


Because life there is shit if you're not a westerner.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Noval » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:29 pm

[/quote]
So... much... reading... comprehension... fail... can't... go... on...[/quote]

What are you doing in Penn if you can't read for shit ?

Wait...I guess i know who gave Penn's Dean a blowjob.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Noval wrote:Wait...I guess i know who gave Penn's Dean a blowjob.

TBF his mom is a champ.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Noval wrote:

So... much... reading... comprehension... fail... can't... go... on...[/quote]

What are you doing in Penn if you can't read for shit ?

Wait...I guess i know who gave Penn's Dean a blowjob.[/quote]

Easy FRIEND, you wouldn't want me and a couple of fellows to go out to a bar one night and decide that we ought to finish what we started back in 1775.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Noval » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Veyron wrote:
Noval wrote:

So... much... reading... comprehension... fail... can't... go... on...


What are you doing in Penn if you can't read for shit ?

Wait...I guess i know who gave Penn's Dean a blowjob.[/quote]

Easy FRIEND, you wouldn't want me and a couple of fellows to go out to a bar one night and decide that we ought to finish what we started back in 1775.[/quote]


Don't make me fight with broken vodka bottle alright ? :shock:

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Danteshek » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Executive summary:

OP went to Middlebury College (I hope)
OP's English is pretty bad, despite spending four years in US
OP is RICH (no way Camp Midd is giving big scholarships to poor Chinese students)
OP really really wants to live in USA because he doesn't want to live in 3rd world country
OP decides he loves school so much he wants to waste 3 years and 200k in an American law school

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm

well, i would disagree. i would say you will be UPGRADED if you go to Asia. (any country, China, Japan, Korea, etc.)

Lots of people in Asia adore westerners, especially people living in big cities. You end up with hot girls (if you like asian) and well paid jobs (even if you only have a high school diploma and teach English).

I have seen enough white trash worshipped in Roppongi Tokyo or Xintiandi Shanghai.

Noval wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.


Because life there is shit if you're not a westerner.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm

You got 4 out of 5 wrong... and i really want to tell you... MIDDLEBURY gave FREE RIDE to MOST int'l students... i guess better than Wesleyan??

Danteshek wrote:Executive summary:

OP went to Middlebury College (I hope)
OP's English is pretty bad, despite spending four years in US
OP is RICH (no way Camp Midd is giving big scholarships to poor Chinese students)
OP really really wants to live in USA because he doesn't want to live in 3rd world country
OP decides he loves school so much he wants to waste 3 years and 200k in an American law school




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Screech Owl and 1 guest