everywhere in America?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mz253

everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:31 pm

s
Last edited by mz253 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Blindmelon

Re: mid America schools?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:44 pm

I hope you wanna work in the midwest if these are your options..
Placement wise, very roughly:

Notre Dame/WUSTL/UIUC
U Minnesota/U Wisconsin/U Iowa

IUB

UCO

dood

Postby dood » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Why exactly do you want to go to law school in this country? Does your country not have law schools?

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Last edited by mz253 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for your input. I wonder the ranking is based on their respective regional market/state, or an overall placement in mid west?

Blindmelon wrote:I hope you wanna work in the midwest if these are your options..
Placement wise, very roughly:

Notre Dame/WUSTL/UIUC
U Minnesota/U Wisconsin/U Iowa

IUB

UCO

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 pm

dood wrote:
mz253 wrote:Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

where did u do UG? middle america is not fun for non-whites.

I cannot speak for the others, but as a Minnesota student I think we're plenty welcoming of diversity here. We have foreign students from Korea, China, Mexico, and Nigeria in my section, and I may be forgetting a couple. As far as I can tell (I am white, so I suppose it is possible there is an undercurrent I am not exposed to) they are all fully welcomed in the class. Minneapolis is pretty well known as a city with a large immigrant / refugee population.

Besides, even if there were a bunch of racists here it would be hard to tell because everyone in Minnesota is so darn nice.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:37 pm

thanks for your input. I am not worried about the racist issue at all. I think in most U.S. schools, faculty and students are very liberal and they really like to have a diverse student body.

My concern is weather. I went to VT for college, a tiny tiny tiny town, and I got depressed. It snowed 6 months a year, and because the town is so isolated, I could not go anywhere else (I grew up in a big city in China). I heard MN is super cold, is it as cold as VT? I remember a college friend who is from MN said MN is completely different from VT. There are also fun things to do. She said MN people is much nicer than VT people (well, I would consider VT people extremely nice). Is it true?

Lonagan wrote:
dood wrote:
mz253 wrote:Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

where did u do UG? middle america is not fun for non-whites.

I cannot speak for the others, but as a Minnesota student I think we're plenty welcoming of diversity here. We have foreign students from Korea, China, Mexico, and Nigeria in my section, and I may be forgetting a couple. As far as I can tell (I am white, so I suppose it is possible there is an undercurrent I am not exposed to) they are all fully welcomed in the class. Minneapolis is pretty well known as a city with a large immigrant / refugee population.

Besides, even if there were a bunch of racists here it would be hard to tell because everyone in Minnesota is so darn nice.

Veyron

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:42 pm

You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm

have retaken it. tried my best.

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm

mz253 wrote:have retaken it. tried my best.

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT

Maybe law school isn't for you then. The point of grad school is to obtain employment.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Retake LSAT

I agree w/ the triple negative.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:51 pm

i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

Veyron wrote:

Retake LSAT

Maybe law school isn't for you then. The point of grad school is to obtain employment.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm

MrKappus wrote:

Retake LSAT

I agree w/ the triple negative.

Well, I had to do something about that nasty reputation you were giving me as a grammarian.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm

mz253 wrote:i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

Veyron wrote:

Retake LSAT

You've got it all wrong, I got to a fancy school and hope against hope to get a so so job. You stand a good chance of not getting any job at all.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:02 pm

sorry for the misunderstanding.

i think the big economy is important, but individual efforst/luck also count. i didn't go to an ivy college, went to a liberal arts school that is in the middle of no where. but i have friends there (international) who got jobs in top investment banks and consulting firms despite this economy.

And myself, I did not get a fancy job, but I still landed a job that pays pretty well in CT. and I only spent 2 weeks looking for jobs and got 2 offers.

Yes, lots of people in America are unemployed. But lots of people are getting jobs too. [quote="Veyron"][quote="mz253"]i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't know very much about Vermont, but Minnesota is probably colder. The Twin Cities are the coldest major metropolitan area in the U.S. However, UMN is in Minneapolis, not International Falls, so it's not as bad as people may think when they hear Minnesota. MN winter was a selling point for me; I love being outside in the cold.

As for the rest, there is a ton of stuff to do in the twin cities. It's a great sports town, be it professional baseball (F the Yankees), football (maybe we'd win more if our qb didn't sext people so much?), basketball, and hockey, or college sports, it's all here. The Twin Cities have great theater, lots of restaurants, tons of parks, etc. Lot's of churches. Very bikeable. I really can't say enough about the place. It has everything one could want in a city without being huge and intimidating. Besides, we invented Cheerios. WTF did Boston ever invent? Democracy?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 pm

OP: if you thought VT was cold and have S.A.D. issues, you might want to reconsider Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Indiana. It's called the "lake effect," and it's not pretty. You might also reconsider Colorado. It's called living in the effin' Rockies, and it's very pretty. And very cold.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:05 pm

mz253 wrote:sorry for the misunderstanding.

i think the big economy is important, but individual efforst/luck also count. i didn't go to an ivy college, went to a liberal arts school that is in the middle of no where. but i have friends there (international) who got jobs in top investment banks and consulting firms despite this economy.

And myself, I did not get a fancy job, but I still landed a job that pays pretty well in CT. and I only spent 2 weeks looking for jobs and got 2 offers.

Yes, lots of people in America are unemployed. But lots of people are getting jobs too.
Veyron wrote:
mz253 wrote:i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

Ah, HOAP springs eternal as another young padawan blows another breath into the higher education bubble.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:11 pm

where should i go then?

MrKappus wrote:OP: if you thought VT was cold and have S.A.D. issues, you might want to reconsider Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Indiana. It's called the "lake effect," and it's not pretty. You might also reconsider Colorado. It's called living in the effin' Rockies, and it's very pretty. And very cold.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Veyron's profile, regarding the school s/he is attending:

Penn: Accepted
Penn notes: They are not worthy. $$

Your comments in this thread are as arrogant as those in your profile. Everybody knows the job market is tough. You're not helping anyone by coming in here and telling everyone how much better your school is.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Last edited by mz253 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”