everywhere in America?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:31 pm

s
Last edited by mz253 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: mid America schools?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:44 pm

I hope you wanna work in the midwest if these are your options..
Placement wise, very roughly:

Notre Dame/WUSTL/UIUC
U Minnesota/U Wisconsin/U Iowa

IUB

UCO

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: mid America schools?

Postby dood » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:55 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: mid America schools?

Postby Danteshek » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Why exactly do you want to go to law school in this country? Does your country not have law schools?

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: mid America schools?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: mid America schools?

Postby dood » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: mid America schools?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:17 pm

...
Last edited by mz253 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: mid America schools?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for your input. I wonder the ranking is based on their respective regional market/state, or an overall placement in mid west?

Blindmelon wrote:I hope you wanna work in the midwest if these are your options..
Placement wise, very roughly:

Notre Dame/WUSTL/UIUC
U Minnesota/U Wisconsin/U Iowa

IUB

UCO

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: mid America schools?

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 pm

dood wrote:
mz253 wrote:Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

where did u do UG? middle america is not fun for non-whites.


I cannot speak for the others, but as a Minnesota student I think we're plenty welcoming of diversity here. We have foreign students from Korea, China, Mexico, and Nigeria in my section, and I may be forgetting a couple. As far as I can tell (I am white, so I suppose it is possible there is an undercurrent I am not exposed to) they are all fully welcomed in the class. Minneapolis is pretty well known as a city with a large immigrant / refugee population.

Besides, even if there were a bunch of racists here it would be hard to tell because everyone in Minnesota is so darn nice.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: mid America schools?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:37 pm

thanks for your input. I am not worried about the racist issue at all. I think in most U.S. schools, faculty and students are very liberal and they really like to have a diverse student body.

My concern is weather. I went to VT for college, a tiny tiny tiny town, and I got depressed. It snowed 6 months a year, and because the town is so isolated, I could not go anywhere else (I grew up in a big city in China). I heard MN is super cold, is it as cold as VT? I remember a college friend who is from MN said MN is completely different from VT. There are also fun things to do. She said MN people is much nicer than VT people (well, I would consider VT people extremely nice). Is it true?

Lonagan wrote:
dood wrote:
mz253 wrote:Chinese citizen, did undergrad in the U.S. In China, you go to law school RIGHT AFTER high school. you don't pay 200k for college and another 200k for law school.

where did u do UG? middle america is not fun for non-whites.


I cannot speak for the others, but as a Minnesota student I think we're plenty welcoming of diversity here. We have foreign students from Korea, China, Mexico, and Nigeria in my section, and I may be forgetting a couple. As far as I can tell (I am white, so I suppose it is possible there is an undercurrent I am not exposed to) they are all fully welcomed in the class. Minneapolis is pretty well known as a city with a large immigrant / refugee population.

Besides, even if there were a bunch of racists here it would be hard to tell because everyone in Minnesota is so darn nice.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:42 pm

You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm

have retaken it. tried my best.

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm

mz253 wrote:have retaken it. tried my best.

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT


Maybe law school isn't for you then. The point of grad school is to obtain employment.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT


I agree w/ the triple negative.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:51 pm

i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

Veyron wrote:
mz253 wrote:have retaken it. tried my best.

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT


Maybe law school isn't for you then. The point of grad school is to obtain employment.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT


I agree w/ the triple negative.


Well, I had to do something about that nasty reputation you were giving me as a grammarian.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm

mz253 wrote:i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

Veyron wrote:
mz253 wrote:have retaken it. tried my best.

Veyron wrote:You can go to law school but if you go to most of the schools you are considering you ain't not getting no job in this here economy.

Retake LSAT


Maybe law school isn't for you then. The point of grad school is to obtain employment.



You've got it all wrong, I got to a fancy school and hope against hope to get a so so job. You stand a good chance of not getting any job at all.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:02 pm

sorry for the misunderstanding.

i think the big economy is important, but individual efforst/luck also count. i didn't go to an ivy college, went to a liberal arts school that is in the middle of no where. but i have friends there (international) who got jobs in top investment banks and consulting firms despite this economy.

And myself, I did not get a fancy job, but I still landed a job that pays pretty well in CT. and I only spent 2 weeks looking for jobs and got 2 offers.

Yes, lots of people in America are unemployed. But lots of people are getting jobs too. [quote="Veyron"][quote="mz253"]i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't know very much about Vermont, but Minnesota is probably colder. The Twin Cities are the coldest major metropolitan area in the U.S. However, UMN is in Minneapolis, not International Falls, so it's not as bad as people may think when they hear Minnesota. MN winter was a selling point for me; I love being outside in the cold.

As for the rest, there is a ton of stuff to do in the twin cities. It's a great sports town, be it professional baseball (F the Yankees), football (maybe we'd win more if our qb didn't sext people so much?), basketball, and hockey, or college sports, it's all here. The Twin Cities have great theater, lots of restaurants, tons of parks, etc. Lot's of churches. Very bikeable. I really can't say enough about the place. It has everything one could want in a city without being huge and intimidating. Besides, we invented Cheerios. WTF did Boston ever invent? Democracy?

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 pm

OP: if you thought VT was cold and have S.A.D. issues, you might want to reconsider Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Indiana. It's called the "lake effect," and it's not pretty. You might also reconsider Colorado. It's called living in the effin' Rockies, and it's very pretty. And very cold.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:05 pm

mz253 wrote:sorry for the misunderstanding.

i think the big economy is important, but individual efforst/luck also count. i didn't go to an ivy college, went to a liberal arts school that is in the middle of no where. but i have friends there (international) who got jobs in top investment banks and consulting firms despite this economy.

And myself, I did not get a fancy job, but I still landed a job that pays pretty well in CT. and I only spent 2 weeks looking for jobs and got 2 offers.

Yes, lots of people in America are unemployed. But lots of people are getting jobs too.
Veyron wrote:
mz253 wrote:i really don't want to argue here whether law school is the right choice for me. I guess you only want to go to a fancy school and will only work for a good job, but it doesn't mean that I won't be happy going to a mid ranged school and getting a so so job.


Ah, HOAP springs eternal as another young padawan blows another breath into the higher education bubble.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:11 pm

where should i go then?

MrKappus wrote:OP: if you thought VT was cold and have S.A.D. issues, you might want to reconsider Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Indiana. It's called the "lake effect," and it's not pretty. You might also reconsider Colorado. It's called living in the effin' Rockies, and it's very pretty. And very cold.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby Lonagan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Veyron's profile, regarding the school s/he is attending:

Penn: Accepted
Penn notes: They are not worthy. $$


Your comments in this thread are as arrogant as those in your profile. Everybody knows the job market is tough. You're not helping anyone by coming in here and telling everyone how much better your school is.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby mz253 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:13 pm

...
Last edited by mz253 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: everywhere in America?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Why anyone would want to leave China's economy, which grows at 10% annually even when the govt deflates the currency and tries to stall growth, is beyond me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Dante181 and 2 guests