Schools & NYC Placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BruceWayne

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:So you are bragging about the fact that you can achieve less than your peers and still get a job because solely based on race? You stay classy now. And it's funny you blame other people for being racist when you are the one who wants to isolate yourself by pointing out your race consistently.

Congrats on taking my statement out of context. Clearly telling someone that they will get poor grades because they said that there isn't a meaningful difference in placment between two different schools is very classy (as raiyner did). Interesting how you jump on my respone as being really unclassy, and just brush over what he posted. Not surprised though, TLS has a big anti URM sentiment.

Um, you explicitly stated that you aren't worried about it because you will get biglaw in DC because of other minorities you know who finished at median and got biglaw in DC when we know most people at your school cannot. See:

BruceWayne wrote:Nah, I'll probably end up in DC considering I know multiple URMs barely above median here (some below) with DC jobs lined up. HTMFH :wink: Gotta love the know it all pricks that frequent TLS!

You are honestly the worst person on TLS at forging arguments. This has nothing to do with your race, it has to do with looking extremely stupid in the things you post.

At this point you are clearly just trying to be a Jackass. You clearly totally overlooked the statement I responded to and are just focusing on mine in isolation. Raiyner clearly explicitly stated that because I don't agree that going to NYU over a school ranked 7-14 makes a difference outside of NYC I will not get a job/get poor grades.

If you are going to answer without even paying attention to the whole argument/conversation you should just shut the hell up. You are clearly biased and just wanted to make a pointless comment.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=134034
rayiner wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You missed a lot of my point in regards to the whole top 6 thing NYU etc.

Because your arguments are garbage.

You mention all sorts of things: attorney opinions, small variation in clerkship placement, placement in markets with no jobs, etc, that just don't matter.

At the end of the day, law school is professional school. People go to law school to get a job. What matters, then, is how many people get the kind of high-paying jobs that they presumably came to law school to get. All the concrete data I have shows NYU absolutely killing it in that regard.

What the Fuck are you talking about "all the concrete data" The NLJ numbers clearly show NYU behind Michigan, Penn, and UVA. Have you been posting on this website so long/so often that you forgot what qualifies as concrete in the real world?

On top of that UVA, Michigan, and several other schools have not released any employment data more recent than the nlj numbers, so where are you getting this from? Are you pulling it straight from your ass or are you mixing stuff from your ass with US News, because that's what it sounds like. The truth is that no one really knows what you are claiming to know with any sort of certainty.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:So you are bragging about the fact that you can achieve less than your peers and still get a job because solely based on race? You stay classy now. And it's funny you blame other people for being racist when you are the one who wants to isolate yourself by pointing out your race consistently.

Congrats on taking my statement out of context. Clearly telling someone that they will get poor grades because they said that there isn't a meaningful difference in placment between two different schools is very classy (as raiyner did). Interesting how you jump on my respone as being really unclassy, and just brush over what he posted. Not surprised though, TLS has a big anti URM sentiment.

Um, you explicitly stated that you aren't worried about it because you will get biglaw in DC because of other minorities you know who finished at median and got biglaw in DC when we know most people at your school cannot. See:

BruceWayne wrote:Nah, I'll probably end up in DC considering I know multiple URMs barely above median here (some below) with DC jobs lined up. HTMFH :wink: Gotta love the know it all pricks that frequent TLS!

You are honestly the worst person on TLS at forging arguments. This has nothing to do with your race, it has to do with looking extremely stupid in the things you post.

At this point you are clearly just trying to be a Jackass. You clearly totally overlooked the statement I responded to and are just focusing on mine in isolation. Raiyner clearly explicitly stated that because I don't agree that going to NYU over a school ranked 7-14 makes a difference outside of NYC I will not get a job/get poor grades.

If you are going to answer without even paying attention to the whole argument/conversation you should just shut the hell up. You are clearly biased and just wanted to make a pointless comment.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=134034
rayiner wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You missed a lot of my point in regards to the whole top 6 thing NYU etc.

Because your arguments are garbage.

You mention all sorts of things: attorney opinions, small variation in clerkship placement, placement in markets with no jobs, etc, that just don't matter.

At the end of the day, law school is professional school. People go to law school to get a job. What matters, then, is how many people get the kind of high-paying jobs that they presumably came to law school to get. All the concrete data I have shows NYU absolutely killing it in that regard.

What the Fuck are you talking about "all the concrete data" The NLJ numbers clearly show NYU behind Michigan, Penn, and UVA. Have you been posting on this website so long/so often that you forgot what qualifies as concrete in the real world?

On top of that UVA, Michigan, and several other schools have not released any employment data more recent than the nlj numbers, so where are you getting this from? Are you pulling it straight from your ass or are you mixing stuff from your ass with US News, because that's what it sounds like. The truth is that no one really knows what you are claiming to know with any sort of certainty.

If ever 100% of everyone in the world told me I was wrong and being unreasonable, I'd seriously reevaluate my position. I guess that's the difference between you and I.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Renzo wrote:If ever 100% of everyone in the world told me I was wrong and being unreasonable, I'd seriously reevaluate my position. I guess that's the difference between you and I.

You're 100 percent right. However, 1. TLS seems to conflate themselves with the population in general. A lot of people in the real world don't hold this view that raiyner is arguing--particularly a lot of practicing attorneys.

Second, I'm not arguing that I'm right and their wrong. That's the crazy part about this that got missed. I'm just annoyed that some people think that when they disagree with someone that that gives them grounds to start making racist and asshole type comments (although frankly, that' a very common thing on here. I've seen h2oman and IAFG do it to any poster who posts something they don't agree with). Truth be told, how the hell could either side argue that they are "definitely right" on this subject? No one has the info to truly know. Acting like you absolutely know that you have the right answer to this, especially if you are still in law school, is just arrogant and comes across as very narcissistic.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:If ever 100% of everyone in the world told me I was wrong and being unreasonable, I'd seriously reevaluate my position. I guess that's the difference between you and I.

You're 100 percent right. However, 1. TLS seems to conflate themselves with the population in general. A lot of people in the real world don't hold this view that raiyner is arguing--particularly a lot of practicing attorneys.

Second, I'm not arguing that I'm right and their wrong. That's the crazy part about this that got missed. I'm just annoyed that some people think that when they disagree with someone that that gives them grounds to start making racist and asshole type comments. Truth be told, how the hell could either side argue that they are "definitely right" on this subject? No one has the info to truly know. Acting like you absolutely know that you have the right answer to this, especially if you are still in law school, is just arrogant and comes across as very narcissistic.

less narcissistic than pretending to be your much hotter roommate on the internet.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:28 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

You can't be that stupid right? Whatever you were responding to doesn't change the post you made. And actually, in this case, responding to a post about employment data actually reinforces my point. You specifically stated that you didn't have to worry about it because you saw minority candidates get the jobs you want because you saw other minorities with these jobs. It is clear that a non-minority candidate won't get this job in the same situation. I pointed out how you were bragging about getting a job that you underperformed for specifically because of race and how this reinforced your proposed isolation from others due to your race. Seriously, if this is how you formulate your exam arguments, you won't have to worry about getting any job.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:10 pm

I'd be shocked if any T1 school "couldn't" place you in NYC if you had the grades and did some legwork.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:32 pm

What is the argument about? Outside NYC, NYU carries no clout = common knowledge. Big deal = NO!

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:What is the argument about? Outside NYC, NYU carries no clout = common knowledge. Big deal = NO!

"No clout" is a huge overstatement.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:You can't be that stupid right? Whatever you were responding to doesn't change the post you made. And actually, in this case, responding to a post about employment data actually reinforces my point. You specifically stated that you didn't have to worry about it because you saw minority candidates get the jobs you want because you saw other minorities with these jobs. It is clear that a non-minority candidate won't get this job in the same situation. I pointed out how you were bragging about getting a job that you underperformed for specifically because of race and how this reinforced your proposed isolation from others due to your race. Seriously, if this is how you formulate your exam arguments, you won't have to worry about getting any job.

Just STFU. Seriously, let it go. Obviously you just want to have a URM argument as you're clearly missing the entire point of what I was saying. In all seriousness, IAFG is purposely saying stupid things because she's trying to be funny/insulting. You on the other hand actually are this stupid.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:You can't be that stupid right? Whatever you were responding to doesn't change the post you made. And actually, in this case, responding to a post about employment data actually reinforces my point. You specifically stated that you didn't have to worry about it because you saw minority candidates get the jobs you want because you saw other minorities with these jobs. It is clear that a non-minority candidate won't get this job in the same situation. I pointed out how you were bragging about getting a job that you underperformed for specifically because of race and how this reinforced your proposed isolation from others due to your race. Seriously, if this is how you formulate your exam arguments, you won't have to worry about getting any job.

Just STFU. Seriously, let it go. Obviously you just want to have a URM argument as you're clearly missing the entire point of what I was saying. In all seriousness, IAFG is purposely saying stupid things because she's trying to be funny/insulting. You on the other hand actually are this stupid.

I want to have a URM argument? By pointing out the EXACT thing you said and showing how it actually hurt the case you were making in other arguments?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I want to have a URM argument? By pointing out the EXACT thing you said and showing how it actually hurt the case you were making in other arguments?

--ImageRemoved--

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 pm

^^^ lol, it's pretty funny you call me stupid, never even take a stab at trying to make yourself look credible, and then post those ad hominems. You are a fucking moron.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:48 am

SBL wrote:I'd be shocked if any T1 school "couldn't" place you in NYC if you had the grades and did some legwork.

I understand this thread is 3 years old, but I am still curious to find the correct answer. There seems to be 2 competing theories:

1: Being in NY (or close to it) is better for NYC placement i.e. Cornell is better than NU, Mich, Duke, UVA. Penn is better than Chicago

2: The schools that place the most in NYC have the most competition among students for those jobs i.e. median at Duke is easier to place in NYC than median at Cornell

Which one is correct? I have a 168 and 3.9+ so it could very possibly come to down any combination of Cornell vs NU vs Duke vs Penn vs (hopefully) NYU vs (hopefully) Chicago

right now my guess is

1. NYU
2. Penn
3. Chicago
4. Duke
5. Cornell
6. NU

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 am

jvincent11 wrote:
SBL wrote:I'd be shocked if any T1 school "couldn't" place you in NYC if you had the grades and did some legwork.

I understand this thread is 3 years old, but I am still curious to find the correct answer. There seems to be 2 competing theories:

1: Being in NY (or close to it) is better for NYC placement i.e. Cornell is better than NU, Mich, Duke, UVA. Penn is better than Chicago

2: The schools that place the most in NYC have the most competition among students for those jobs i.e. median at Duke is easier to place in NYC than median at Cornell

Which one is correct? I have a 168 and 3.9+ so it could very possibly come to down any combination of Cornell vs NU vs Duke vs Penn vs (hopefully) NYU vs (hopefully) Chicago

right now my guess is

1. NYU
2. Penn
3. Chicago
4. Duke
5. Cornell
6. NU

Don't forget about class size as a factor, but it's hard to say what the dominant factor is. I wouldn't worry too much though. I have yet to see a 0L asking these kinds of questions strike out.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

Woah this is a crazy necro

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 20, 2013 9:45 am

jvincent11 wrote:

right now my guess is

1. NYU
2. Penn
3. Chicago
4. Duke
5. Cornell
6. NU

Retake

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 am

BigZuck wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:

right now my guess is

1. NYU
2. Penn
3. Chicago
4. Duke
5. Cornell
6. NU

Retake

You retake

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 am

I did, twice.

Retake, hit 175, enjoy Harvard. EZ game. Don't waste your time thinking about these TTTs

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:48 am

BigZuck wrote:I did, twice.

Retake, hit 175, enjoy Harvard. EZ game. Don't waste your time thinking about these TTTs

At first I thought this was serious, but then I realized this was an excellent use of sarcasm. It's funny how so many people say yeah just retake and get 175 and you will be fine!

I actually am retaking in June for the third time - would be foolish not to. If no improvement, $ at Duke it is for me.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 20, 2013 10:52 am

jvincent11 wrote:

At first I thought this was serious, but then I realized this was an excellent use of sarcasm. It's funny how so many people say yeah just retake and get 175 and you will be fine!

I actually am retaking in June for the third time - would be foolish not to. If no improvement, $ at Duke it is for me.

I was dead serious about retaking though, no lulz to be had there.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 am

BigZuck wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:

We are in complete agreement

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 20, 2013 11:14 am

jvincent11 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:

We are in complete agreement

#brofist

Btw Duke for NYC big law sounds pretty great to me so not a bad fallback at all

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 am

rayiner wrote:Woah this is a crazy necro

+1

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon May 20, 2013 1:53 pm

You are getting pretty close to joining the elusive 3,000 "Retake/Don't Go" post club. Will you make it before starting school this fall?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 20, 2013 2:03 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:

You are getting pretty close to joining the elusive 3,000 "Retake/Don't Go" post club. Will you make it before starting school this fall?

If I stay in my current job I might make it to 3250. Probably will quit late June though so won't have much time for TLSing. Going to be too busy day drinking and playing video games for that nonsense.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”