Schools & NYC Placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby lawschoollll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:40 pm

quakeroats wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Yes. For example, roughly twice as many Duke students end up in NYC V10s relative to Michigan when controlling for class size. While these two work very well for comparison (both send a plurality of their students to NYC, both are outside of major markets, both are ranked similarly, etc.), you can do this across the top schools and get roughly the same picture. I'd make the case that V10 NYC placement is a good all-purpose metric for judging one school to the next unless you have a very specialized interest. Article III Clerkships follow the same basic trend:

YHS...Duke/Chicago/Penn...UVA/Columbia...Northwestern/Michigan/NYU/Cornell


What an idiot 1L/0L.

V10 placement is not an accurate all-purpose metric for judging NYC placement.

Also, no, you are not getting v10.

http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

You're a legitimately horrible poster. And it's WLRK. hth


I'll stand by my postings. I've cited lots of data on this. If you're apt to believe otherwise, go with God. You'll need him.

Was supposed to be directed at "Veyron." Fixed above.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't know where you got the idea that Duke historically places better in Article III clerkships.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513

Check out this thread.


http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... news-.html

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:43 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Was supposed to be directed at "Veyron." Fixed above.


I love you too.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook.


What is a WLRC?


Pretty sure you shouldn't be dispensing advice if you don't know what WLRC is.


I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"

Double facepalm!

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Unemployed on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby lawschoollll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:52 pm

It's ok, Penn is one of the top non-T6 schools in the country!!

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.



Normally you're spot on with these, but I don't think they're whining about "who is" daddy can beat up "who is."

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Veyron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:59 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook. For the very competitive firms, perhaps the top 10% of the class is looked at similarly at both schools, but I would much rather be median at Penn aiming for NYC than at D.

http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

You're a legitimately horrible poster. And it's WLRK. hth


I said "I think" about CSM because I wasn't sure.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:02 pm

irishman86 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:HYSCCN...Duke/Penn...UVA...Cornell/GULC/Northwestern...Michigan/Berkeley


Aren't you a 0L?

This isn't accurate at all.

I go to Mich and we had the plurality of our firms at OCI from NYC. Accessibility to firms during OCI is a huge deal because mass mailing doesn't work for most.

I'd say it's HYSCN....C...Penn...Mich/UVA...Cornell/Duke...Northwestern/GULC....Berkeley. (Not sure about Chicago actually, seems like they did a lot worse this year in NY.)


Michigan sends a lot of students to NYC; it just doesn't do it very well. Michigan is a really good example of how far off the mark USNWR can be. Take the following data points:

Last year's OCI: Michigan's shocking under performance relative to Duke/Penn/etc.
AIII Clerkships
NYC Vault 10 placement
D.C. placement: Michigan's at the bottom of the T14 here

I can't think of many reasons to choose Michigan over any other T14 (perhaps a strong desire to practice in Detriot). Michigan's been on its way out for 30 years. It just has a lot of historical prestige that's keeping it afloat, but that won't last forever.
Last edited by quakeroats on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby lawschoollll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Veyron wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook. For the very competitive firms, perhaps the top 10% of the class is looked at similarly at both schools, but I would much rather be median at Penn aiming for NYC than at D.

http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

You're a legitimately horrible poster. And it's WLRK. hth


I said "I think" about CSM because I wasn't sure.

No worries. At least your football team took out Minnesota on the road today. Life's not so bad.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:14 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook. For the very competitive firms, perhaps the top 10% of the class is looked at similarly at both schools, but I would much rather be median at Penn aiming for NYC than at D.

http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

You're a legitimately horrible poster. And it's WLRK. hth


I said "I think" about CSM because I wasn't sure.

No worries. At least your football team took out Minnesota on the road today. Life's not so bad.


GRRRR

I hope they take out Yale today.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Veyron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.


TITCR - although TBF NYU does outplace Penn in NYC.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Unemployed wrote:I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"


I wouldn't mind being confused with these guys:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Veyron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Veyron wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook.


What is a WLRC?


Pretty sure you shouldn't be dispensing advice if you don't know what WLRC is.


I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"

Double facepalm!

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--


Oh noes, not a typo on teh INTEWEBZ!

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Veyron wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
What is a WLRC?


Pretty sure you shouldn't be dispensing advice if you don't know what WLRC is.


I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"

Double facepalm!

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--


Oh noes, not a typo on teh INTEWEBZ!


The initial typo was a minor embarrassment but the fact that you were dense enough to miss it the second time (and arrogant enough to chastise someone who pointed it out) is... well, see the graphics above.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Renzo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.

Weak sauce. Shoulda said, "ITT: people from NYU try and convince themselves they're just as good as CLS."

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.

Weak sauce. Shoulda said, "ITT: people from NYU try and convince themselves they're just as good as CLS."


NYU has the better basketball team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deans'_Cup

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Renzo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:05 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.

Weak sauce. Shoulda said, "ITT: people from NYU try and convince themselves they're just as good as CLS."


NYU has the better basketball team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deans'_Cup

We've got the better everything. But, if you were going to try and troll NYU kids, their collective inferiority complex re. CLS is the best shot.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby Unemployed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Renzo wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.

Weak sauce. Shoulda said, "ITT: people from NYU try and convince themselves they're just as good as CLS."


NYU has the better basketball team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deans'_Cup

We've got the better everything. But, if you were going to try and troll NYU kids, their collective inferiority complex re. CLS is the best shot.


Naw... it was a successful strategy on Kurama's part. Forcing NYU to defend itself against the "clearly inferior" schools is much more demeaning than pulling out the CLS v. NYU card.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Veyron wrote:Cornell places a bit better then DNG in NYC. Fordham places better than BU/BC.


D places somewhat better than C in NYC.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby rayiner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:16 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.


It's okay. They can comfort themselves in placing 10-15% more of their class in biglaw than T7-14.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 pm

irishman86 wrote:--ImageRemoved--



Take that Tulane.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.


It's okay. They can comfort themselves in placing 10-15% more of their class into NYC than T7-14, the same or less into clerkships, the same or less into prestigious government, the same or less into Cali biglaw, and the same or less into DC biglaw.


:wink:

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rayiner wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.


ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.


It's okay. They can comfort themselves in placing 10-15% more of their class into NYC than T7-14, the same or less into clerkships, the same or less into prestigious government, the same or less into Cali biglaw, and the same or less into DC biglaw.


:wink:



thanks kurama

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:03 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:thanks kurama


You've got to make up your mind. Either I'm D Brooks, Kurama, or next I suppose I'll be Jesse Jackson. I mean shit, all Black people look and sound alike so what's the difference right?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest