Schools & NYC Placement Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoollll

Bronze

Re: Schools & NYC Placement

Post by lawschoollll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:40 pm

quakeroats wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
quakeroats wrote: Yes. For example, roughly twice as many Duke students end up in NYC V10s relative to Michigan when controlling for class size. While these two work very well for comparison (both send a plurality of their students to NYC, both are outside of major markets, both are ranked similarly, etc.), you can do this across the top schools and get roughly the same picture. I'd make the case that V10 NYC placement is a good all-purpose metric for judging one school to the next unless you have a very specialized interest. Article III Clerkships follow the same basic trend:

YHS...Duke/Chicago/Penn...UVA/Columbia...Northwestern/Michigan/NYU/Cornell
What an idiot 1L/0L.

V10 placement is not an accurate all-purpose metric for judging NYC placement.

Also, no, you are not getting v10.
http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

You're a legitimately horrible poster. And it's WLRK. hth
I'll stand by my postings. I've cited lots of data on this. If you're apt to believe otherwise, go with God. You'll need him.
Was supposed to be directed at "Veyron." Fixed above.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't know where you got the idea that Duke historically places better in Article III clerkships.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=75513

Check out this thread.
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... news-.html

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:43 pm

lawschoollll wrote: Was supposed to be directed at "Veyron." Fixed above.
I love you too.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook.

What is a WLRC?
Pretty sure you shouldn't be dispensing advice if you don't know what WLRC is.
I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"

Double facepalm!

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Unemployed on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:52 pm

It's ok, Penn is one of the top non-T6 schools in the country!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.

Normally you're spot on with these, but I don't think they're whining about "who is" daddy can beat up "who is."

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:59 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook. For the very competitive firms, perhaps the top 10% of the class is looked at similarly at both schools, but I would much rather be median at Penn aiming for NYC than at D.

I said "I think" about CSM because I wasn't sure.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:02 pm

irishman86 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:HYSCCN...Duke/Penn...UVA...Cornell/GULC/Northwestern...Michigan/Berkeley
Aren't you a 0L?

This isn't accurate at all.

I go to Mich and we had the plurality of our firms at OCI from NYC. Accessibility to firms during OCI is a huge deal because mass mailing doesn't work for most.

I'd say it's HYSCN....C...Penn...Mich/UVA...Cornell/Duke...Northwestern/GULC....Berkeley. (Not sure about Chicago actually, seems like they did a lot worse this year in NY.)
Michigan sends a lot of students to NYC; it just doesn't do it very well. Michigan is a really good example of how far off the mark USNWR can be. Take the following data points:

Last year's OCI: Michigan's shocking under performance relative to Duke/Penn/etc.
AIII Clerkships
NYC Vault 10 placement
D.C. placement: Michigan's at the bottom of the T14 here

I can't think of many reasons to choose Michigan over any other T14 (perhaps a strong desire to practice in Detriot). Michigan's been on its way out for 30 years. It just has a lot of historical prestige that's keeping it afloat, but that won't last forever.
Last edited by quakeroats on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Veyron wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook. For the very competitive firms, perhaps the top 10% of the class is looked at similarly at both schools, but I would much rather be median at Penn aiming for NYC than at D.

No worries. At least your football team took out Minnesota on the road today. Life's not so bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Renzo wrote:ITT: people from T7-14 schools whine and fight about who's daddy can beat up who's.
ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:14 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Veyron wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:

No worries. At least your football team took out Minnesota on the road today. Life's not so bad.
GRRRR

I hope they take out Yale today.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
ITT people from NYU delude themselves into thinking that being "#6" in US News translates to a real world difference.
TITCR - although TBF NYU does outplace Penn in NYC.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Unemployed wrote:I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"
I wouldn't mind being confused with these guys:

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Veyron wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Veyron wrote:This is so stupid, there are 100V firms and another 150 NLJ250. WLRC (and I think CSM) don't even recruit at Dook.

What is a WLRC?
I'm sure the folks at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz will be impressed with your creativity and the depth of your literary knowledge when you address them as "Wachtell Lipton RosenCrantz!"

Double facepalm!

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Oh noes, not a typo on teh INTEWEBZ!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Veyron wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
What is a WLRC?

Double facepalm!

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Oh noes, not a typo on teh INTEWEBZ!
The initial typo was a minor embarrassment but the fact that you were dense enough to miss it the second time (and arrogant enough to chastise someone who pointed it out) is... well, see the graphics above.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Weak sauce. Shoulda said, "ITT: people from NYU try and convince themselves they're just as good as CLS."

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Weak sauce. Shoulda said, "ITT: people from NYU try and convince themselves they're just as good as CLS."
NYU has the better basketball team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deans'_Cup

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:05 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
We've got the better everything. But, if you were going to try and troll NYU kids, their collective inferiority complex re. CLS is the best shot.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Renzo wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
We've got the better everything. But, if you were going to try and troll NYU kids, their collective inferiority complex re. CLS is the best shot.
Naw... it was a successful strategy on Kurama's part. Forcing NYU to defend itself against the "clearly inferior" schools is much more demeaning than pulling out the CLS v. NYU card.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Veyron wrote:Cornell places a bit better then DNG in NYC. Fordham places better than BU/BC.
D places somewhat better than C in NYC.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:16 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
It's okay. They can comfort themselves in placing 10-15% more of their class in biglaw than T7-14.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 pm

irishman86 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Take that Tulane.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
It's okay. They can comfort themselves in placing 10-15% more of their class into NYC than T7-14, the same or less into clerkships, the same or less into prestigious government, the same or less into Cali biglaw, and the same or less into DC biglaw.
:wink:

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rayiner wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
It's okay. They can comfort themselves in placing 10-15% more of their class into NYC than T7-14, the same or less into clerkships, the same or less into prestigious government, the same or less into Cali biglaw, and the same or less into DC biglaw.
:wink:

thanks kurama

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:03 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:thanks kurama
You've got to make up your mind. Either I'm D Brooks, Kurama, or next I suppose I'll be Jesse Jackson. I mean shit, all Black people look and sound alike so what's the difference right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”