Would it be a terrible decision to....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Would it be a terrible decision to....

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:56 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
Early Decision:

Students who fall below Virginia Law’s medians can increase their chances of admission by applying Early Decision. Trujillo says:

If we are going to “reach” for someone, it will often be through the early decision process. Virginia is, for some applicants, truly their dream school and they apply early decision. If I can make that person’s dream a reality, I will strive to do so.

If you fall into this category and are worried about obtaining scholarship money, have no fear. Applying ED does not affect an applicant’s merit scholarship prospects. In fact, Trujillo states:

I treat the ED applicants the same as if they applied regular decision. If I did not, word would spread pretty quickly and I’d expect far fewer ED applicants the following year. Some who apply ED and receive scholarship assistance are quite shocked. For example, I gave $20,000+ scholarships to two ED applicants and they were quite surprised.

Yes, there is scholarship money for some people who ED, because if they never gave money to people who went ED Trujillo would be most likely correct about that prediction. Does that mean you have the same chance at getting scholarship money if you went ED as opposed to regular decision? Ummmmmm no.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Yes, there is scholarship money for some people who ED, because if they never gave money to people who went ED Trujillo would be most likely correct about that prediction. Does that mean you have the same chance at getting scholarship money if you went ED as opposed to regular decision? Ummmmmm no.

True. Adcomms (everywhere) really don't want to admit that ED helps your chances of admission and hurts your chances at a scholarship. Not saying it always blanks the latter, but that is very often the case.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Yes, there is scholarship money for some people who ED, because if they never gave money to people who went ED Trujillo would be most likely correct about that prediction. Does that mean you have the same chance at getting scholarship money if you went ED as opposed to regular decision? Ummmmmm no.

True. Adcomms (everywhere) really don't want to admit that ED helps your chances of admission and hurts your chances at a scholarship. Not saying it always blanks the latter, but that is very often the case.

They may not have the same chance, but I'm inclined to think that it's less because the adcomms simply know they've got the student on the hook and more because your typical ED applicant would receive less money than an RD anyway. I think when you take into consideration that most people with the numbers for a full-ride/hefty scholarship probably aren't EDing, and most people that are EDing usually have less than scholarship-worthy numbers, the amount of aid a school like UVA gives out to its ED applicants sounds about right.

Or am I talking out my ass?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:31 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:They may not have the same chance, but I'm inclined to think that it's less because the adcomms simply know they've got the student on the hook and more because your typical ED applicant would receive less money than an RD anyway. I think when you take into consideration that most people with the numbers for a full-ride/hefty scholarship probably aren't EDing, and most people that are EDing usually have less than scholarship-worthy numbers, the amount of aid a school like UVA gives out to its ED applicants sounds about right.

I would say it is probably both, but I think we're more talking about the $5k per year scholarships and not full-ride people. I think ED'ing for someone who may have received a small scholly might negate that small scholly, but of course I am not 100% on this. And it very well may be that people with really good numbers who ED to a certain school for whatever reason do end up with less $, but since it almost never happens it is hard to tell.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Hey everyone, OP here. This was more just out of curiosity of what everyone thought. I am very happy with my ED decision.

No there was no grade requirement, could have been bottom 5% and still went for free.

I was wondering if people would take the full ride and stipend to a regional school even if you didnt want to stay in the area, over a great school, sometimes national, full sticker price.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

OP despite what you want to do, I think going to MSU would have been a bad idea. I was talking to a guy the other day that has a full ride at MSU, ranked in the top of his class and everything and he said he is having a really tough time getting a job out of state. It's definitely possible, but I would say that the risk is not worth the potential reward. Just my opinion though. I do hear you, no debt is damn tempting.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
bk1 wrote:

They may not have the same chance, but I'm inclined to think that it's less because the adcomms simply know they've got the student on the hook and more because your typical ED applicant would receive less money than an RD anyway. I think when you take into consideration that most people with the numbers for a full-ride/hefty scholarship probably aren't EDing, and most people that are EDing usually have less than scholarship-worthy numbers, the amount of aid a school like UVA gives out to its ED applicants sounds about right.

Two examples:
1st) If school's funds are starting to get limited and they need a high LSAT applicant to boost their class median LSAT score (or keep it the same as last year), you think they are going to offer money to the high LSAT applicant who applied RD and is thinking about others schools or you think they will give that money to an ED applicant, who is already locked into accepting?

2nd) For a school trying to up their yield percentage, is it better to offer a few smaller scholarships to candidates who were accepted with just decent numbers, or better to offer that same money to applicants who went ED with just decent numbers and who are already locked in?

While schools will hurt themselves by giving out NO money for ED applicants, they would also hurt themselves in the ranking game by giving out an equal proportion of money to ED applicants. While I think not every single decision admissions make is determined by the ranking game, I think situations will come up enough to swing the advantage of getting money to those who applied RD, everything else being equal (though they take a risk of being rejected/WL'd).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”