Advice needed: Bama vs Georgia vs FL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawyerdoone

Advice needed: Bama vs Georgia vs FL

Postby lawyerdoone » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:55 pm

I need advice... Would a student benefit from law school in the state they plan on practicing in (i.e., UF or FSU) or attend a higher-rated school like UGA or Bama? Thanks!

Veyron

Re: Advice needed: Bama vs Georgia vs FL

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:00 pm

lawyerdoone wrote:I need advice... Would a student benefit from law school in the state they plan on practicing in (i.e., UF or FSU) or attend a higher-rated school like UGA or Bama? Thanks!

GO TO LAW SCHOOL IN THE STATE IN WHICH YOU WISH TO PRACTICE /THREAD

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Veyron wrote:
lawyerdoone wrote:I need advice... Would a student benefit from law school in the state they plan on practicing in (i.e., UF or FSU) or attend a higher-rated school like UGA or Bama? Thanks!

I'd say that is generally true, but I don't think it's that hard and fast in this scenario. If you are from Florida, but you get a large scholarship from a well respected school in the region, like UGA/BAMA, and no scholarship from UF or FSU, I would think UGA and BAMA are good options. You get to take advantage of the market those schools are situated in while simultaneoulsy taking advantage of your ties to Florida.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I'd say that is generally true, but I don't think it's that hard and fast in this scenario. If you are from Florida, but you get a large scholarship from a well respected school in the region, like UGA/BAMA, and no scholarship from UF or FSU, I would think UGA and BAMA are good options. You get to take advantage of the market those schools are situated in while simultaneoulsy taking advantage of your ties to Florida.

Truth, but I would take the full ride because the prospect of finding any legal employment out of any of those schools ITE is dicey. Better to have no job and no debt than no job and debt.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:36 pm

I was in a similar situation in that I sort of want to work in my home state, SC, but I chose to go to UGA. South Carolina didn't give me enough money to justify going to a TTT. I'd rather tough it out and take the chance that I have to work in GA than tough it out at a school that has a 54% employment rate.
FWIW, there are a lot of UGA alum working in FL.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Anyone outside of the region is generally ignorant of the regional power of UF/FSU in-state. Please note, they rarely give money to non-minority students. In state tuition is insanely low, COL is gainesville is VERY LOW, QOL of is quite high.

LogicGamez

Postby LogicGamez » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:01 am

Go to the one with he highest ranked football team obviously

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

LogicGamez wrote:Go to the one with he highest ranked football team obviously

BCS, AP or Coaches poll????

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 am

I'm a 1L at Bama and there are a lot of people from Florida, who plan on going back (at least in my section).

Message me if you have any specific questions.

Roll Tide.

Strictly Bum

Postby Strictly Bum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:36 am

How is UGA? How are the people and Athens? Crime rate?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Want to practice in FL? Go to UF or FSU. The loyalty factor is EXTREMELY high.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:How is UGA? How are the people and Athens? Crime rate?

I love UGA. Loyal alum, helpful professors, and the school overall seems to care a lot about the students.
The students here are ridiculously nice. Athens is incredibly fun. Bars everywhere, lots of places to eat, etc. We have an 80s bar and are getting a 90s bar soon :)
OTOH, Athens can be sketchy. Basically you have to stick to certain areas. Downtown, where all the bars are and where campus is, is safe. I feel sketched out sometimes, but I went to a rural undergrad without crime/homeless people and have been sheltered most of my life.
If anyone has UGA questions, feel free to PM me(even if you found this thread in a search and it is february or something).

Strictly Bum

Postby Strictly Bum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:33 pm

eandy wrote:

I love UGA. Loyal alum, helpful professors, and the school overall seems to care a lot about the students.
The students here are ridiculously nice. Athens is incredibly fun. Bars everywhere, lots of places to eat, etc. We have an 80s bar and are getting a 90s bar soon :)
OTOH, Athens can be sketchy. Basically you have to stick to certain areas. Downtown, where all the bars are and where campus is, is safe. I feel sketched out sometimes, but I went to a rural undergrad without crime/homeless people and have been sheltered most of my life.
If anyone has UGA questions, feel free to PM me(even if you found this thread in a search and it is february or something).

Where is the law school compared to the undergrad? Do you go there for law school?

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
eandy wrote:

Where is the law school compared to the undergrad? Do you go there for law school?

Yes, I go to UGA for LS. The LS is on the main campus. In fact, the law library is right next to the main UG library. The main undergrad campus is huge, so for those interested, the law school is on the northern part of campus, right by downtown. I live on the edge of downtown and walk to campus every day(10-15 min. walk).

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Cupidity wrote:Anyone outside of the region is generally ignorant of the regional power of UF/FSU in-state. Please note, they rarely give money to non-minority students. In state tuition is insanely low, COL is gainesville is VERY LOW, QOL of is quite high.

Even though I hate it, he's right. Florida drinks the UF kool-aid and acts as if its the Harvard of the South.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”