UVA vs. UMich comparison?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolman1

Re: UVA vs. UMich comparison?

Postby lawschoolman1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:14 am

irishman86 wrote:
lawschoolman1 wrote:Interesting topic. Does anyone know how UVA places at Federal Agencies such as the SEC and CFTC(Commodity Futures Trading Commission)? I'm interested in these two agencies and figure UVA would be a good school to go to and network for these positions.

Networking is mainly a myth.

If you want a 2L position with the SEC, you will need good grades. If you want a permanent job, you will most likely need to get good grades, work biglaw, then lateral.

I don't agree that Networking is a myth, but I'm sure you need good grades to begin with. I'm just curious how UVA would place in these agencies compared to say a Columbia or NYU?

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:26 am

lawschoolman1 wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
lawschoolman1 wrote:Interesting topic. Does anyone know how UVA places at Federal Agencies such as the SEC and CFTC(Commodity Futures Trading Commission)? I'm interested in these two agencies and figure UVA would be a good school to go to and network for these positions.

If you want a 2L position with the SEC, you will need good grades. If you want a permanent job, you will most likely need to get good grades, work biglaw, then lateral.

I don't agree that Networking is a myth, but I'm sure you need good grades to begin with. I'm just curious how UVA would place in these agencies compared to say a Columbia or NYU?

Are you talking about post-grad or 2L summer? I think post-grad it's incredibly difficult (to the point of this discussion being moot) from any t-14 school since most fed gov agencies hire laterals for permanent positions, and by then hiring is probably more so based on your work experience (and possibly grades still) than alma mater.

lawschoolman1

Postby lawschoolman1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:36 am

irishman86 wrote:
lawschoolman1 wrote:
irishman86 wrote:

Are you talking about post-grad or 2L summer? I think post-grad it's incredibly difficult (to the point of this discussion being moot) from any t-14 school since most fed gov agencies hire laterals for permanent positions.

Mainly 2l summer since I have yet to start law school. I wouldn't mind doing corporate law for a few years and then moving into one of those fed agencies. I already have experience in the financial sector, so I know the field is where I want to work.

I hear great things about UVA overall. So are you saying in general for a fed job at SEC, no matter what school you attend, you are going to have a tough time getting a permanent position right out of law school? Is this because they now want people who have industry experience or is this something every Fed agency is doing? Thanks

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:56 am

lawschoolman1 wrote: Mainly 2l summer since I have yet to start law school. I wouldn't mind doing corporate law for a few years and then moving into one of those fed agencies. I already have experience in the financial sector, so I know the field is where I want to work.

I hear great things about UVA overall. So are you saying in general for a fed job at SEC, no matter what school you attend, you are going to have a tough time getting a permanent position right out of law school? Is this because they now want people who have industry experience or is this something every Fed agency is doing? Thanks

For 2L summer, I doubt going to UVA would give you a boost over going to other t-14 schools.

This is something every fed agency is doing. It's hard getting a permanent position straight out of law school because: (1) there are very few permanent positions so competition is fierce (there are many people with work experience applying, why would they choose a straight out of law school grad over a COA clerk or practicing attorney with experience?); and (2) fed gov agencies don't want to teach you how to do your job. To a certain extent, that's what biglaw is for.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 am

DOJ civil came to UVA on Friday and said that because of budget cuts many divisions are more interested in hiring young attorneys and fresh law school grads. She said this was because they have to pay experienced attorneys more money (check out the pay scale requirements they have for laterals on their website). UVA will do you fine for a federal job. The reality is that the demarcations in the top 14 are not going to matter to the fed government as much as your grades, resume, and commitment to working for them.

lawschoolman1

Postby lawschoolman1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:50 am

BruceWayne wrote:DOJ civil came to UVA on Friday and said that because of budget cuts many divisions are more interested in hiring young attorneys and fresh law school grads. She said this was because they have to pay experienced attorneys more money (check out the pay scale requirements they have for laterals on their website). UVA will do you fine for a federal job. The reality is that the demarcations in the top 14 are not going to matter to the fed government as much as your grades, resume, and commitment to working for them.

Thanks for the information. As someone who goes to UVA, has the CIA recruited at your school? I'm more curious about their process than actually going it.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:14 pm

JG Hall wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:UVA probably has some of the best weather in the top 14 along with Stanford, Duke, and Berkeley.

It's really offensive to California to suggest that Charlottesville is similar in weather. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ0yCyMBdB4

No one cares what California thinks.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:36 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:UVA probably has some of the best weather in the top 14 along with Stanford, Duke, and Berkeley.

It's really offensive to California to suggest that Charlottesville is similar in weather. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ0yCyMBdB4

No one cares what California thinks.

Agreed. Not to mention he didn't say it was similar to begin with.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”