LSAT higher than GPA (160/2.8)..?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Veyron

Re: LSAT higher than GPA (160/2.8)..?

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Now, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but.

1) Retake LSAT
2) Considering your GPA if not 99%... waiiiiiit for it

What is he going to say Dad?

I don't know son, but its going to be epic.

Really?

Unprecedentedly epic.

Yay!

DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!

capnb

Postby capnb » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Shameless retake is a good way to put it...oh well whatever it takes.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:58 pm

I know a complete idiot who went to a TTT and graduated at 50% of his class and now landed a $70k a year job in Houston after graduating last year

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:08 pm

merc280 wrote:I know a complete idiot who went to a TTT and graduated at 50% of his class and now landed a $70k a year job in Houston after graduating last year

I know of a guy who dropped out of college who started Mircosoft. I win!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
merc280 wrote:I know a complete idiot who went to a TTT and graduated at 50% of his class and now landed a $70k a year job in Houston after graduating last year

Actually you don't win because the dropout was a smart, capable man who started a company and didn't get a job working for someone else.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Veyron wrote:

He dropped out of Harvard, though. Doesn't count.

Oh, never mind, you're talking about the guy who started Mircosoft. I was thinking of Microsoft.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 pm

merc280 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Actually you don't win because the dropout was a smart, capable man who started a company and didn't get a job working for someone else.

Actually, I do win, because my PC runs Windows. Fuck you Steve Jobs!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 pm

rad law wrote:
nStiver wrote:
rad law wrote:
iamsinistar wrote:Besides, any douchebag from a T14 can get a job, but it's what you do AFTER you get the job. I know plenty of lawyers who got good grades in law school but couldn't win an argument with a 4 year-old. So you don't get a great job right out of school.... work for peanuts at a small firm for a couple years, learn the ropes, kick some ass and then move on to something bigger/better.

So you are saying that your performance in the legal field after you graduate has no bearing on your future success as a lawyer? How well you do will always be determined by what school you went to, even after 20 years of work? I find that hard to believe.

It does, but if you get a job a shitlaw insurance defense firm or don't get a legal job at all, you may not get a chance to "pull yourself up by the bootstraps. This, plus most biglaw firms hire 2Ls, not established lawyers.

That is true.

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:13 am

Richardson School of Law might be a good fit for the OP. 3 year in Hawaii doesm't cost as much as a many other school and Good (for TTT) prospects with much lower debt. Also Richardson allow him to get in backdoor to get a Canadian JD from UBC, after L2 (with his stats they would not go near him) which allow the option of going into the Canadain legal market if need be. Still Law school predictor put him at 46% for Richardson
Link to the program: http://www.law.hawaii.edu/study-abroad/ubc
I'm thinking of doing this program starting from UBC

capnb

Postby capnb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how practical that is, but it sounds great. Just flying to Hawaii and back is pretty expensive, and I'm not sure how enthusiastic I would be to go from Hawaii to Canada.. ;)

As an aside, my fiance has quite a few relatives in Hawaii, and she travels there every year. Her brother is actually about to get his 2nd undergrad degree there (in chemistry?)- his first was from the Univ of Chicago (economics). I guess when you have enough money you can do construction, make smoothies, and put together cabinets...temporarily living in a teepee. I couldn't make this stuff up...

Anyway, I'm going to try to raise my LSAT score and then reevaluate my options, but I'll definitely look into Richardson School of Law.

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:25 pm

capnb wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how practical that is, but it sounds great. Just flying to Hawaii and back is pretty expensive, and I'm not sure how enthusiastic I would be to go from Hawaii to Canada.. ;)

Vancouver a world class city and better weather the most of the other city you listed :)

rostovru

Postby rostovru » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 pm

An ease toward spending 150k toward law school sans financing suggests a Hawaii-Canada ticket could be within reach...

capnb

Postby capnb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I never said anything about $150,000. I said I was considering some private schools. Random people started throwing out those numbers. Besides, paying $50,000 a year for tuition and living expenses doesn't inherently justify spending thousands more.

I live in Florida- about as far as you can get from Hawaii and Canada. Two round trip tickets ($1100) three times a year for three years...about $10,000. Even if I become a law school recluse and never go home, I wouldn't want my parents, brother, and/or friends to have to spend a ton to see me (i.e. for graduation or whatever).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”