LSAT higher than GPA (160/2.8)..?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
d34d9823

Re: LSAT higher than GPA (160/2.8)..?

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:37 pm

capnb wrote: Plus, for all the posts about how "[insert important TLS person handle] studied 12+ hours a week for 17 weeks to get consistent 170s," you guys seem to treat this LSAT like an IQ test (when in reality it's just another test than anybody with enough time and determination can master)..

You're exactly right, which is why everyone on here choruses "retake" whenever this question is asked. The vast difference in career prospects relative to the amount of work it takes to improve a score is absolutely worth it.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:40 pm

capnb wrote:I'm consistently 80-90% on the logical reasoning. I've just about mastered logic games which I hadn't prepared for enough for the 1st one. I've just about mastered the reading comp too- its just about speed. I could probably raise it a few more points.

You need to retake again. Master that shit. It makes a huge difference. It looks like people who get a 166 get a full ride to Brooklyn Law school.

capnb

Postby capnb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:47 pm

If I take it again in December, I won't have the score until at least the middle of January. If I did this, would I just wait to apply or apply and update my application later?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:50 pm

capnb wrote:If I take it again in December, I won't have the score until at least the middle of January. If I did this, would I just wait to apply or apply and update my application later?

Wait to see what schools you should apply too. But, you should have a personal statement, and letters of recommendation already in the system.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:50 pm

capnb wrote:If I take it again in December, I won't have the score until at least the middle of January. If I did this, would I just wait to apply or apply and update my application later?

Best would be to apply to the schools that the 160 will get you now and if you get higher in December, apply to the completely different set of schools that score will get you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Barbie wrote:OP,
I think you would surely get into Stetson. If you don't mind living in Tampa for at least a while after graduation, this wouldn't be a bad choice. Stetson places very well here and is well respected within city limits. It is a beautiful campus and apparently students are overall very happy with their education, but it isn't ranked very well and doesn't have reach much outside if Tampa, as well as having a high price tag. If you are really not worried about the debt, I would consider Stetson a great choice. One of the women I worked for (who worked alongside other graduates from GWU, etc) was a recent Stetson grad. She went for sticker and is still making hefty payments on her loans, but she is doing well for herself, has great hours, and s job she wanted. So overall-- if you like Tampa/St.Petersburg area and aren't worried about the $$, apply! Good luck with your cycle!

Oh and that was a tough loss tonight :( Sorry gators!

Stetson sucks unless you're already connected or going for free. Local govt. isn't hiring; big law is out to begin with.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:05 pm

stetson would be an extremely risky proposition at sticker.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:23 pm

rad law wrote:
Barbie wrote:OP,
I think you would surely get into Stetson. If you don't mind living in Tampa for at least a while after graduation, this wouldn't be a bad choice. Stetson places very well here and is well respected within city limits. It is a beautiful campus and apparently students are overall very happy with their education, but it isn't ranked very well and doesn't have reach much outside if Tampa, as well as having a high price tag. If you are really not worried about the debt, I would consider Stetson a great choice. One of the women I worked for (who worked alongside other graduates from GWU, etc) was a recent Stetson grad. She went for sticker and is still making hefty payments on her loans, but she is doing well for herself, has great hours, and s job she wanted. So overall-- if you like Tampa/St.Petersburg area and aren't worried about the $$, apply! Good luck with your cycle!

Oh and that was a tough loss tonight :( Sorry gators!

Stetson sucks unless you're already connected or going for free. Local govt. isn't hiring; big law is out to begin with.

rad-- he said he doesn't care about the money AND he already has a bunch of Florida connections.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Barbie wrote:Stetson sucks unless you're already connected or going for free. Local govt. isn't hiring; big law is out to begin with.

rad-- he said he doesn't care about the money AND he already has a bunch of Florida connections.[/quote]

Ah okay. Didn't read OP. Still wouldn't blow the money, but there ya go.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:56 pm

OP, as for outside of Florida.. use this: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

for top100, there are really only a few options, sucha s LSU, Arkansas, etc that would consider your #s. GL

capnb

Postby capnb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks again. Hopefully they'll take into account that my low gpa is mainly due to a handful of classes my first year, and some schools might appreciate that I had to overcome some serious medical issues while at school. Plus, ill have about two years of work between undergrad and law school. My other thought was that some respected private schools might be more lenient about numbers than an equally prestigious public school.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 pm

capnb wrote:Thanks again. Hopefully they'll take into account that my low gpa is mainly due to a handful of classes my first year, and some schools might appreciate that I had to overcome some serious medical issues while at school. Plus, ill have about two years of work between undergrad and law school. My other thought was that some respected private schools might be more lenient about numbers than an equally prestigious public school.

Well, when it comes to GPA forgiveness because of medical issues-- I'll let you know how that pans out. I've already submitted all my applications and have some ultimate medical issues that have made my transcripts and GPA together an ugly mess of withdrawals and sporatic grade trends. Realistically, though, the numbers are still the numbers. Don't count on medical problems making up for it.

Public vs. Private I don't think there is really any difference. If so, it will be reflected on their admitted students #s. LSN and LSP will both give you a pretty good idea of your chances.

Work experience is a plus, but I would definitly make sure one of my LORs came from my boss then.

iamsinistar

Postby iamsinistar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:59 am

My advice is not to listen to any of the dipshits like Desert Fox, who appears to be a little too obsessed with replying to this thread.

Since your GPA is under the 25th for pretty much every school, focus on schools where your LSAT is above the 75th. There are plenty of decent schools which may not land you a job with a spectacular salary to start, but you will get a job if you have a good head on your shoulders.

Besides, any douchebag from a T14 can get a job, but it's what you do AFTER you get the job. I know plenty of lawyers who got good grades in law school but couldn't win an argument with a 4 year-old. So you don't get a great job right out of school.... work for peanuts at a small firm for a couple years, learn the ropes, kick some ass and then move on to something bigger/better.

Go do a user search on Law School Numbers, plug in your numbers and see where other people got in. That should give you a good place to start. And one more thing - AIM HIGH! There's always a chance you could be the outlier who gets in.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:07 am

iamsinistar wrote:Besides, any douchebag from a T14 can get a job, but it's what you do AFTER you get the job. I know plenty of lawyers who got good grades in law school but couldn't win an argument with a 4 year-old. So you don't get a great job right out of school.... work for peanuts at a small firm for a couple years, learn the ropes, kick some ass and then move on to something bigger/better.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 am

iamsinistar wrote:My advice is not to listen to any of the dipshits like Desert Fox, who appears to be a little too obsessed with replying to this thread.

Since your GPA is under the 25th for pretty much every school, focus on schools where your LSAT is above the 75th. There are plenty of decent schools which may not land you a job with a spectacular salary to start, but you will get a job if you have a good head on your shoulders.

Besides, any douchebag from a T14 can get a job, but it's what you do AFTER you get the job. I know plenty of lawyers who got good grades in law school but couldn't win an argument with a 4 year-old. So you don't get a great job right out of school.... work for peanuts at a small firm for a couple years, learn the ropes, kick some ass and then move on to something bigger/better.

Go do a user search on Law School Numbers, plug in your numbers and see where other people got in. That should give you a good place to start. And one more thing - AIM HIGH! There's always a chance you could be the outlier who gets in.

lol

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:52 am

iamsinistar wrote:My advice is not to listen to any of the dipshits like Desert Fox, who appears to be a little too obsessed with replying to this thread.

I love the smell of naivety in the morning.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:56 am

I'm scared as shit about getting a job from Northwestern, with a BS in EE from a great engineering school. I can't imagine going to a t3 at sticker.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'm scared as shit about getting a job from Northwestern, with a BS in EE from a great engineering school. I can't imagine going to a t3 at sticker.

This. I'm scared as shit about my future loan payments and I'm getting a little over a half ride from VanderbilTTT.

capnb

Postby capnb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks sinistar (and others). Yeah, I figure some schools probably rely on balancing out high lsat/low gpa with low lsat/high gpa people more than other schools (i.e. they take somone like me (160/2.8 ) and somebody with a 150 and a 3.8- averages to 155/3.3). A school with a 155/3.3 median probably isn't the best school ever...but if I can get the 160 up a little higher, I might be able to get into a decent school.

Like I said before, I have some connections so I'll be able to get a job (in FL at least). I already have at least 1 firm that said they'll hire me (no bs). Nevertheless, I want the best legal education possible.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm

kwais wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
capnb wrote:Yeah... Anthropology doesn't generally pay much higher than 50K right out of school either. My family is fairly well off so I can afford to go to these schools.

What about Michigan State or Univ of San Francisco? There's also the option of switching into a better school after a year.

Yea but that's 50K with no debt. Having 200K in debt on only 50K is worse than making 35K a year as an Anthropologist.

Hey, I know it gets you guys all hot and excited to tell people not to go to law school, but if someone wants to go, then shut the fuck up. You are not some sage of wisdom. To some people, it is a unique and challenging degree and it is more than a cost/benefit analysis. When you actually crawl out from your TLS rock, you will find that life is not so black and white

Hell yea man. Exactly what I was thinking. Ignore the nay-sayers. They do not understand your life, nor do they know anything more about you than what they read on 3 or 4 internet posts. Ignore them.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:58 pm

nStiver wrote:
kwais wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
capnb wrote:Yeah... Anthropology doesn't generally pay much higher than 50K right out of school either. My family is fairly well off so I can afford to go to these schools.

What about Michigan State or Univ of San Francisco? There's also the option of switching into a better school after a year.

Yea but that's 50K with no debt. Having 200K in debt on only 50K is worse than making 35K a year as an Anthropologist.

Hey, I know it gets you guys all hot and excited to tell people not to go to law school, but if someone wants to go, then shut the fuck up. You are not some sage of wisdom. To some people, it is a unique and challenging degree and it is more than a cost/benefit analysis. When you actually crawl out from your TLS rock, you will find that life is not so black and white

Hell yea man. Exactly what I was thinking. Ignore the nay-sayers. They do not understand your life, nor do they know anything more about you than what they read on 3 or 4 internet posts. Ignore them.

The world is your oyster.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
capnb wrote:I'm consistently 80-90% on the logical reasoning. I've just about mastered logic games which I hadn't prepared for enough for the 1st one. I've just about mastered the reading comp too- its just about speed. I could probably raise it a few more points.

You need to retake again. Master that shit. It makes a huge difference. It looks like people who get a 166 get a full ride to Brooklyn Law school.

Yes, do that. I am a 3rd time re taker. I also have a 2.9 GPA. For us guys with shitty GPAs, the LSAT is a God send. The LSAT is a great way to cover up huge, glaring hole's in your application, like a GPA in the twos for example. Who cares if you take the test three times. I am a shameless re taker, you should be too! Who gives a shit what people think. Do what you have to do to get into a good law school. It is a way to drastically improve your standing in life, as well as to make up for years of slacking in college. All this can be accomplished with comparatively little effort. Whats a few months obsessively studying for a test when your quality of life is on the line? Hell, I even enjoy studying the LSAT.

Its funny when I read about admissions people "wondering why someone took the lsat 3 times" or needing an explanation as to "why there is such a vast difference between a student's original score and their retake score". To me, it is pretty obvious. I retook the damn test because I want to maximize my chances of admission!!!

The moral of the story is that even if you have a good GPA, get the best LSAT score possible. If you have a bad GPA, then you MUST get the best LSAT score possible, or you won't be getting in anywhere. This is a no brainer.

Also, to the OP, if you are well off, there is nothing wrong with waiting another year to apply if it gives you enough time to absolutely crush the LSAT. Your score is very much a result of how much effort you put in. If you can get a 160, I am willing to bet that you can score much higher if you put in enough practice. Even if you have to do every damn exam in history, jack up that LSAT! Its your only hope!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:14 pm

rad law wrote:
iamsinistar wrote:Besides, any douchebag from a T14 can get a job, but it's what you do AFTER you get the job. I know plenty of lawyers who got good grades in law school but couldn't win an argument with a 4 year-old. So you don't get a great job right out of school.... work for peanuts at a small firm for a couple years, learn the ropes, kick some ass and then move on to something bigger/better.

So you are saying that your performance in the legal field after you graduate has no bearing on your future success as a lawyer? How well you do will always be determined by what school you went to, even after 20 years of work? I find that hard to believe.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:53 pm

nStiver wrote:
rad law wrote:

So you are saying that your performance in the legal field after you graduate has no bearing on your future success as a lawyer? How well you do will always be determined by what school you went to, even after 20 years of work? I find that hard to believe.

It does, but if you get a job a shitlaw insurance defense firm or don't get a legal job at all, you may not get a chance to "pull yourself up by the bootstraps. This, plus most biglaw firms hire 2Ls, not established lawyers.

Merr

Postby Merr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:42 pm

rad law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm scared as shit about getting a job from Northwestern, with a BS in EE from a great engineering school. I can't imagine going to a t3 at sticker.

This. I'm scared as shit about my future loan payments and I'm getting a little over a half ride from VanderbilTTT.

This. I am also scared as shit about job prospects and future loan payments on my in-state tuition at UNC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”