Vanderbilt vs T14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Re: Vanderbilt vs T14

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:23 pm

HYS
CCN
MVPBDN
V
C
G

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

im_blue wrote:HYS
CCN
MVPBDN
V
C
G

Pull this out of your ass or what? Second UT and UCLA >> Vandy

Sorry but its a fact. They are better schools and UCLA places well into a huge market while Texas has a fairly stable economy (relatively speaking)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 pm

jt1341 wrote:
CCN
MVPBDN
V
C
G

Sorry but its a fact. They are better schools and UCLA places well into a huge market while Texas has a fairly stable economy (relatively speaking)

Texas might be doing relatively well ITE, but UCLA OCI has fallen off a cliff along with the CA economy to about 20-25% of the class, according to the legal employment forum.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
CCN
MVPBDN
V
C
G

Texas might be doing relatively well ITE, but UCLA OCI has fallen off a cliff along with the CA economy to about 20-25% of the class, according to the legal employment forum.

But Vandy is doing much better? I mean i think your crazy for even putting Duke and NU with MVP, i dont think they belong in that catagory. But CG>UT/UCLA>>Vandy

Its just how it goes, Vandy will never pass any of these schools in the rankings, nor do they deserve too

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:37 pm

jt1341 wrote:But Vandy is doing much better? I mean i think your crazy for even putting Duke and NU with MVP, i dont think they belong in that catagory. But CG>UT/UCLA>>Vandy

Its just how it goes, Vandy will never pass any of these schools in the rankings, nor do they deserve too

Foe'd for being insufferable.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

jt1341 wrote:But Vandy is doing much better? I mean i think your crazy for even putting Duke and NU with MVP, i dont think they belong in that catagory. But CG>UT/UCLA>>Vandy

Vandy is doing better with their smaller class size and more national placement. And Duke/NU are right up there with MVP in terms of biglaw placement (if anything NU is performing better due to WE and IP).

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:43 pm

bk1 wrote:

Foe'd?

Nvm i see the friend/foe thing. Didnt know anyone uses that. Anyone wanna tell me what that does exactly?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:46 pm

im_blue wrote:

Vandy is doing better with their smaller class size and more national placement. And Duke/NU are right up there with MVP in terms of biglaw placement (if anything NU is performing better due to WE and IP).

Yea correct that NU is doing amazing because of WE, i just have been hearing so many negative things about Duke (i dont know why i was considering that school).

Is Vandy doing better then Georgetown, Cornell, UT, UCLA by %? specifically a higher % of their class is gaining big law jobs then the others?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:52 pm

jt1341 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Yea correct that NU is doing amazing because of WE, i just have been hearing so many negative things about Duke (i dont know why i was considering that school).

Is Vandy doing better then Georgetown, Cornell, UT, UCLA by %? specifically a higher % of their class is gaining big law jobs then the others?

Significantly better for the class of 2009.
NLJ250: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf
Clerkships: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... news-.html

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:55 pm

bk1 wrote:

+1. Not sure where this dude is getting any of his data.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:12 pm

beachbum wrote:
bk1 wrote:

+1. Not sure where this dude is getting any of his data.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:15 pm

rad law wrote:Want the southern firms? Want ATL? Don't go to Cornell over Vandy. And if you get money, I'd take it over Georgetown, too.

In fairness, this depends on how you're defining the south. I'd argue that most of the larger cities even in the south (excepting Nashville) will be more excited about a Cornell student than a Vanderbilt student. But I certainly agree that if we're focusing exclusively on southern markets, than the discrepancy between the two is smaller and taking Vanderbilt with money is definitely sensible.

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Vandy's numbers look like they're very close to T-14 level with numbers.... Don't most of the guys there stay down in Tennessee though? They probably could get a variety of good jobs in Nashville and Memphis!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:24 pm

dcman06 wrote:Vandy's numbers look like they're very close to T-14 level with numbers.... Don't most of the guys there stay down in Tennessee though? They probably could get a variety of good jobs in Nashville and Memphis!

Vandy's numbers have improved substantially in recent years. This is due largely to the fact that they throw around lots of money to boost their numbers. T-14s generally don't throw around the same kind of money. For this reason, the gap between lower T14 and T15-20 is narrowing (since people who'd normally take T14 are being swayed by money at T15-20). The fact of the matter, though, is that these T15-20 schools don't have the same scholarly impact on the legal market. They don't have the same quality of professors (in the aggregate). They're distinguishable from the T14 on various bases. But yes, many of their numbers are very competitive with T14 schools, Vandy especially.

And I'm not sure that their students really stay in Tennessee. And they're certainly not limited to Tennessee. If you can't get into T-14 and you're not interested in going to a strong school in the market of your interest, I think Vandy, UT, and UCLA are undoubtedly your next best bet. They're quasi-national and will still present you with opportunities in geographically diverse areas.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

dcman06 wrote:Vandy's numbers look like they're very close to T-14 level with numbers.... Don't most of the guys there stay down in Tennessee though? They probably could get a variety of good jobs in Nashville and Memphis!

How well do they do outside of Tennessee?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:26 pm

im_blue wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Significantly better for the class of 2009.
NLJ250: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf
Clerkships: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... news-.html

This is impressive. Their class is so small. I cant believe UT/UCLA place so little into biglaw. Going to UT right now (undergrad) i hear people talking much more highly of the law school

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 pm

jt1341 wrote:
This is impressive. Their class is so small. I cant believe UT/UCLA place so little into biglaw. Going to UT right now (undergrad) i hear people talking much more highly of the law school

Isn't this the year that everything first started going to shit? I'd look at historic hiring practices to get a better idea of how schools place (not this one isolated (and likely unrepresentative) year). UT and UCLA are both good schools.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 pm

woeisme wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

Isn't this the year that everything first started going to shit? I'd look at historic hiring practices to get a better idea of how schools place (not this one isolated (and likely unrepresentative) year). UT and UCLA are both good schools.

I think the year before is when it started going downhill, but you may be correct. I agree they are good schools (so is Vandy) i just dont know if a agree with some who are basically arguing that it should be a T14

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 pm

jt1341 wrote:
woeisme wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

I think the year before is when it started going downhill, but you may be correct. I agree they are good schools (so is Vandy) i just dont know if a agree with some who are basically arguing that it should be a T14

I think people are arguing that the T14 distinction is less meaningful now than it once was, and that Vandy, G, and C are peer schools- both of which seem pretty reasonable to me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:42 pm

woeisme wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

I wouldn't count on historic ones being that great. The CA economy being shitty will surely have a large impact on UCLA that you're not going to see in older data.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:50 pm

based on this: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

Virginia does better then Michigan, Penn, NYU and almost as good as Chicago. Is this because NYU and Chicago place better into clerkship? Im curious about these statistics. Is UVA that good at placing into BigLaw or is this the same as these schools being higher then Yale and Harvard (because the students pick to go to other areas)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm

jt1341 wrote:
rad law wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Cornell objectively>Vandy is the most hillariously incorrect thing ever written on TLS. Dollar for dollar I would choose Vandy over Cornell and Georgetown without even a second thought.

Cornell i might agree, but definitely not georgetown

I would in a heartbeat. For one reason definitely helps to have a 200 person class in this economy vs. almost 600.

That means only 20 people are top 10% as compared to 60. I would rather have the MUCH better name and the extra room to be in the top _%

That's not the point. The point is it's way easier to place 200 kids than 600. Firms only want to hire to many grads from one school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm

A bunch of people stay, a decent amount of them from TN. Nashville and Memphis don't have big markets, and Nashville is actually really competitive.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:30 pm

jt1341 wrote:
woeisme wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

Not arguing it should be a T14, just that the distinction isn't as meaningful as it once was. You're missing the point.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 pm

jt1341 wrote:

How well do they do outside of Tennessee?

Very well. Plurality of '10 grads actually took the NY bar if I recall correctly. It seems that people from Vandy in general do well going back to wherever they're from.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”