What salary are you looking for

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:50 pm

What's with this everyone trouts around showing off their money but not willing to say it out loud? All tax cheats?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Renzo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:What's with this everyone trouts around showing off their money but not willing to say it out loud? All tax cheats?

"trouts around showing off their money?"
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby beach_terror » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:41 pm

a job

a job

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Renzo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:What's with this everyone trouts around showing off their money but not willing to say it out loud? All tax cheats?

"trouts around showing off their money?"
--ImageRemoved--


That's pretty funny. If I had one of them money clips!

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2398
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby nealric » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:43 pm

$1M per month in Gold bullion delivered to my door in a wheelbarrow by an opera singer who announces its arrival by song. Plus a clown named Jim to entertain me.

bmontminy
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby bmontminy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 am

A: Not even gonna venture until grades

B: 300K+ (although same goes for grades, I do hope to make it to this point in my career)

also...It only seems fair that if OP is asking us what we expect, and sense he is protected by interwebz anonymity, he tell us his family's firm numbers...I for one am curious at least.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:07 am

Hoping: $160k+bonus/$325k+bonus
Expecting: $125k/$300k
Can live with: $100k/$200k plus low CoL

I'm allowed to have expectations as low as half my current expectations as I'll graduate with no debt and 5 digit savings.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am

Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby 12262010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:35 am

NY TO 190?!

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:31 pm

booyakasha wrote:NY TO 190?!

+1

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Rand M. » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.


Bleak.

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Lokomani » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.



This is fact. I'm looking to have a job that I'm interested in after law school, and that's it.


http://www.minnpost.com/samglover/2009/ ... t_to_burst

http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/files ... ummary.pdf

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.


Booooo!

But you are right this is the realistic option many people would get. Although I don't think you need T6 to have a chance to avoid this.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.


Booooo!

But you are right this is the realistic option many people would get. Although I don't think you need T6 to have a chance to avoid this.


I mean, statistically at Penn I should have a 65% chance of 100k+ but still, I'm not "expecting" it. More like HOAPING for it.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.


Booooo!

But you are right this is the realistic option many people would get. Although I don't think you need T6 to have a chance to avoid this.


It all depends on the market and how much better (or worse) the economy is several years down the road.

Also remember that your legal career is what you make of it. If you stay as an associate, your salary has a relatively low ceiling. If you become partner, you could rake in seven figures from even mid-sized firms if you bring in the right business. You can also crash and burn and make nothing. Oh, the joy of risk/reward.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.


Booooo!

But you are right this is the realistic option many people would get. Although I don't think you need T6 to have a chance to avoid this.


I mean, statistically at Penn I should have a 65% chance of 100k+ but still, I'm not "expecting" it. More like HOAPING for it.


Well I expect it! dammit

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Everyone ITT unless at HYSCCN or already with a firm job should have expectations of 50k with 125k mid career.


Booooo!

But you are right this is the realistic option many people would get. Although I don't think you need T6 to have a chance to avoid this.


I mean, statistically at Penn I should have a 65% chance of 100k+ but still, I'm not "expecting" it. More like HOAPING for it.


Well I expect it! dammit


As long as your dad is a V100 partner, I know that your dreamz will come TRUE!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
As long as your dad is a V100 partner, I know that your dreamz will come TRUE!


I plan to enslave all you other unfortunate non-T6 grads, so I should be ok.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
As long as your dad is a V100 partner, I know that your dreamz will come TRUE!


I plan to enslave all you other unfortunate non-T6 grads, so I should be ok.


So you're going to give us all BIGLAW jobs?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
As long as your dad is a V100 partner, I know that your dreamz will come TRUE!


I plan to enslave all you other unfortunate non-T6 grads, so I should be ok.


So you're going to give us all BIGLAW jobs?

I can't decide if I got a BIGLAW job or not. Does BIGLAW mean OMFGBigBuck$, does it mean prestige (i.e., Vault rankings), or is it a function of the firm's size?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
As long as your dad is a V100 partner, I know that your dreamz will come TRUE!


I plan to enslave all you other unfortunate non-T6 grads, so I should be ok.


So you're going to give us all BIGLAW jobs?

I can't decide if I got a BIGLAW job or not. Does BIGLAW mean OMFGBigBuck$, does it mean prestige (i.e., Vault rankings), or is it a function of the firm's size?


Depends on the market I'd say. In general, when you go to a club:

a) Do you order bottle service?
b) Do you have modelz on your arm?

If so... you're not in biglaw because you had time to go to a club. But if you COULD do these things if only you could get out of the office then... BIGLAW!

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Veyron wrote:Depends on the market I'd say. In general, when you go to a club:

a) Do you order bottle service?
b) Do you have modelz on your arm?

If so... you're not in biglaw because you had time to go to a club. But if you COULD do these things if only you could get out of the office then... BIGLAW!

Damn, looks like I'm BIGLAW. Sweet?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
As long as your dad is a V100 partner, I know that your dreamz will come TRUE!


I plan to enslave all you other unfortunate non-T6 grads, so I should be ok.


So you're going to give us all BIGLAW jobs?


No I am going to give you guys $40k to start with possibility to get up to $101k. That way I can meet my own expectations.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Veyron wrote:Depends on the market I'd say. In general, when you go to a club:

a) Do you order bottle service?
b) Do you have modelz on your arm?

If so... you're not in biglaw because you had time to go to a club. But if you COULD do these things if only you could get out of the office then... BIGLAW!


I did that without a college degree, this is a not a good indication.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:Depends on the market I'd say. In general, when you go to a club:

a) Do you order bottle service?
b) Do you have modelz on your arm?

If so... you're not in biglaw because you had time to go to a club. But if you COULD do these things if only you could get out of the office then... BIGLAW!


I did that without a college degree, this is a not a good indication.


Exam hypo: Isn't P just proving Veyron's point here? Can you see why?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests