What salary are you looking for

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dood

Re: What salary are you looking for

Postby dood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:12 pm

The expectations in this thread make me LOL. Seems like people from T-14 are expecting biglaw and people from state schools are expecting midlaw. I has feeling some people about to be pwnd.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:17 pm

1) 130+
2) Numerical figure is irrelevant. My wants are simple: small ranch in Texas, rural cabin in Montana, and yearly hunting trips in Africa. Whatever income that requires...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Veyron wrote:The expectations in this thread make me LOL. Seems like people from T-14 are expecting biglaw and people from state schools are expecting midlaw. I has feeling some people about to be pwnd.

You can say this anywhere on earth about any sub group of people...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:18 pm

AP-375 wrote:1) 130+
2) Numerical figure is irrelevant. My wants are simple: small ranch in Texas, rural cabin in Montana, and yearly hunting trips in Africa. Whatever income that requires...

I don't think 130 is going to cut it unless you stay single forever.

PatrickBateman

Postby PatrickBateman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:24 pm

1)Enough money to have swiss and cayman bankers kiss my ass
2)total world domination

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

PatrickBateman wrote:2)total world domination

I see a theme developing...

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:

As long as I start above 100 or so, I'll be able to work up from there.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:The expectations in this thread make me LOL. Seems like people from T-14 are expecting biglaw and people from state schools are expecting midlaw. I has feeling some people about to be pwnd.

Ok, I has the feeling that lots of people ITT about to get pwnd.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Ok, I has the feeling that lots of people ITT about to get pwnd.

The only you can always afford to do is to dream. But you are probably right.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 pm

AP-375 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

When would you ever enjoy your ranch, cabin in different state, and your trips if you are working as an associate?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

When would you ever enjoy your ranch, cabin in different state, and your trips if you are working as an associate?

#1 is a beginning point, #2 is an endpoint. Whatever it takes to get from 1 to 2. And if I do get to #2, I'll definitely make sure I have the opportunity to enjoy it. Otherwise, this is all very pointless.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:18 pm

80-100k

Yeah it's likely that most people in this thread will miss the mark, but you gotta swing the bat to hit a home run. Keep in mind that the economy won't stay bad forever.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:29 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

What are your expectations, Veyron? To wow OCI with your arrogance? No amount of school prestige or class rank can make up for a shit personality.

You may not be wrong, but you're still an asshole.

As for my own expectations:

125-160k --> 500k+

My approach will be to go into OCI with the knowledge that it isn't the end-all-to-be-all but rather one way of getting a job. I've also been working every friend, family, and work connection I've got to try to find a legal job. As long as I can get a job in the legal sector at 70K + (hardly a sure bet), I'll be pretty happy as long as the work is interesting.

Why do you think I'd be arrogant in OCI? The attorneys on the other side of the table are doing a job I aspire to do. They've already proven themselves and that makes them worthy of respect and deference. I'm only arrogant when I have to deal with either idiots on the internet or my friends and family (who just slap me in the back of the head or punch me in the kidneys when I'm a jackass).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Veyron wrote:My approach will be to go into OCI with the knowledge that it isn't the end-all-to-be-all but rather one way of getting a job. I've also been working every friend, family, and work connection I've got to try to find a legal job. As long as I can get a job in the legal sector at 70K + (hardly a sure bet), I'll be pretty happy as long as the work is interesting.

Why do you think I'd be arrogant in OCI? The attorneys on the other side of the table are doing a job I aspire to do. They've already proven themselves and that makes them worthy of respect and deference. I'm only arrogant when I have to deal with either idiots on the internet or my friends and family (who just slap me in the back of the head or punch me in the kidneys when I'm a jackass).

Is there much of legal sector in Philly? What do the top firms pay? Are there mid level possibilities? I know PI sector law pays less than $50 so it's probably out for you.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Veyron wrote:Why do you think I'd be arrogant in OCI? The attorneys on the other side of the table are doing a job I aspire to do. They've already proven themselves and that makes them worthy of respect and deference. I'm only arrogant when I have to deal with either idiots on the internet or my friends and family (who just slap me in the back of the head or punch me in the kidneys when I'm a jackass).

Fair enough, internet personalities do not always equal real-life personas.

But when you gloat about the low possibility of non-HYS and state school students getting the jobs of their dreams, you come across as a major douche.

It's one thing to point out people's misperceptions. It's another to bask in their failures.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:44 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Fair enough, internet personalities do not always equal real-life personas.

But when you gloat about the low possibility of non-HYS and state school students getting the jobs of their dreams, you come across as a major douche.

I doubt he cares how he comes off, it's a part of the persona. But he's speaking the truth though. Same thing happens to me when I tell 14YO that she may not be able to be a celebrity for a living. I come across as a douche.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:I doubt he cares how he comes off, it's a part of the persona. But he's speaking the truth though. Same thing happens to me when I tell 14YO that she may not be able to be a celebrity for a living. I come across as a douche.

Are you telling me I'm not going to be the next Snookie? :(

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:48 pm

bk1 wrote:Are you telling me I'm not going to be the next Snookie? :(

With a bottle of spraytan and a double-digit IQ, anything is possible

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:52 pm

[/quote]
Is there much of legal sector in Philly? What do the top firms pay? Are there mid level possibilities? I know PI sector law pays less than $50 so it's probably out for you.[/quote]

1) No
2) A one-few 160 most 145
3) Don't know much about Philly midlaw
4) Good PI jobs are just as hard to get as biglaw. LRAP makes the salaries quite competitive.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Veyron wrote:1) No
2) A one-few 160 most 145
3) Don't know much about Philly midlaw
4) Good PI jobs are just as hard to get as good biglaw. LRAP makes the salaries competitive.

Philly midlaw is doing just as poorly. Most firms are on hiring freezes.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Funny: This article out of the Law Journal fits in so nicely in this thread: --LinkRemoved--

As for my aspirations, the last time i dared to discuss my current salary as a practicing non-big law attorney in NY, as Jazzone witnessed, I was attacked for being a douche... Mostly because on TLS its only ok to say that you got an offer at a v10 (which means you've said your salary out loud because everyone knows that means you'll earn 160k as long as you dont fuck a partner's wife at a firm outing), but its not ok to say what you earn at a small or mid-sized firm without being called an asshole.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:23 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Funny: This article out of the Law Journal fits in so nicely in this thread: --LinkRemoved--

As for my aspirations, the last time i dared to discuss my current salary as a practicing non-big law attorney in NY, as Jazzone witnessed, I was attacked for being a douche... Mostly because on TLS its only ok to say that you got an offer at a v10 (which means you've said your salary out loud because everyone knows that means you'll earn 160k as long as you dont fuck a partner's wife at a firm outing), but its not ok to say what you earn at a small or mid-sized firm without being called an asshole.

quit being a douche and tell us your salary

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Borhas wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Funny: This article out of the Law Journal fits in so nicely in this thread: --LinkRemoved--

quit being a douche and tell us your salary

Well played sir. Well played.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”