UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anstud06
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 pm

UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby anstud06 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 pm

My goal is Goldman Sachs. I think my LSAT and GPA give me a strong chance at all law schools not YS. However, if applying solely to MBA, I don't think I'm a given for the absolute top business schools. Therefore, I was wondering if a JD/MBA from UVA would merit the same consideration from Goldman that a Harvard (or Wharton or Stanford) MBA would.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:24 pm

anstud06 wrote:My goal is Goldman Sachs. I think my LSAT and GPA give me a strong chance at all law schools not YS. However, if applying solely to MBA, I don't think I'm a given for the absolute top business schools. Therefore, I was wondering if a JD/MBA from UVA would merit the same consideration from Goldman that a Harvard (or Wharton or Stanford) MBA would.


What is your MBA application lacking? WE, quant, leadership?? What do you want to do at Goldman? Does it involve law at all?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:25 pm

Also, did you mean UVA JD/MBA vs Harvard JD? If you can get into Harvard MBA but not Harvard Law then you should definitely do that.

anstud06
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby anstud06 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:35 pm

No, I think I could get into Harvard law, but not Harvard MBA. I just enjoyed college and got a good GPA, so the name of my undergrad and GPA was enough to get me a lucrative job after graduating, but not in one of those glamour firms like Goldman or McKinsey.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:45 pm

anstud06 wrote:No, I think I could get into Harvard law, but not Harvard MBA. I just enjoyed college and got a good GPA, so the name of my undergrad and GPA was enough to get me a lucrative job after graduating, but not in one of those glamour firms like Goldman or McKinsey.


Ok, sounds like you have zero WE. If you want to work at Goldman you are going to need to show you're capable. Part of that would be attending a top-tier institution like Harvard Law, but you will also have to demonstrate that you can handle the quantitative elements of a job in banking. If your undgrad GPA is good enough for Harvard Law and you majored in engineering, math, statistics, econ/business or a hard science you are probably best off going to Harvard. If your major was english, poli-sci, or some other liberal arts major then you will need to beef up your quantitative credentials. I would suggest the UVA JD/MBA in the latter situation, but you will need to do very very well at UVA to land a job at Goldman without WE.

anstud06
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby anstud06 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm taking two things away from your information. Tell me if I'm wrong.

1) Goldman recruits at Harvard Law and getting a JD alone from Harvard Law is enough to land a gig at Goldman (with enough of an analytical major).
2) Not having WE in investment banking, private equity is something that must be surmounted.

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby 1Levening2013 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 pm

anstud06 wrote:No, I think I could get into Harvard law, but not Harvard MBA. I just enjoyed college and got a good GPA, so the name of my undergrad and GPA was enough to get me a lucrative job after graduating, but not in one of those glamour firms like Goldman or McKinsey.


first, so why didnt you take one of these lucrative jobs, and work your way up from there, or possibly lateral over to goldman after 2yrs or so? i just think if you had the ability to get a lucrative job, and you are now trying to backdoor it into goldman via law school, then you haven't really thought this through all too well.

and secondly, what do you want? banking or consulting? or do you not really know

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 pm

anstud06 wrote:Thanks for the insight. I'm taking two things away from your information. Tell me if I'm wrong.

1) Goldman recruits at Harvard Law and getting a JD alone from Harvard Law is enough to land a gig at Goldman (with enough of an analytical major).
2) Not having WE in investment banking, private equity is something that must be surmounted.


If you want Goldman Sachs, you need to go work in banking, do a damn good job, and either lateral or then get into a top MBA program. The way you are going about this is likely to leave you very dissappointed.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:29 pm

anstud06 wrote:Thanks for the insight. I'm taking two things away from your information. Tell me if I'm wrong.

1) Goldman recruits at Harvard Law and getting a JD alone from Harvard Law is enough to land a gig at Goldman (with enough of an analytical major).
2) Not having WE in investment banking, private equity is something that must be surmounted.


1) I don't know about Goldman's recruiting efforts at Harvard, you should ask someone at Harvard Law about that.
2) Yes, you will have to overcome the fact that you did not work after school.

1Levening2013 wrote:If you want Goldman Sachs, you need to go work in banking, do a damn good job, and either lateral or then get into a top MBA program. The way you are going about this is likely to leave you very dissappointed.


I agree that this is probably the case. You are likely to spend 3 years in law school for an outside shot at Goldman. If you get a job at another BB bank or get an early associate promotion at a non-BB bank you will be in a much better position in 3 years to work at Goldman then you will be if you go to law school.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby 005618502 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Am i the only one confused by what OP is asking? is he saying JD/MBA from UVA or Harvard MBA? JD? what! I feel like he is making no sense

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:04 pm

anstud06 wrote:No, I think I could get into Harvard law, but not Harvard MBA. I just enjoyed college and got a good GPA, so the name of my undergrad and GPA was enough to get me a lucrative job after graduating, but not in one of those glamour firms like Goldman or McKinsey.

If you could seriously get into Harvard Law, McKinsey (and other consulting firms) recruit here, and don't require an MBA.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UVA JD/MBA v. Harvard MBA

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:06 pm

jt1341 wrote:Am i the only one confused by what OP is asking? is he saying JD/MBA from UVA or Harvard MBA? JD? what! I feel like he is making no sense


I think what the OP is really asking is UVa JD/MBA vs Harvard JD for Goldman Sachs. The correct response is:

patriot1208 wrote:If you want Goldman Sachs, you need to go work in banking, do a damn good job, and either lateral or then get into a top MBA program.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], proteinshake and 5 guests