Best School for Working in the DC Area

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sam Seaborn

Best School for Working in the DC Area

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:00 pm

My numbers (3.8, 172) seem to be just short of HYS, especially considering my softs are below average and I'm applying straight out of UG. I want to practice in DC, so what schools place the best there besides Georgetttown?

Bumi

Re: Best School for Working in the DC Area

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:04 pm

In before "the best school for working in the DC area is Yale."

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Ya, I'm looking for schools below HYS, sorry if my post wasn't clear about that. I won't get into HYS, or else I wouldn't have posted the question.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:13 pm

I know a guy who went to UCLA and now works in DC. But with your numbers I suggest EDing NOW! and FAST! lol jk nearly ruined your life....

Anyways I'll say Columbia. Or try to get money from Virgina etc..

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:My numbers (3.8, 172) seem to be just short of HYS, especially considering my softs are below average and I'm applying straight out of UG. I want to practice in DC, so what schools place the best there besides Georgetttown?

IMO, Columbia>Chicago>Virginia>Georgetown>rest

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Definitely going to blanket CCN on down to Georgetown, I was just looking to see if any of those schools placed better for the DC market than others. For example, I know UMich has a strong alumni base in DC, but would it place better than NYU because NYU's home market is NYC? Or would UVA place better than Berkley because it is closer?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:Definitely going to blanket CCN on down to Georgetown, I was just looking to see if any of those schools placed better for the DC market than others. For example, I know UMich has a strong alumni base in DC, but would it place better than NYU because NYU's home market is NYC? Or would UVA place better than Berkley because it is closer?

UVA is known for DC. When they're that close, everything is a wash though. That said, notice who is not on here: --LinkRemoved--

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Bumi wrote:In before "the best school for working in the DC area is Yale."

Damn it.

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Sam Seaborn wrote:My numbers (3.8, 172) seem to be just short of HYS, especially considering my softs are below average and I'm applying straight out of UG. I want to practice in DC, so what schools place the best there besides Georgetttown?

IMO, Columbia>Chicago>Virginia>Georgetown>rest

Thanks. Also, I have dreams of a federal clerkship, would this change the game at all?

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Sam Seaborn wrote:Definitely going to blanket CCN on down to Georgetown, I was just looking to see if any of those schools placed better for the DC market than others. For example, I know UMich has a strong alumni base in DC, but would it place better than NYU because NYU's home market is NYC? Or would UVA place better than Berkley because it is closer?

UVA is known for DC. When they're that close, everything is a wash though. That said, notice who is not on here: --LinkRemoved--

W&C seems like a pipe dream anyway. I'd do some very bad things to land an SA there.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:Thanks. Also, I have dreams of a federal clerkship, would this change the game at all?

If you get one, who cares what school you went to? You can write your own ticket. Damn hard though. Read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Ya, I was just wondering if certain schools placed better in DC, while certain other schools placed more Article III clerks, and whether those lists of schools were mutually exclusive. Seems like they wouldn't be though, looks like I need to do some serious research.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:Ya, I was just wondering if certain schools placed better in DC, while certain other schools placed more Article III clerks, and whether those lists of schools were mutually exclusive. Seems like they wouldn't be though, looks like I need to do some serious research.

Yeah, surprisingly, intellectually qualified people seem to impress both judges AND employers.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 pm

You should get into Columbia and/or Chicago.

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Should ED be an option anywhere? Or should I just see where I get in and what kind of money I (hopefully) get, and go from there? I basically just want to know if there is any T6-T14 school the outplaces its peers in DC that I should be gunning for, regardless of scholarship or lay prestige.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:Ya, I was just wondering if certain schools placed better in DC, while certain other schools placed more Article III clerks, and whether those lists of schools were mutually exclusive. Seems like they wouldn't be though, looks like I need to do some serious research.

No you don't need to do any research. The US News rankings suffice, with marginal bumps to UVA and GULC.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 pm

im_blue wrote:You should get into Columbia and/or Chicago.

better chance than not of WL at CLS.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Columbia or NYU. The differences amongst the non-HYS schools for DC prestige is less than the differences amongst them for OCI logistics. All the top DC firms will be at CCN, but at NYU and CLS the top students will be gunning for NY. At UVA/GULC all of law review guns for DC.

It's hard to describe this to people who haven't been through OCI. Whether a school is regarded more or less highly is less important than the ratio of inteview slots/interview bids. Even if Georgetown has a huge alumni base in DC, or UVA is highly regarded there, if you're competing with all the heavy jitters in your class for the same jobs, your odds go down.
Last edited by rayiner on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Anyone know my chances of $$ at Georgetown? It seems like if they give me a substantial scholarship then it would be tough to turn that down.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:Definitely going to blanket CCN on down to Georgetown, I was just looking to see if any of those schools placed better for the DC market than others.

I don't think you need to talk about other issues at all at this point, since you will be applying to all of them anyway. Just wait until the decisions come out and negotiate scholarship.

Edit: btw, didn't sam seaborn in the west wing go to Duke? maybe that's a hint :mrgreen:

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:59 am

Sam Seaborn wrote:Anyone know my chances of $$ at Georgetown? It seems like if they give me a substantial scholarship then it would be tough to turn that down.

This is what i pulled from LSN applicants last year who had similar or slightly lower numbers and reported getting $$ from G'town:

171, 3.8 - 36k (10/2/09)
170, 3.8 - 60k (12/16/09)
173, 3.8 - 45k (12/3/09*)
173, 3.79 - 60k (11/30/09*)
171, 3.79 - 96k (2/19/10; this person was WL then accepted)
172, 3.78 - 45k (12/14/09*)
171, 3.77 - 120k (1/15/10; WL then accepted)
171, 3.76 - 30k (1/11/10)
171, 3.75 - 37.5k (12/18/09)
171, 3.75 - 45k (12/7/09*)
172, 3.72 - 75k (1/28/10)

*Most of these dates are from the "application complete" column, but a few of the super early applicants didn't have that date so I included the date they received a decision.

Looks like you have a decent chance at money - if you apply NOW.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:09 pm

rayiner wrote:Columbia or NYU. The differences amongst the non-HYS schools for DC prestige is less than the differences amongst them for OCI logistics. All the top DC firms will be at CCN, but at NYU and CLS the top students will be gunning for NY. At UVA/GULC all of law review guns for DC.

It's hard to describe this to people who haven't been through OCI. Whether a school is regarded more or less highly is less important than the ratio of inteview slots/interview bids. Even if Georgetown has a huge alumni base in DC, or UVA is highly regarded there, if you're competing with all the heavy jitters in your class for the same jobs, your odds go down.

Apparently not.

http://www.wc.com/careers-summer-schedule.html
http://www.wc.com/attorneys-search.html ... ton=Search

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:11 pm

rayiner wrote:Columbia or NYU. The differences amongst the non-HYS schools for DC prestige is less than the differences amongst them for OCI logistics. All the top DC firms will be at CCN, but at NYU and CLS the top students will be gunning for NY. At UVA/GULC all of law review guns for DC.

not necessarily

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:20 pm

JG Hall wrote:

not necessarily

Not entirely of course, but mostly. People go to school with some idea of the market they want to work in. The majority of law review at CLS/NYU will be aiming for NYC. The majority of law review at UVA/GULC will be aiming for DC.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
Sam Seaborn wrote:Definitely going to blanket CCN on down to Georgetown, I was just looking to see if any of those schools placed better for the DC market than others.

I don't think you need to talk about other issues at all at this point, since you will be applying to all of them anyway. Just wait until the decisions come out and negotiate scholarship.

Edit: btw, didn't sam seaborn in the west wing go to Duke? maybe that's a hint :mrgreen:

Duke does awesome in DC. If I were choosing between DCGN I would definitely pick Duke for DC. I'd probably pick Duke out of that group period from what I've seen of the placement stats.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”