Looking to do a joint Canada/US JD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
serdog

Looking to do a joint Canada/US JD

Postby serdog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi there I would like some advice on US Laws that have joint programs with Canadian schools. The following schools are options New York University School of Law,University of Colorado School of Law,Michigan State University College of Law,American University, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law and Hawaii. At this point my I am favouring the Hawaii program because in an Aboriginal Law focus(which along with business and Securities is what I intend to practice) however I would like some advice. I know very little about America schoosl other then stay away from Tomas Cooley, so any pointers would be great

bk1

Re: Looking to do a joint Canada/US JD

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Numbers?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:33 pm

serdog wrote:Hi there I would like some advice on US Laws that have joint programs with Canadian schools. The following schools are options New York University School of Law,University of Colorado School of Law,Michigan State University College of Law,American University, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law and Hawaii. At this point my I am favouring the Hawaii program because in an Aboriginal Law focus(which along with business and Securities is what I intend to practice) however I would like some advice. I know very little about America schoosl other then stay away from Tomas Cooley, so any pointers would be great

Want to work in America or Almost America?

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Veyron wrote:

Plan on working in Yukon and Alaska and would like to be a member of the State bar.
number GPA 3.33
LSAT 155 I may qualify as URM (Canadian First Nation)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:40 pm

How was your GPA calculated ? If done by a Canadian Law School, it may be very different for US law school LSAC calculations.
Based on your interests, the Univ. of Colorado may be your best bet due to location & Native American law courses.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Retake the LSAT.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:44 pm

serdog wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Plan on working in Yukon and Alaska and would like to be a member of the State bar.
number GPA 3.33

New York University School of Law - Would be a good option but you will never, in 1000000 years, be admitted with your #'s

As for your other options - those schools are no good.

My one crevat is that Hawaii may be a good idea. Their native law program is indeed good. The school won't get you a job so make sure you already have one lined up beforehand.

If you had slightly better numbers I would reccomend Duke since they put out the Alaska Law Review (yes, for real, I was supprised when I learned this as well). If you can score in the 160's on a retake, worth a shot.

As it is, perhaps your best bet is to see if a school in the PNW like Lewis and Clark or U of W will take you. Those would probably have the best "ties" out of any schools to the area you want to practice in. Don't know if you would qualify for candida with them tho.

You are very fortunate in that super rural areas are undersupplied with lawyers. Still, this will probably be a bad investment for you no matter what.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:47 pm

The University of Colorado is an excellent law school. It's a Tier One law school ranked at #38 by USNews along with Alabama, Wake Forest & Arizona State. For one wishing to practice indigenous law in the Yukon & Alaska, it is a great choice.

P.S. Detroit Mercy is not a well regarded law school in the US, but it does the most joint US-Canada law degrees primarily because of its location & need for a specialized law school market.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The University of Colorado is an excellent law school. It's a Tier One law school ranked at #38 by USNews along with Alabama, Wake Forest & Arizona State. For one wishing to practice indigenous law in the Yukon & Alaska, it is a great choice.

Arizona State does indeed have an excellent indigenous law program. Came back here to reccomend it. Don't think you can do a joint degree there tho.

#38 by USNews might as well be number 1000000 once you move outside of Colorado/the Mountain West. US legal market is super-competitive.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:53 pm

The OP wants to work in the Yukon & Alaska.

Kafka

Postby Kafka » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Veyron wrote:
serdog wrote:
Veyron wrote:

number GPA 3.33

New York University School of Law - Would be a good option but you will never, in 1000000 years, be admitted with your #'s

As for your other options - those schools are no good.

My one crevat is that Hawaii may be a good idea. Their native law program is indeed good. The school won't get you a job so make sure you already have one lined up beforehand.

If you had slightly better numbers I would reccomend Duke since they put out the Alaska Law Review (yes, for real, I was supprised when I learned this as well). If you can score in the 160's on a retake, worth a shot.

As it is, perhaps your best bet is to see if a school in the PNW like Lewis and Clark or U of W will take you. Those would probably have the best "ties" out of any schools to the area you want to practice in. Don't know if you would qualify for with them tho.

You are very fortunate in that super rural areas are undersupplied with lawyers. Still, this will probably be a bad investment for you no matter what.

Hey Veybro. Quick Q: English second language or just a long day?

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Mashi Cho(Big thank you)

Duke looks good however I do what to get both (Nation accreditation in Canada is a pain). I will look more at Colorado too. I think Mercy is out (Windsor is poor regarded in Canada compare with UBC or Alberta) also in terms of Hawaii, the contaction with UBC is nice since Yukon legislation often drafted from that of BC , also UBC is well regard for Aboriginal law
Last edited by serdog on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey Veybro. Quick Q: English second language or just a long day?

You got it bro, law school from 9AM - 2:30 AM all day every weekday (with occasional TLS breaks of course).

Kafka

Postby Kafka » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Last edited by Kafka on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:17 am

reading makes me happy to be in Canada(we don't have any super school[Ok U ofT] but to bottom feeder either)

double check at the NYU option is a 3.5 year JD from Osgoode and LLM from NYU so admittance is related to preformace in your first two years at Osgoode m so that may be an option still I think Hawaii/UBC is my first top pick

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:52 am

serdog wrote:reading makes me happy to be in Canada(we don't have any super school[Ok U ofT] but to bottom feeder either)

double check at the NYU option is a 3.5 year JD from Osgoode and LLM from NYU so admittance is related to preformace in your first two years at Osgoode m so that may be an option still I think Hawaii/UBC is my first top pick

Oh, yah. Thought you were talking about the NYU JD joint program, my bad.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:53 pm

serdog wrote:Hi there I would like some advice on US Laws that have joint programs with Canadian schools. The following schools are options New York University School of Law,University of Colorado School of Law,Michigan State University College of Law,American University, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law and Hawaii. At this point my I am favouring the Hawaii program because in an Aboriginal Law focus(which along with business and Securities is what I intend to practice) however I would like some advice. I know very little about America schoosl other then stay away from Tomas Cooley, so any pointers would be great

I donno how you will practice business and securities law up in alaska and the yukon territories.....

serdog

Postby serdog » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:05 am

thexfactor wrote:I donno how you will practice business and securities law up in alaska and the yukon territories.....

The Self-governing First Nation(they like hiring FN lawyers) have a multi-tens of million Business sector, lots of it cross boarder thus the interest in the Alaskan Bar not to mention pipelines and the like are coming. I recognize it unlikely that I would be big business but even small business need there lawyers. There are a number of mining companies that go public every year also most Impact benefit agreement have a securities component . A lawyer friend of mine recommend that these would be growth over the years to come as well so well I don't think I will get super rich I will be reasonably well off.

serdog

Postby serdog » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:34 pm

One more quick question. Other then Time would there be a major different in doing a US LLM after my Canadian JD/LLB rather then going for a a dual JD? My top pick (UVIC) does not ofter a joint degree (but does ofter exchange with Arizona State to help with education on aboriginal law in the US)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”