Any kid friendly law school towns?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
quakeroats

Re: Any kid friendly law school towns?

Postby quakeroats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

AP-375 wrote:
aheisman wrote:I think the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area around Duke would be good for finding less expensive housing for your family than many of the other to 14 schools.

How does this area fit in with the family friendliness discussion. I hear mixed things on Durham.

1. You don't have to live in Durham (Chapel Hill and Cary are just a few minutes away).
2. What you've heard springs mostly from racism/a distaste for the south that Charlottesville somehow escapes.

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 pm

quakeroats wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
aheisman wrote:I think the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area around Duke would be good for finding less expensive housing for your family than many of the other to 14 schools.

How does this area fit in with the family friendliness discussion. I hear mixed things on Durham.

1. You don't have to live in Durham (Chapel Hill and Cary are just a few minutes away).
2. What you've heard springs mostly from racism/a distaste for the south that Charlottesville somehow escapes.

Or Durham really is a ghetto. The area around campus is a dump, but there are nice places to live if you are willing to commute.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:20 pm

aheisman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
AP-375 wrote:

Or Durham really is a ghetto. The area around campus is a dump, but there are nice places to live if you are willing to commute.

This is nonsense that reduces to, "there sure are a lot of black people around." It's absolutely nothing like that.

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 pm

quakeroats wrote:This is nonsense that reduces to, "there sure are a lot of black people around." It's absolutely nothing like that.

ugh, not everything is about race. Truth is it is rundown and unsafe around campus. Housing is also dilapidated. If OP is willing to commute, there are really nice places to live farther away from campus.
Last edited by aheisman on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 pm

AP-375 wrote:

2009 FBI stats:

.............Population Violent crimes
Durham: 227,492 1,591
Charlottesville: 41,798 247

aheisman

Postby aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:26 pm

quakeroats wrote:
AP-375 wrote:

2009 FBI stats:

So at least we can both agree that Charlottesville sucks?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm

aheisman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:This is nonsense that reduces to, "there sure are a lot of black people around." It's absolutely nothing like that.

ugh, not everything is about race. Truth is it is rundown and unsafe around campus. If OP is willing to commute, there are really nice places to live further away from campus.

I didn't suggest everything was about race, only that this was. It's neither run down, nor unsafe around campus as the general rule you make it seem. There isn't even a campus, per se, we have several. Again, this reduces to either racism or a distaste for the south.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:39 pm

aheisman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
AP-375 wrote:

2009 FBI stats:

So at least we can both agree that Charlottesville sucks?

Sure, in the same way that San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, New Haven, Miami, D.C., and West Palm Beach all suck because they're more dangerous than Durham.

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 am

FAR262 wrote:Yeah, Ithaca is great for kids if you're alright with living a couple miles from campus or so.

Actually, a lot of families live in Fall Creek, which is a mile or less from the LS and on two or more bus lines. It takes me five minutes to drive to school and 20 minutes to walk. And it's cheaper and quieter than Collegetown.

mini777

Postby mini777 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:59 pm

mbw wrote:
FAR262 wrote:Yeah, Ithaca is great for kids if you're alright with living a couple miles from campus or so.

Actually, a lot of families live in Fall Creek, which is a mile or less from the LS and on two or more bus lines. It takes me five minutes to drive to school and 20 minutes to walk. And it's cheaper and quieter than Collegetown.

Fall Creek has a good elementary school also. I do not know about the bus lines because I drive every day. It is cheaper than Collegetown, but overall renting is more expensive than I thought it would.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Fall Creek is to Northeast Ithaca as Durham is to Chapel Hill. Just sayin'.

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 pm

KMaine wrote:Fall Creek is to Northeast Ithaca as Durham is to Chapel Hill. Just sayin'.

Jealous much? :P

I expect Mini agrees... (and I have to give props, so as to not endanger my daily ride...)

mini777

Postby mini777 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:17 pm

mbw wrote:
KMaine wrote:Fall Creek is to Northeast Ithaca as Durham is to Chapel Hill. Just sayin'.

I expect Mini agrees... (and I have to give props, so as to not endanger my daily ride...)

Yeah, I agree with whatever mbw says.

KMaine, I liked Northeast Ithaca when I drove there last week, but I like the fact that I can torture my kids by forcing them to walk to the Commons from where I live. I do not think I can do that from Northeast Ithaca.

mbw

Postby mbw » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:30 am

mini777 wrote:
mbw wrote:

Yeah, I agree with whatever mbw says.

KMaine, I liked Northeast Ithaca when I drove there last week, but I like the fact that I can torture my kids by forcing them to walk to the Commons from where I live. I do not think I can do that from Northeast Ithaca.

Not only to the Commons, but to the Children's Museum, the Farmers' Market, Stewart Park, Ithaca Falls, Gimme Coffee, my house, etc. In Northeast, the only attraction within walking distance is a backyard full of deer. :P

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 am

Things I would consider for family friendliness (in no particular order):

School Districts
Commute time
Job potential for spouse
Housing costs
Pressure for getting good grades

Someone mentioned how many other families. That wouldn't factor in for me for even a second. I went to a school where I could count on one hand the number of other students with kids. It was not a big deal at all (now my school had some boneheaded policies that made my life more difficult than it needed to be, but there were other schools I considered that had more student parents that had worse policies). Socially, I found it a nice break to seek people out because I had interests in common other than the fact they were parents. And I made other parent friends through the normal channels as well (kids' schools, neighbors, etc.).

The biggest one for me was which school would allow me the best work life balance. Scholarship/school rank can help a lot on the first cut. If you aren't laying it all on the line financially, where you need to be at the top of your class to survive your debt, it makes things much easier. On the second cut, commute time and spouse's career opportunities came into play. The longer the commute, the harder it is to engage in extra-curriculars and the more time you take away from your family. It can be easy to feel like you aren't doing either the student or spouse/parent role well.

Good luck in choosing!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:01 am

pohboydomer wrote:I think you're asking the wrong question...

I'm with this guy. More or less I think the average family can be happy in most towns if the surrounding variables are right. So you might look at schools where you'll find more peers...I'm headed to NU in the fall and from people I've talked to a decent sized minority are married/have kids. So call this a vote for Chi-town.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:53 am

homestyle28 wrote: More or less I think the average family can be happy in most towns if the surrounding variables are right.

The bolded is the important thing, and I think the crux of OP's question. COL, commute times, school districts, traffic, transportation options are all big factors. NU would not be on my list due to the commute/COL trade-off. However, it looks like you might only have an infant, which would open up more options for you. OP will have three children, one of whom is a school aged child, so that complicates the calculus quite a bit.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Good stuff everybody!

Commute time is a BIG deal for me. I can handle 25 minutes one way but any longer than that and I start banging my head on the steering wheel.

Also, I'm willing to take out as much money in student loans as it takes to keep my wife at home with the kids. After all that, if she still had to get a part time job to help make ends meet, I don't think we would consider daycare as an option and so I would try to multi-task doing my homework with watching the kids.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:58 pm

well-hello-there wrote:Good stuff everybody!

Commute time is a BIG deal for me. I can handle 25 minutes one way but any longer than that and I start banging my head on the steering wheel.

Also, I'm willing to take out as much money in student loans as it takes to keep my wife at home with the kids. After all that, if she still had to get a part time job to help make ends meet, I don't think we would consider daycare as an option and so I would try to multi-task doing my homework with watching the kids.

You'll get 8-11k back per semester after tuition is taken out and before you take any private loans (these probably aren't a good idea). If you can live on 16-22k for a household of 3+, you're a better man than I.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:12 pm

quakeroats wrote:

You'll get 8-11k back per semester after tuition is taken out and before you take any private loans (these probably aren't a good idea). If you can live on 16-22k for a household of 3+, you're a better man than I.

you get additional allowances per kid (at CLS it's 5k for the first, 4k for each subsequent child, but this is will be lower at a school outside of NY). However, health insurance (for the rest of the family) seems to be a pretty big expense not accounted for in student loan budgets.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:13 pm

JG Hall wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

you get additional allowances per kid (at CLS it's 5k for the first, 4k for each subsequent child, but this is will be lower at a school outside of NY). However, health insurance (for the rest of the family) seems to be a pretty big expense not accounted for in student loan budgets.

Is that 5k for the year or the semester?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:56 pm

I will disagree that a family can be happy anywhere. I would as soon have no "peers" if my family were happy -- no offense to mini or mbw. You have enough in common with your family-free peers. You don't need a shoulder to cry on about how hard it is being a law student with a family. Everybody has their stuff. I think there were very few towns/cities with decent law schools where my family would have been comfortable. That was #1 in my decision-making process.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:00 pm

quakeroats wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Is that 5k for the year or the semester?

per school year

mini777

Postby mini777 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:03 pm

KMaine wrote:I will disagree that a family can be happy anywhere. I would as soon have no "peers" if my family were happy -- no offense to mini or mbw. You have enough in common with your family-free peers. You don't need a shoulder to cry on about how hard it is being a law student with a family. Everybody has their stuff. I think there were very few towns/cities with decent law schools where my family would have been comfortable. That was #1 in my decision-making process.

I totally agree with KMaine and KMaine, no offense taken. When I was making my decision, I gave greatest weight to where my kids would be the happiest. I also took into account where I could give them most of my attention while I was at school. I chose Cornell because I knew that my kids would be happier in Ithaca than in LA and life would be easier as a parent. I did not bother looking into how many students would be in a similar situation.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 am

mini777 wrote:
KMaine wrote:I will disagree that a family can be happy anywhere. I would as soon have no "peers" if my family were happy -- no offense to mini or mbw. You have enough in common with your family-free peers. You don't need a shoulder to cry on about how hard it is being a law student with a family. Everybody has their stuff. I think there were very few towns/cities with decent law schools where my family would have been comfortable. That was #1 in my decision-making process.

I totally agree with KMaine and KMaine, no offense taken. When I was making my decision, I gave greatest weight to where my kids would be the happiest. I also took into account where I could give them most of my attention while I was at school. I chose Cornell because I knew that my kids would be happier in Ithaca than in LA and life would be easier as a parent. I did not bother looking into how many students would be in a similar situation.

In mid-January, when you haven't see the sun for a month and it's somewhere around 0 outside, ask your children if they'd be happier if it were 70 and sunny.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”