Any kid friendly law school towns? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
well-hello-there

Bronze

Any kid friendly law school towns?

Post by well-hello-there » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 pm

I have a family and kids and I want to go to a law school that will produce a good experience for them as well as myself.

Right now I am considering UVa, Michigan Ann Arbor, Cornell and UCLA. My LSAT is 168 and GPA is 3.7.

Which is the best and worst out of those schools and are there any other schools ranked close to the top 15 that would be a good choice?
Last edited by well-hello-there on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchRoark

Silver

Re: Any kid friendly law school towns?

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:05 pm

UT, Austin is an amazing city. Having grown up in the city I can attest to being a great place to live. If you have any questions about UT/Austin let me know.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Charlottesville was voted one of the best places to live within the last 5-6 years. The schools seem nice and I would say it is family friendly.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Ithaca is super kid friendly... unless your kids want to go shopping all the time.

FAR262

New

Post by FAR262 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:25 am

Yeah, Ithaca is great for kids if you're alright with living a couple miles from campus or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:55 am

Tiva wrote:UT, Austin is an amazing city. Having grown up in the city I can attest to being a great place to live. If you have any questions about UT/Austin let me know.
I second this.
well-hello-there wrote:I have 3 kids (a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 4 month old) and I want to go to a law school that will produce a good experience for my family as well as myself.

Right now I am considering UVa, Michigan Ann Arbor, Cornell and UCLA. My LSAT is 168 and GPA is 3.7.

Which is the best and worst out of those schools and are there any other schools ranked close to the top 15 that would be a good choice?
I advise against UCLA in terms of kid friendliness. I will throw in BC. The BC law campus is detached from the main campus, and the surrounding area is more residential than boston.

aheisman

New

Post by aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:32 am

Charlottesville, Ann Arbor, and Ithaca are all suburban areas, so they are all kid-friendly. (I would also advise against UCLA.) Ann Arbor is the biggest town out of the three. I've enjoyed living here. It's very clean, safe, and very cheap compared to living in a big city.

I am a 2L at Michigan - If you have any specific questions about Ann Arbor, feel free to PM me.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:23 am

Ithaca is awesome for kids. If you go over to the "Cornell 1L taking questions" thread on the "Discuss Your Law School" board and ask about it directly, there are three 2Ls who are on here pretty frequently and who have multiple children, and can probably give you a more in depth answer than mine (I don't have kids, but have fond memories of running around in Ithaca when I was a kid).

tenpenny3

New

Post by tenpenny3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 am

ann arbor is a great place, kid friendly place. BUT if you want to live anywhere near central campus (where the LS is located) the housing is notoriously expensive within that one mile radius. Some cheaper than others, but for a two bedroom apt within that area, your talking a minimum of 1100 a month + utilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pohboydomer

New

Post by pohboydomer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:33 am

I think you're asking the wrong question. I'm sure in most of these places there are great parks, good schools, and fun family activities. More important is to ask, what percentage of the students at these schools have children? If you go to a place like Notre Dame or BYU, you're going to find a <i>lot</i> of classmates who have children. But I don't know that you'll necessarily find a lot of support at a "top 15" law school simply because there are cool parks nearby. Law students who don't have children are operating in a completely different world.

I think the better question (for those of you who weighed in on this thread) is: what percentage of students at your school have kids? Or, better yet, do you? Do these schools have vibrant and active "married, partnered, spouse, children, non-traditional"-type organizations (rather than defunct organizations listed on the Web site)? Because often times students with children can be extremely marginalized when it's largely single, unattached 20-somethings who get up at 11 am and study at the library until 1 am, when you're looking to work during day care hours and be home in the evenings.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 am

I concur, you need to find out some specifics about the schools. Your family won't have a good experience if you have a terrible time in law school. The workload is enormous, and my impression is that having a solid pool of fellow students to fall back on for study buddies, moral support, etc, is important. So if Cornell or some other school has a higher percentage of student/parents, that could be an important tipping point. You might even be surprised to find that universities located in cities score better on this front, with some students in the course of changing careers, having significant others in jobs they can't leave, having kids already in schools they don't want to move, etc. I really have no idea though, wish I could help more.

I agree you should ask in the "discuss your law school" threads for the specific schools to get specific details. Best of luck.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:50 am

2014 wrote:Charlottesville was voted one of the best places to live within the last 5-6 years. The schools seem nice and I would say it is family friendly.
Charlottesville may be awesome in every way, but does it really matter, since the poster is below both medians at UVA?

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

My degree granting GPA is 4.0. I know that doesn't matter for the rankings but I just re-took the LSAT on Saturday and it is very possible that I scored a 175. Also, I think an early decision application might just get me in at UVa, as I was waitlisted last cycle when I waited to apply until January 28th.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Ithaca is awesome for kids. If you go over to the "Cornell 1L taking questions" thread on the "Discuss Your Law School" board and ask about it directly, there are three 2Ls who are on here pretty frequently and who have multiple children, and can probably give you a more in depth answer than mine (I don't have kids, but have fond memories of running around in Ithaca when I was a kid).
I'll try that.

LogicGamez

New

Post by LogicGamez » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:13 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
2014 wrote:Charlottesville was voted one of the best places to live within the last 5-6 years. The schools seem nice and I would say it is family friendly.
Charlottesville may be awesome in every way, but does it really matter, since the poster is below both medians at UVA?
The OP would have a good shot at UVA by applying ED and writing a great personal statement and "Why Virginia" essays. Michigan may be out of reach with a 168.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:19 pm

I'm going to need at LEAST a 3 bedroom (maybe 4) and the over-riding factor for location is to find a place where my wife can feel safe after dark if I have to stay late at the school. We have 2 vehicles and so living away from campus wouldn't be a big deal.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:52 pm

LogicGamez wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
The OP would have a good shot at UVA by applying ED and writing a great personal statement and "Why Virginia" essays. Michigan may be out of reach with a 168.
You have this completely backwards. Mich's medians are lower than UVA's. Mich is 3.7/169, UVA is 3.8/170.

With their current LSAT score, OP has basically no shot at UVA. Take a look at the LSN graph yourself. Or better yet, a simple search: LSAT 168, GPA below 3.8. Not a single admit: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Same search at Mich, five admits: http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

That said, I wish him luck on his retake! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Boston just ranked highest on a national survey of cities for "Best place to raise a family". That means any of the schools there, Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern or Suffolk are all options.

aheisman

New

Post by aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:38 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
LogicGamez wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
You have this completely backwards. Mich's medians are lower than UVA's. Mich is 3.7/169, UVA is 3.8/170.

With their current LSAT score, OP has basically no shot at UVA. Take a look at the LSN graph yourself. Or better yet, a simple search: LSAT 168, GPA below 3.8. Not a single admit: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Same search at Mich, five admits: http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

That said, I wish him luck on his retake! :)
In recent years, UVA has only tended to accept splitters as a method of gaming the rankings. (Evidence of this: UVA's 25th LSAT is a 165 whereas Michigan's 25th LSAT is a 168.)

If OP were to bring up his LSAT to a 175, then he'd probably be yield protected by UVA, since UVA tends to yield protect every non-splitter with decent numbers.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I love how all these people "recommend against" UCLA and give NO reasons.

UCLA isn't in Compton it's in Westwood. In terms of COL, yes it is high, but its not a horrible place to raise children.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aheisman

New

Post by aheisman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:47 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:I love how all these people "recommend against" UCLA and give NO reasons.

UCLA isn't in Compton it's in Westwood. In terms of COL, yes it is high, but its not a horrible place to raise children.
Westwood is a pretty terrible place to raise children...

Also, OP can probably rent a 3 story house for less than 2000 if he is willing to drive to campus in these towns, not so in LA. (My friend rented a brand new, 3 story house a couple miles away from campus in Ann Arbor for $1400 a month.) If you are willing to commute to campus, you can have a large yard/house and everything for cheap.

ck3

Bronze

Post by ck3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I think the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area around Duke would be good for finding less expensive housing for your family than many of the other to 14 schools.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 pm

aheisman wrote: I think the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area around Duke would be good for finding less expensive housing for your family than many of the other to 14 schools.
How does this area fit in with the family friendliness discussion. I hear mixed things on Durham.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm

ck3 wrote:I think the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area around Duke would be good for finding less expensive housing for your family than many of the other to 14 schools.
Seconded. The triangle affords the best suburban lifestyle in the U.S. It's inexpensive, has a great climate, access to several world class hospitals and research universities, great public and private schools, eclectic food/bar/cultural options, etc. If you want to raise a family in a suburban setting, I can't think of a better place to do it than here. It's as if a bunch of northerners got together and built a little utopia in the south.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”