BU or BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BCLS

Re: BU or BC

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Also, BU does place better in Boston. You hear the (BU is better nationally, BC is better in Boston) line on TLS a lot, I don't know where it came from but it doesn't seem to be true.

Numbers backing this statement up? Every data I've seen shows them being absolutely identical on the whole.

Here's a secret: you can't beat BC's alum network in boston :)

tram988

Postby tram988 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Cupidity please show me some numbers proving BU places better in boston than BC. I don't think this is the case.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 pm

lol and let's keep in mind both Blindmelon and cupidity are BU students while I am obviously a BC student. Two BC students v. two BU students. HMM

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Rut roh. Time to start the BU/BC hate...

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

"One thing the results indicate is how little impact U.S. News rankings are having on where the firms choose to hire. That is clearest when schools share a regional market. Boston College was, for quite some time, ranked ahead of Boston University in U.S. News, but it is quite clear that BU dominates BC at the best firms in the Northeast corridor."

Of course, this is only if you're into pretige rankings, which I think are pretty lame. Bigfirm placement (and pretty much placement into market-rate jobs) out of BC and BU are basically the same %. BU just does better with traditionally more prestigious places. That being said, there are tons, tons of reasons to take a "non-prestigious" firm job at like Nutter or Foley Hoag over a place like Ropes and Gray.

So in totality, it doesn't mean much. They're the same... unless you're a prestige-monger.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Rut roh. Time to start the BU/BC hate...

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

"One thing the results indicate is how little impact U.S. News rankings are having on where the firms choose to hire. That is clearest when schools share a regional market. Boston College was, for quite some time, ranked ahead of Boston University in U.S. News, but it is quite clear that BU dominates BC at the best firms in the Northeast corridor."

Of course, this is only if you're into pretige rankings, which I think are pretty lame. Bigfirm placement (and pretty much placement into market-rate jobs) out of BC and BU are basically the same %. BU just does better with traditionally more prestigious places. That being said, there are tons, tons of reasons to take a "non-prestigious" firm job at like Nutter or Foley Hoag over a place like Ropes and Gray.

So in totality, it doesn't mean much. They're the same... unless you're a prestige-monger.

Sorry, in Boston BC is definitely the more prestigious school. Everyone around here thinks BU is a state school. BC has been a top school here for as long as the U.S. News have been providing rankings, hitting as high as #19. BU was sitting comfortably at #40, a number BC has never seen.

BC undergrad may also provide further reason why BC is seen as more prestigious than BU. BC undergrad is like #32 in the nation, while BU is something like #50-60, a TT.

Sure a few "more prestigious" firms may take 4-5 more students than BC, I dont think this has much to do with the power or lack of prestige of BC. More so to do with self-selection.

In Boston, BC > BU

Those numbers you provided are a joke. Look at NLJ250. Splitting hairs between prestigious firms has no absolute bearing on the prestige of the school. Could easily be self-selection.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

At least I provide something to back up my assertion. You're just getting defensive. They're equal even in Boston. Think BC is somehow better in Boston because of some intangible prestige feeling that people get then sure, okay. But when it comes to real things like getting jobs, BC is not better than BU even in Boston (thats not to say that I think BU is better than BU, as they're essentially the same).

However, if your goal is to impress your relatives who don't know anything about law school, then BC is clearly the right choice.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Blindmelon wrote:At least I provide something to back up my assertion. You're just getting defensive. They're equal even in Boston. Think BC is somehow better in Boston because of some intangible prestige feeling that people get then sure, okay. But when it comes to real things like getting jobs, BC is not better than BU even in Boston (thats not to say that I think BU is better than BU, as they're essentially the same).

However, if your goal is to impress your relatives who don't know anything about law school, then BC is clearly the right choice.

CHECK THE NLJ250; numbers are there. I'm not splitting hairs with prestige of a firm and then trying to somehow relate that back to the prestige of the school, as if other factors can't readily explain them.

BC has been accumulating a strong alumni network in Boston for a long time and has had the reputation of the best law school in Boston (after H) for as long this has been an issue.

I'm not bashing BU, but I am defending BC against you damn BU students who think you are the shit because your school is ranked a few points ahead in the U.S. News, simply because BU has a higher median GPA.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Haha.. chill out man. No one has said anything but good things about BC. I will say that the slight distinguisher is that BU tends to do better with more prestigious firms, BUT BC has the edge in clerkships. Both are a slight edge, but something to think about none the less. Its probably just self selection.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Haha.. chill out man. No one has said anything but good things about BC. I will say that the slight distinguisher is that BU tends to do better with more prestigious firms, BUT BC has the edge in clerkships. Both are a slight edge, but something to think about none the less. Its probably just self selection.

I'll agree with this! I'm just sick of BC getting the short end of the stick on this forum lol. Each school has its positives. Seriously when it comes down to it, both schools are the SAME! You know this as do I; I've seen your posts. For a BU student, you are one balanced son of a gun.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:39 pm

1) Yeesh, people need to stop being so defensive on here, especially my fellow BC students. Take a deep breath, don't take everything posted on a website so seriously, and conduct yourself with a little more class.

2) Blindmelon, isn't that study by Leiter going to focus on NYC firms, based on the list of firms he's counting? That does show BU places (or at least, has placed) better in NYC, but doesn't address self-selection issues, or Boston placement.

3) OP, the schools place almost identically (minus some idiosyncrasies either way, as noted above) in Boston. The difference will be location/facilities/general feel. Visit both schools and get a sense of which you'd be more comfortable at. Either way, your grades will be the most important factor at getting a job, and you'll work better at a place you feel more comfortable.

4) As for cost, I believe the schools run pretty much equal at sticker, and do a good job matching each other's aid.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Harlan, ah the voice of reason. Yea, Leiter goes off non-Boston firms, but BC/BU send roughly the same amount to NY, and roughly the same amount stay in Boston.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 pm

So gentlemen can we call it even? On a side note, I was in the BC Cafe the other day and there was a kid there wearing a BU Law sweatshirt. the AUDACITY!!

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 pm

BCLS wrote:So gentlemen can we call it even? On a side note, I was in the BC Cafe the other day and there was a kid there wearing a BU Law sweatshirt. the AUDACITY!!

Thats actually sort of hilarious. I have a Seton Hall Law mug I carry everywhere. hah.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
BCLS wrote:So gentlemen can we call it even? On a side note, I was in the BC Cafe the other day and there was a kid there wearing a BU Law sweatshirt. the AUDACITY!!

Thats actually sort of hilarious. I have a Seton Hall Law mug I carry everywhere. hah.

haha I know. I'm not sure I have the balls to whip out my BC Law maroon sweatshirt and frolic all over BU-- and use their facilities lol.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Summary of the bickering above lol:
BC = BU when it comes to job prospects at big firms in Boston
Choice should come down to money as well as the overall feel of each school

Does everyone agree with that?

ps. Plan on applying to several schools ranked above both BU and BC (with NYU being probably about as high as i'll apply to and still have a reasonable chance), but my dream is to practice in Boston, and through research ive come to the conclusion that if I want to practice in Boston I should go to school in Boston. Seems to be that even if I went to NYU that Boston firms would be too skeptical of my ties to the city to hire. Is that true?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:22 pm

bostlaw wrote:Summary of the bickering above lol:

ps. Plan on applying to several schools ranked above both BU and BC (with NYU being probably about as high as i'll apply to and still have a reasonable chance), but my dream is to practice in Boston, and through research ive come to the conclusion that if I want to practice in Boston I should go to school in Boston. Seems to be that even if I went to NYU that Boston firms would be too skeptical of my ties to the city to hire. Is that true?

If you're from Boston, I don't think you should have trouble convincing firms that you want to practice there. If you're not, I don't know.

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:

If you're from Boston, I don't think you should have trouble convincing firms that you want to practice there. If you're not, I don't know.

Im not.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Not going to a Boston school doesn't preclude you from working here. I've seen a ton of UVA, Columbia come up north. You just need a solid reason for wanting to be in Boston aside from "its nice and not as expensive as NYC." If you can do that, then NYU would be a great choice.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Wow, this quickly turned into a soapbox for existing BC/BU students. Come on guys, you know who wins when we fight like this? New England and Suffolk. Every time you argue another Article III clerkship goes their way. I hope you're pretty damn happy with yourselves.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Hah!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”