BU or BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bostlaw

Bronze

BU or BC

Post by bostlaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:54 pm

and why? Interested in business law and staying in Boston.

beachbum

Gold

Re: BU or BC

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:57 pm

from what I understand, whichever is cheaper.

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 pm

apply to both and bargain with the money.

sayruss11

New

Post by sayruss11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Have you ever visited? BC has a really nice campus while BU is just one large ugly building....if that kind of stuff matters to you.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Both have essentially the same placement. Follow the money/ where you feel more comfortable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:53 am

bostlaw wrote:and why? Interested in business law and staying in Boston.
For some reasons, I think BC is more accounting/tax renowned than BU. However, BU is more entrepreneur/global trading/corporation renowned than BC.

I want to ask if anyone knows how similar/different BU and BC are in considering splitters?

William001

New

Post by William001 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:02 am

The first step in selecting a law school is to know what's important to you and what your ambitions are.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 am

BC seems to be my first choice, just notice that BU is placed slightly higher than BC in the ranks and wanted to know if it was for any real reason. I'm leaning more towards corporate, or whatever can get me involved with government compliance type stuff and working with company expansions. Seems to me in my research that BC can allow me to get into some of the best firms in the city dealing with that.

Any real difference in job prospects in other cities. D.C/NYC?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am

tbldc2009 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:and why? Interested in business law and staying in Boston.
For some reasons, I think BC is more accounting/tax renowned than BU. However, BU is more entrepreneur/global trading/corporation renowned than BC.
This doesn't make any sense.
BCLS wrote:Both have essentially the same placement. Follow the money/ where you feel more comfortable.
Overwhelmingly this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 am

Oh yea, and in before Informative comes trolling for BC . . .

jake768

New

Post by jake768 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:50 am

If you want to stay in Boston, go to BC, the network is dominant. Otherwise, check out ties in whatever city you want, BU travels slightly better.

BC's campus is much nicer, but it's a 30-45 min subway ride from downtown. Not necessarily a bad thing, just saying.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

jake768 wrote:If you want to stay in Boston, go to BC, the network is dominant. Otherwise, check out ties in whatever city you want, BU travels slightly better.

BC's campus is much nicer, but it's a 30-45 min subway ride from downtown. Not necessarily a bad thing, just saying.
Harvard is actually dominant in all things Boston (no surprise there). Also, the BC/BU alumni networks actually varies by the firm. For example, Goodwin Procter is known as a BU heavy school. I'm sure there are firms that are more BC heavy. In terms of PI, same thing. USAO internship last year was about 10/11 BU students, about 5 from BC. Their summer hiring committee was more BU than BC, which I think helped. I'm sure other PI groups go the other way.

This is splitting hairs. Follow the $. Seriously.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 am

Blindmelon wrote: Harvard is actually dominant in all things Boston (no surprise there).
Actually, according to some Harvard kids I know, they've said it can be pretty hard to get Boston jobs because most Boston firms assume you won't actually stick around. I don't know how universal this is, but it is worth considering.

I agree with everything else you've said, though. it really is about the money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jake768

New

Post by jake768 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 am

Blindmelon wrote:
jake768 wrote:If you want to stay in Boston, go to BC, the network is dominant. Otherwise, check out ties in whatever city you want, BU travels slightly better.

Harvard is actually dominant in all things Boston (no surprise there). Also, the BC/BU alumni networks actually varies by the firm. For example, Goodwin Procter is known as a BU heavy school. I'm sure there are firms that are more BC heavy. In terms of PI, same thing. USAO internship last year was about 10/11 BU students, about 5 from BC. Their summer hiring committee was more BU than BC, which I think helped. I'm sure other PI groups go the other way.

This is splitting hairs. Follow the $. Seriously.
100% agree

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 am

paratactical wrote:
Blindmelon wrote: Harvard is actually dominant in all things Boston (no surprise there).
Actually, according to some Harvard kids I know, they've said it can be pretty hard to get Boston jobs because most Boston firms assume you won't actually stick around. I don't know how universal this is, but it is worth considering.

I agree with everything else you've said, though. it really is about the money.
This is true. But any Boston firm will grill you on connections to the area and why you want to stay. I have friends that want to be in Boston that go to BU but got shut out because their interviewers kept asking them, "why not go back to [x city]". Sometimes a NY or other big city UG can hurt you unless you can say confidently and with a decent enough reasons that Boston is your home. If you go to Harvard and went to a Boston UG, or your family is local, or fiance works here, anything, you can get into a great Boston firm, although the non-vault shops like Nutter may be wary.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:39 am

I know no one here will tell you to do this, but choose based on your personality. BU are quite similar in job prospects, and they have a habit of matching financial aid, which means if you negotiate neither will be cheaper.

BU and BC are very different places. I love BU and I am very happy here. If I were at BC I would not be happy at all. It is a very different place. BC is very fratty, a lot of New England preppy types and Ed Hardy guys. BU is more diverse, a little more "artsy" in its make up.

Also, BU does place better in Boston. You hear the (BU is better nationally, BC is better in Boston) line on TLS a lot, I don't know where it came from but it doesn't seem to be true.

And, (now I'm just sounding defensive), BU's facilities are actually nice. That tower is pretty beastly looking, but the 1L classrooms are some of the best I've been in and the library is pretty cozy. If you go to the BU 1L taking Q's thread, there are a few photos.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 am

Cupidity wrote:BC is very fratty, a lot of New England preppy types and Ed Hardy guys. BU is more diverse, a little more "artsy" in its make up.
I always think it's funny to hear people try to describe the differences between the two. IMO, I've found BU to be waaaaaay more fratastic than BC, though, to be fair, I've only visited their law schools, so that's an outside perspective.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am

paratactical wrote:
Cupidity wrote:BC is very fratty, a lot of New England preppy types and Ed Hardy guys. BU is more diverse, a little more "artsy" in its make up.
I always think it's funny to hear people try to describe the differences between the two. IMO, I've found BU to be waaaaaay more fratastic than BC, though, to be fair, I've only visited their law schools, so that's an outside perspective.
Dude, as a law student here, you could not be more wrong.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am

Cupidity wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Dude, as a law student there, you could not be more wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say one view of a school is right and the other is wrong, I was just trying to point out to the OP that people have different views on the schools and that they should probably visit for themselves.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 am

paratactical wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Dude, as a law student there, you could not be more wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say one view of a school is right and the other is wrong, I was just trying to point out to the OP that people have different views on the schools and that they should probably visit for themselves.
Yes, they should visit for themselves. But no reasonable person could find BU more fratty than BC. You must have seen some freakishly skewed sample.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:50 am

Cupidity wrote: But no reasonable person could find BU more fratty than BC. You must have seen some freakishly skewed sample.
Of course you're right. My apologies for my futile attempt to disagree, Mr. Broseph Cochran.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 am

Yea, everyone's experience is going to be different. When I visited BC I just thought it was a white-washed religious school. Then again, I have friends who aren't the super-prep type who like it there. Its all perspective and also a lot of what people you run into while you're there. There are plenty of jock/frat boys at BU, but I don't notice it because I stay clear. Every school is going to have pockets of morons.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:52 am

paratactical wrote:
Cupidity wrote: But no reasonable person could find BU more fratty than BC. You must have seen some freakishly skewed sample.
Of course you're right. My apologies for my futile attempt to disagree, Mr. Broseph Cochran.
The funny part about some of the big drinker/partiers is that you may see them on law review the next year (half of LR is usually people you would never expect).

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 am

Blindmelon wrote:
paratactical wrote:
The funny part about some of the big drinker/partiers is that you may see them on law review the next year (half of LR is usually people you would never expect).
I have definitely heard this to be true.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:59 am

paratactical wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
paratactical wrote:
I have definitely heard this to be true.
I have hope

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”