Low GPA (2.5) High Lsat 178 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
idiotsgod

New

Low GPA (2.5) High Lsat 178

Post by idiotsgod » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Ive looked around here and havn't seen anything answering with such a larger gap. I started off life as a college student majoring in biology, hated bio but didnt know what interested me. So while I was dragging my grades through the mud as a bio major I switched to physics because it interested me. That was a real mix in grades the classes that interested me (applied physics), were good grades. The classes that were very boring to me (quantum mechanics) were not so good. I eventually decided Physics was interesting but not hat I really wanted to do with my life, so thats when I went towards criminal justice and law. In my criminal justices classes I've had nothing but A's. I'll be graduating this year with a degree in physics, minor in criminal justice (8 classes), and a minor in math. My final GPA will be around a 2.5-2.6, partly attributed to my boredom with the classes ive taken and partly to work around 50 hours a week most of my college career. I'm hoping to stay in the mid east coast area, MD-SC, unless I can get into a top 10 school. Which schools do you think I should apply to to get the best chance at the best school?

rayiner

Platinum

Re: Low GPA (2.5) High Lsat 178

Post by rayiner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Do you actually have a 178 LSAT?

I got into a T14 with similar stats, FWIW. You should get a year or two of work experience to distance yourself from your abysmal GPA and apply to NU, GULC, UVA, WUSTL, and UIUC.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Whoa, the only person I've seen with a bigger split than me. Follow rayiner's advice and add W&L and W&M given your location preferences. With two years of work experience you'd have a great shot at NU. May as well apply to the other places now, though.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:33 pm

How interested do you think you'll be in your law school classes? As you've explained, the classes that you didn't particularly have any interest in/were bored, you didn't do as well. While you may overall be interested in law, law school consists of a variety of topics - some of which are boring but 1Ls have to take. I'd seriously take that into consideration before you proceed in applying to law school.

Norlan

New

Post by Norlan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm

you already got your LSAT score? did you take it in June?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 pm

tingles wrote:How interested do you think you'll be in your law school classes? As you've explained, the classes that you didn't particularly have any interest in/were bored, you didn't do as well. While you may overall be interested in law, law school consists of a variety of topics - some of which are boring but 1Ls have to take. I'd seriously take that into consideration before you proceed in applying to law school.
Law school is pretty boring, but the $200k of debt is a better motivator than anything in UG ever was.

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:44 pm

idiotsgod wrote:Ive looked around here and havn't seen anything answering with such a larger gap. I started off life as a college student majoring in biology, hated bio but didnt know what interested me. So while I was dragging my grades through the mud as a bio major I switched to physics because it interested me. That was a real mix in grades the classes that interested me (applied physics), were good grades. The classes that were very boring to me (quantum mechanics) were not so good. I eventually decided Physics was interesting but not hat I really wanted to do with my life, so thats when I went towards criminal justice and law. In my criminal justices classes I've had nothing but A's. I'll be graduating this year with a degree in physics, minor in criminal justice (8 classes), and a minor in math. My final GPA will be around a 2.5-2.6, partly attributed to my boredom with the classes ive taken and partly to work around 50 hours a week most of my college career. I'm hoping to stay in the mid east coast area, MD-SC, unless I can get into a top 10 school. Which schools do you think I should apply to to get the best chance at the best school?
What criminal justice classes did you take... specifically; because those classes may be very far removed from anything you would actually take in law school ( you might find law school worse than Bio ).

And how were the classes you had in criminal justice taught ( case method or like your basic poli-sci class )... were the teachers of those classes graduates of a law school or some PhDs... I only ask that because often times an undergraduate class that you are led to believe is similar to a law school class is completely different, often much easier and often much more interesting... so don't assume law school would be like your undergrad experience, it might be like night and day.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Northwestern is known to be splitter friendly.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 pm

nealric wrote:Northwestern is known to be splitter friendly.
what other schools are splitter friendly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Miracle wrote:what other schools are splitter friendly?
The ones rayiner mentioned above.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:40 pm

bk187 wrote:
I thought Michigan was splitter friendly? Am I wrong?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Miracle wrote:I thought Michigan was splitter friendly? Am I wrong?
Not particularly so. They will take lower GPA's but are more averse to them than the others. Also it matters how extreme the split is. Michigan has only accepted one sub-3 in the past 2 years whereas UVa and NU have admitted many.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Miracle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I thought Michigan was splitter friendly? Am I wrong?
According to Law School Predictor Michigan actually takes GPA into account more than a lot of others (based on my chances looking at different LSAT scores I could have scored on Sat). I think that prediction calculators are going to be off for such a big splitter. A graduate degree or work experience would be good options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LogicGamez

New

Post by LogicGamez » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:08 pm

idiotsgod wrote:Ive looked around here and havn't seen anything answering with such a larger gap. I started off life as a college student majoring in biology, hated bio but didnt know what interested me. So while I was dragging my grades through the mud as a bio major I switched to physics because it interested me. That was a real mix in grades the classes that interested me (applied physics), were good grades. The classes that were very boring to me (quantum mechanics) were not so good. I eventually decided Physics was interesting but not hat I really wanted to do with my life, so thats when I went towards criminal justice and law. In my criminal justices classes I've had nothing but A's. I'll be graduating this year with a degree in physics, minor in criminal justice (8 classes), and a minor in math. My final GPA will be around a 2.5-2.6, partly attributed to my boredom with the classes ive taken and partly to work around 50 hours a week most of my college career. I'm hoping to stay in the mid east coast area, MD-SC, unless I can get into a top 10 school. Which schools do you think I should apply to to get the best chance at the best school?
I'm guessing the 178 is a speculative score and you don't actually have it?

If you do then you should work for a few years before applying to LS if you want to go to a T14, because even the splitter friendly ones aren't going to accept a 2.5 straight out of undergrad.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:20 pm

bk187 wrote:
Miracle wrote:I thought Michigan was splitter friendly? Am I wrong?
Not particularly so. They will take lower GPA's but are more averse to them than the others. Also it matters how extreme the split is. Michigan has only accepted one sub-3 in the past 2 years whereas UVa and NU have admitted many.
Michigan is very splitter friends, esp for science majors, but sub 3 is too low.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Michigan is very splitter friends, esp for science majors, but sub 3 is too low.
I should have been more clear. It is splitter friendly but nowhere near the level of NU or UVa.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:30 pm

bk187 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Michigan is very splitter friends, esp for science majors, but sub 3 is too low.
I should have been more clear. It is splitter friendly but nowhere near the level of NU or UVa.
Unless you ED to UVA, or are instate, I dare say it is more friendly than UVA.

Nobody beats Northwestern if you have W/E.

Gtown part time is very splitter friendly too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Unless you ED to UVA, or are instate, I dare say it is more friendly.
But people with this level of split are often contemplating where to ED for maximum effect (though that is encompassed in the "Waterman ED Method" aka the ED everywhere shotgun approach).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:49 pm

bk187 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Unless you ED to UVA, or are instate, I dare say it is more friendly.
But people with this level of split are often contemplating where to ED for maximum effect (though that is encompassed in the "Waterman ED Method" aka the ED everywhere shotgun approach).
Agreed.

idiotsgod

New

Post by idiotsgod » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:13 am

I have a LSAT of 178. The classes varied from judical process to study if discrimination on Criminal Justice. All the teachers but one have a law degree, 2 were state courts judges prior to teaching. Most were general taught classes, but one was taught in a case law sense for about 3/4 of the semester. And like they mentioned debt can be a big reason to try harder, and its a chance for me to do something productive with my life since I sort of "floated" through college. A couple of you advised to take a couple years off before applying. That's not as easy as it sounds, I would take an outside T14 school instead of taking 2 years off. Also we the second in line for UVA law school admissions at our school today. I spoke to him after the meeting and he said thought I would have decent shot there with bc of my LSAT. Also, i'm Retaking the LSAT in December. I though it was farily easy the first time and I think I have a shot at bumping it to a 179 or possible the magical 180.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

idiotsgod wrote:I have a LSAT of 178. The classes varied from judical process to study if discrimination on Criminal Justice. All the teachers but one have a law degree, 2 were state courts judges prior to teaching. Most were general taught classes, but one was taught in a case law sense for about 3/4 of the semester. And like they mentioned debt can be a big reason to try harder, and its a chance for me to do something productive with my life since I sort of "floated" through college. A couple of you advised to take a couple years off before applying. That's not as easy as it sounds, I would take an outside T14 school instead of taking 2 years off. Also we the second in line for UVA law school admissions at our school today. I spoke to him after the meeting and he said thought I would have decent shot there with bc of my LSAT. Also, i'm Retaking the LSAT in December. I though it was farily easy the first time and I think I have a shot at bumping it to a 179 or possible the magical 180.
Why'd you have to ruin a good flame with this shit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:50 am

anyone else find his writing suspect for a 178? just saying

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:05 am

Slightly off topic but you can ED at more than one place and its just first come, first serve?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:24 am

If you get waivers, I'd also throw applications to some T30s in hopes of scholarship money.

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 am

I have heard of someone getting into Washington U in St. Louis with that GPA, just so you know!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”