What to do

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cccZillo

What to do

Postby cccZillo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 pm

First off, the vitals: 2.29 GPA, 169 LSAT, three years working as a journalist since undergrad, looking to stay in/around Chicago.

Retook the LSAT yesterday, and would be pretty surprised if it wasn’t 170+, but for now the 169 is the number to work with.

Got accepted to John Marshall with scholarship for the spring semester. Problem is, they need a 400 dollar non-refundable check by October 22. With a 2.29, I’m happy to get in anywhere, but with a 169 (and hopefully 170+), I want to see how my applications fare at DePaul, Kent, Loyola, etc.

Now I know that the 400 dollars doesn’t commit me to the school, but it does commit me to 400 dollars, and I’m still in a spot in life where 400 dollars is a lot of money. I’m leaning toward not sending the money, and applying for the fall semester at John Marshall.

Thoughts on what I should do? Ridicule of my grade point average? All is welcome. Thanks everyone.

Aqualibrium

Re: What to do

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:57 pm

If Marshall is a full scholarship, put the money down. Otherwise, wait and see what happens with your lsat and your other apps. You are better off paying sticker or close to it at a place like UIUC (though you didn't mention that school, I'd think a 175+ would be enough to get em to bite), or Kent than a mediocre scholarship at John Marshall.

Just my opinion...

shemori

Postby shemori » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Go where the ( how much?) money is

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Damn dude, that's a pretty awesome lsat (my goal), but whats up with the gpa? If you have a remotely good excuse for it, definitely write an addendum. Hell, even if the only reason for the gpa is that you partied too much, just say that you were immature, maybe fell into substance abuse (which any partier can say w/o really lying), but have found your way. At least if you end up at the schools you're looking at you can (if you put effort into it) end up at the very top of your class and transfer if you want. G'luck.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Throw an app to Wash U-see what happens...They very well might buy that LSAT off of you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Don't go to John Marshall, even on a full ride, unless you're cool with not practicing law afterward.

cccZillo

Postby cccZillo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks everyone, even you rad law.

Aqua--The scholarship is not full ride. Also, I will be applying to UIUC, I just didn't mention for fear of the "what are you an idiot? You can't get into there with that GPA" response. I walk on eggshells around here.

Do you think it will be ok to apply to JM for the fall, just to be safe as I wait on the other schools? I picture an admissions officer reading my application and noticing that it's familiar.

2011Law--The low GPA is because I spent undergrad focusing all my energy on work at the radio station and newspaper, thinking that's where my future was. I know that's no good excuse (good excuses are rare, after all). Folks at TLS have told me not to bother with an addendum on that. You think it can't hurt?

Again, many thanks.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:41 pm

rad law wrote:Don't go to John Marshall, even on a full ride, unless you're cool with not practicing law afterward.

Hey, then sent me a plastic bag with pencils, an eraser, tissues and Nerds for the LSAT yesterday!

Then again, that's pretty desperate.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:44 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Throw an app to Wash U-see what happens...They very well might buy that LSAT off of you.

Just saw this credited response.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 pm

I think John Marshall is a back up option that you only consider if you get a full ride. I'd say the same thing about Depaul and Loyola.

Kent is expensive, but they'll bite on a 170+ lsat and you at least have some hope of a job in the region. Of course you should apply to schools like UIUC, Wash U, ND, and Indiana. You aren't a safe bet to get into any of them because of the gpa, but there is little harm in trying.

One thing I would suggest to you is to work with a professional editing service on your ps and your gpa addendum (you didn't mention one, but I would assume you did one). I know everyone here thinks their ps is awesome and they are god's gift to the English language, but the difference really is night and day. With a high lsat and such a low gpa, you need to make sure that every single aspect of your app that is under your control is on point.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”