Why not like College?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Why not like College?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:24 pm

justadude55 wrote:oh and i'm sorry.

college is easy to fund? try not being able to get a private loan because your parents both have no credit score to be a cosigner, and paying for college out of pocket!!!!!!!!!

in graduate school, the banks don't need a cosigner (i guess they figure you're a good risk) so at least students have an opportunity to get that higher degree without having to chip in 60-80 hour work weeks as well.

i completely disagree with college being easier to finance than graduate school.

In state tuition for my state UG is $7500 per year full time per year. Fed loans do not require a credit check. If your parents are rich then they can afford to pay $7500. If they are not then you can get Fed direct loans to cover it.

The difficulty is not financing college, it is financing college that you want to go to. Government provides you with an affordable way to get a bachelor's degree, if you want an alternative, it is on you to find a way to fund it.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:

college is easy to fund? try not being able to get a private loan because your parents both have no credit score to be a cosigner, and paying for college out of pocket!!!!!!!!!

in graduate school, the banks don't need a cosigner (i guess they figure you're a good risk) so at least students have an opportunity to get that higher degree without having to chip in 60-80 hour work weeks as well.

i completely disagree with college being easier to finance than graduate school.

In state tuition for my state UG is $7500 per year full time per year. Fed loans do not require a credit check. If your parents are rich then they can afford to pay $7500. If they are not then you can get Fed direct loans to cover it.

The difficulty is not financing college, it is financing college that you want to go to. Government provides you with an affordable way to get a bachelor's degree, if you want an alternative, it is on you to find a way to fund it.

my college was more in the neighborhood of 50k, but by the time my family went from wealthy to poor, i was already past my jr yr so too late to transfer and be taken seriously by an ok college.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:59 pm

justadude55 wrote:my college was more in the neighborhood of 50k, but by the time my family went from wealthy to poor, i was already past my jr yr so too late to transfer and be taken seriously by an ok college.

I am sorry to hear that. I really am. Maybe it wasn't such a prudent financial move to send you to a $50k college in the first place. As I am planning my 2 children's future, I will not allow them to get in to a crappy situation in their senior year in college. The money for college should have been put aside. If I don't have all 4 years of tuition accounted for, then I can't afford to send my kids to that college.

Edit to add: That's the point my previous posts anyway. Education is available for the rich and the poor at very affordable prices. If you choose a more costly path, do it at your own perils.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
justadude55 wrote:my college was more in the neighborhood of 50k, but by the time my family went from wealthy to poor, i was already past my jr yr so too late to transfer and be taken seriously by an ok college.

I am sorry to hear that. I really am. Maybe it wasn't such a prudent financial move to send you to a $50k college in the first place. As I am planning my 2 children's future, I will not allow them to get in to a crappy situation in their senior year in college. The money for college should have been put aside. If I don't have all 4 years of tuition accounted for, then I can't afford to send my kids to that college.

Agreed. Not to be insulting but I wouldn't consider someone "wealthy" when they are trying to send their kids to school paycheck to paycheck.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Agreed. Not to be insulting but I wouldn't consider someone "wealthy" when they are trying to send their kids to school paycheck to paycheck.

Maybe "well-off". $50k a year on a decent family income really is a lot of money. I would also have picked a college with a no-loan policy so in case your financial situation change, you can always ask for a hardship exception and get your financial packages increased (with no loans). So Penn say hello to my kids! lol

All kidding aside, I am sure a lot of families are going through rough times right now, that's why it's more important than ever to plan ahead financially. Americans are used to over-buying, over-borrowing and over-living, this is just another manifestation of the same mentality. But to gamble with your children's financial future is the worst move because OP had no option but to get into a lot of debt and feel the burden before he even gets out of school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:Maybe "well-off". $50k a year on a decent family income really is a lot of money. I would also have picked a college with a no-loan policy so in case your financial situation change, you can always ask for a hardship exception and get your financial packages increased (with no loans). So Penn say hello to my kids! lol

All kidding aside, I am sure a lot of families are going through rough times right now, that's why it's more important than ever to plan ahead financially. Americans are used to over-buying, over-borrowing and over-living, this is just another manifestation of the same mentality. But to gamble with your children's financial future is the worst move because OP had no option but to get into a lot of debt and feel the burden before he even gets out of school.

Agreed on all counts. I find it hard to understand people who live that way but that is probably due to the fortune of having parents who taught me never to live beyond ones means.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Maybe "well-off". $50k a year on a decent family income really is a lot of money. I would also have picked a college with a no-loan policy so in case your financial situation change, you can always ask for a hardship exception and get your financial packages increased (with no loans). So Penn say hello to my kids! lol

Agreed on all counts. I find it hard to understand people who live that way but that is probably due to the fortune of having parents who taught me never to live beyond ones means.

never wouldve done it looking back on it, esp in an economy where a bachelors alone isn't worth much. darwinism, i guess.each generation is stronger.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:22 pm

I used to be homeless, so the cuts run deep. 8)

All I hope for is for this country to learn a lesson through this difficult time. But I may be hoping too much. I still hope though.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:45 pm

homeless with a 3.9 and 1 70, whod have thunk it?

id have put that brain to use to make me some $$$$

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Yea this is true. Grad school is much easier to finance but it is also much less likely to be free like undergrad. If I could go back in time I would have transfered at the end of freshman year to get transfer scholarships.... or I would of found some chick who was broke like me and gotten married so I would have been considered an independent on FASFA. I was so unoriginal back then.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 pm

justadude55 wrote:homeless with a 3.9 and 1 70, whod have thunk it?

id have put that brain to use to make me some $$$$

I actually want to do some good, just make some $$$ isn't enough. I have a decent career, I just want to do more meaningful things ... I am in law/grad school on the way to achieving that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”