Emory and Job Prospects

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:32 pm

jr1886 wrote:I know my reaction is a knee-jerk one but that's one less application I will save myself from filling out


I think Bruce Wayne's wrong here, as does rando, but BW is more vocal about it. I'd apply to Emory. So much depends on the individual employer, but I do believe that even in ATL, Emory edges out UGA. Whether you should go to Emory over UGA if UGA is substantially cheaper, however, is another story which largely depends on your debt aversion and career goals.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm

=
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:50 pm

^ I don't care enough to break down how ridiculous your posts were. Mostly I was annoyed with you using a "partner" to make your argument. And you just sound silly.

In the end, I don't care one way or the other. I don't need a job. I think UGA is a great school (as averred in my prior posts) and I think it is a better value $ for $. But my experience in the ATL legal market, which is more extensive than yours, has shown me that employers go deeper in Emory's class than UGA.

BTW, lol at McKenna being more selective than A+B and K&S. Just more evidence you are lost.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:06 pm

=
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I thought it was pretty common for the bigger and more prestigious firms anywhere to not really be interested in people below the top 10%, maybe top 20%.

Isn't that kind of the point of being in the top of the class, and of being a prestigious firm? You have options, and they can be picky.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:23 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rando wrote:^ I don't care enough to break down how ridiculous your posts were. Mostly I was annoyed with you using a "partner" to make your argument. And you just sound silly.

In the end, I don't care one way or the other. I don't need a job. I think UGA is a great school (as averred in my prior posts) and I think it is a better value $ for $. But my experience in the ATL legal market, which is more extensive than yours, has shown me that employers go deeper in Emory's class than UGA.

BTW, lol at McKenna being more selective than A+B and K&S. Just more evidence you are lost.


LOL it's becoming more and more obvious that you aren't nearly as familiar with ATL as you think you are! Are you from Cleveland or something?! I've got hiring charts for UVA and Michigan that show Alston and King and Spalding go deeper into the class than Mckenna does. Your arguments are so bad it's insane. Basically it comes down to you not liking what I said, having no factual basis to disprove it, and then using a weak ass cop out of "Oh well you must be making it up" and then putting partner in quotes since you don't like what I said. That's akin to the sort of arguments a child makes. You obviously have some chip on your shoulder about attending Emory. And double LOL at your comment about your experience with the Atlanta legal market being more extensive than mine---I'm from the area! You're completely ridiculous.


As far as you not caring either way, you're sure quick to post extreme statements about how "Emory clearly out places UGA in Atlanta" and how you know people at UGA are "faring far worse off than Emory students".


What does my placement statement have to do with my interest in the outcome? I don't have a horse in this race. I have told people not to come to Emory under their circumstances and told others it would be a good option.

You are on quite a high horse for someone faring a 50/50 shot at biglaw. Good luck with that.

edit: sorry to pull out the douche card.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 pm

l
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Most amusing is that two people who can rank so high in their respective schools, both of which are quite good, can't figure out how to use the quote feature.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby Always Credited » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Can we boil this argument down and just say that both Emory and UGA have shitty job prospects for biglaw ITE?

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
What does my placement statement have to do with my interest in the outcome? I don't have a horse in this race. I have told people not to come to Emory under their circumstances and told others it would be a good option.

You are on quite a high horse for someone faring a 50/50 shot at biglaw. Good luck with that.

edit: sorry to pull out the douche card.




You are the definition of a hypocrite. Notice how you had to actually go stalk through my posts to determine that I go to UVA (by the way you haven't stalked enough if you think I only have a 50/50 shot). You on the other hand are flaunting the fact that you have a top 5 percent ranking at Emory, and are vehemently telling people how your school is clearly superior to UGA. Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

Most amusing is that you are telling a person from the area (while you still haven't identified where you are from) that your school has a substantially better reputation in said area


You mentioned UVA. You're also living in a dream world if you think it's better than 50%. And you also write like a petulant child. And I have not said that I am in the top 5%. Further, I am not going to identify where I am from. But I don't see what that has to do with anything. Unless of course you being from the area is relevant because your mother or father is a lawyer and you think you know everything.

"Vehemently telling people how [Emory] is clearly superior to UGA"? What thread are you in? Who are you responding to? I never even implied such a thing, and explicitly noted on several occasions that it was a great school.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 pm

kalvano wrote:Most amusing is that two people who can rank so high in their respective schools, both of which are quite good, can't figure out how to use the quote feature.


Hehe. It's a personal vendetta against quotes that make me scroll too much.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Well one is significantly better then the other.... UVA>>>>>>>>>>>>Emory. Rando has some crazy feeling that he must defend his DECENT law school though it has been hit VERY hard ITE, more then T14. Just because you go to a school doesnt mean it is a great school, and no Emory is not considered "higher/better" then UGA. My father is a lawyer in CA (not biglaw) who worked biglaw in TX for several years. He is literally laughing that someone thinks 5-6 spots in the ranking that far down the rankings makes a difference. It doesnt. Top 10% at UGA beats top 15% at emory. End of story.

Please quite trying to place Emory so high up. If you did well GREAT! but most there will not land BigLaw.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm

rando wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
What does my placement statement have to do with my interest in the outcome? I don't have a horse in this race. I have told people not to come to Emory under their circumstances and told others it would be a good option.

You are on quite a high horse for someone faring a 50/50 shot at biglaw. Good luck with that.

edit: sorry to pull out the douche card.




You are the definition of a hypocrite. Notice how you had to actually go stalk through my posts to determine that I go to UVA (by the way you haven't stalked enough if you think I only have a 50/50 shot). You on the other hand are flaunting the fact that you have a top 5 percent ranking at Emory, and are vehemently telling people how your school is clearly superior to UGA. Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

Most amusing is that you are telling a person from the area (while you still haven't identified where you are from) that your school has a substantially better reputation in said area


You mentioned UVA. You're also living in a dream world if you think it's better than 50%. And you also write like a petulant child. And I have not said that I am in the top 5%. Further, I am not going to identify where I am from. But I don't see what that has to do with anything. Unless of course you being from the area is relevant because your mother or father is a lawyer and you think you know everything.

"Vehemently telling people how [Emory] is clearly superior to UGA"? What thread are you in? Who are you responding to? I never even implied such a thing, and explicitly noted on several occasions that it was a great school.


Hmmm didnt see this, UVA 50/50 biglaw, maybe not. I think he was saying that he has the grades that he has a much better chance then 50/50

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

jt1341 wrote:Well one is significantly better then the other.... UVA>>>>>>>>>>>>Emory. Rando has some crazy feeling that he must defend his DECENT law school though it has been hit VERY hard ITE, more then T14. Just because you go to a school doesnt mean it is a great school, and no Emory is not considered "higher/better" then UGA. My father is a lawyer in CA (not biglaw) who worked biglaw in TX for several years. He is literally laughing that someone thinks 5-6 spots in the ranking that far down the rankings makes a difference. It doesnt. Top 10% at UGA beats top 15% at emory. End of story.

Please quite trying to place Emory so high up. If you did well GREAT! but most there will not land BigLaw.


Holy shit. read my posts people.

btw, kind of weird that you are bonding over TLS with your dad. To each his/her own.

To the top 10% at UGA beats top 15% at Emory. That simply has not been my experience. I don't know of a single person in the top 10% unemployed (not saying a lot, I know) but know of at least two in the top 5% at UGA who struck out. Probably an aberration, whatever. Not great evidence. And yes it is anecdotal. But it is true and makes a logical connection similar to what I have seen from working in the Atlanta legal market for the past few years. That is my statement. There is no vehemence, there is no ad hominem school defense. I apologize if it came off that way.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:52 pm

l
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 pm

jt1341 wrote:
rando wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
What does my placement statement have to do with my interest in the outcome? I don't have a horse in this race. I have told people not to come to Emory under their circumstances and told others it would be a good option.

You are on quite a high horse for someone faring a 50/50 shot at biglaw. Good luck with that.

edit: sorry to pull out the douche card.




You are the definition of a hypocrite. Notice how you had to actually go stalk through my posts to determine that I go to UVA (by the way you haven't stalked enough if you think I only have a 50/50 shot). You on the other hand are flaunting the fact that you have a top 5 percent ranking at Emory, and are vehemently telling people how your school is clearly superior to UGA. Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

Most amusing is that you are telling a person from the area (while you still haven't identified where you are from) that your school has a substantially better reputation in said area


You mentioned UVA. You're also living in a dream world if you think it's better than 50%. And you also write like a petulant child. And I have not said that I am in the top 5%. Further, I am not going to identify where I am from. But I don't see what that has to do with anything. Unless of course you being from the area is relevant because your mother or father is a lawyer and you think you know everything.

"Vehemently telling people how [Emory] is clearly superior to UGA"? What thread are you in? Who are you responding to? I never even implied such a thing, and explicitly noted on several occasions that it was a great school.


Hmmm didnt see this, UVA 50/50 biglaw, maybe not. I think he was saying that he has the grades that he has a much better chance then 50/50


Gotcha. Apparently didn't do the required stalking. Guess batman has a job.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Always Credited wrote:Can we boil this argument down and just say that both Emory and UGA have shitty job prospects for biglaw ITE?


Exactly. The credited response is "What job prospects?"

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:54 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
The past 2 OCG's Covington DC has hired people outside of the top 10 percent from UVA".


ASSumption.
Last edited by rando on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby Always Credited » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Hopefully once I finish this year at/near the top of my class, I don't commit the remainder of my time to arguing passionately over internet discussions.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:55 pm

rando wrote:
jt1341 wrote:Well one is significantly better then the other.... UVA>>>>>>>>>>>>Emory. Rando has some crazy feeling that he must defend his DECENT law school though it has been hit VERY hard ITE, more then T14. Just because you go to a school doesnt mean it is a great school, and no Emory is not considered "higher/better" then UGA. My father is a lawyer in CA (not biglaw) who worked biglaw in TX for several years. He is literally laughing that someone thinks 5-6 spots in the ranking that far down the rankings makes a difference. It doesnt. Top 10% at UGA beats top 15% at emory. End of story.

Please quite trying to place Emory so high up. If you did well GREAT! but most there will not land BigLaw.


Holy shit. read my posts people.

btw, kind of weird that you are bonding over TLS with your dad. To each his/her own.

To the top 10% at UGA beats top 15% at Emory. That simply has not been my experience. I don't know of a single person in the top 10% unemployed (not saying a lot, I know) but know of at least two in the top 5% at UGA who struck out. Probably an aberration, whatever. Not great evidence. And yes it is anecdotal. But it is true and makes a logical connection similar to what I have seen from working in the Atlanta legal market for the past few years. That is my statement. There is no vehemence, there is no ad hominem school defense. I apologize if it came off that way.


Edit: This post is done... hopefully
Last edited by 005618502 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Always Credited wrote:Hopefully once I finish this year at/near the top of my class, I don't commit the remainder of my time to arguing passionately over internet discussions.



This is, well, credited.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
I dd not say that I attend UVA in this thread. You figured that out by going through my post history. Also you need to stop acting as if you know my personal business well enough to say that I'm "living in a dream world if I think it's better than 50 %" You clearly have no idea what you're talking about if you think that a URM from the area, went to an undergrad in the state, attends UVA, and actually knows partners at a 2 of the large Atlanta firms only has a 50 percent shot at getting a job there. But the thing is that you are making a lot of ASSumptions about me. I hate when people make claims about other posters as if they actually know the person. Let's be honest, you got annoyed at the fact that I gave some extremely relevant info about why your statements proclaiming Emory to be stronger than UGA for Atlanta jobs was off.


Best of luck.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:58 pm

1
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
Always Credited wrote:Hopefully once I finish this year at/near the top of my class, I don't commit the remainder of my time to arguing passionately over internet discussions.



This is, well, credited.


+180. I'm embarrassed to have gotten myself wrapped up in this. Maybe it is actually due to the fact that I don't have anything to do. Sad, I know.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby beachbum » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:02 pm

As best as can be determined, Emory and UGA are peer schools ITE. UVA is better than both of them. YHSCCN are better than all of the above.

/dick-measuring contest




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 3 guests