Emory and Job Prospects

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blindmelon

Re: Emory and Job Prospects

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:00 pm

justadude55 wrote:ya'll make me not want to apply to emory.

are BU, BC, Fordham, WUSTL, ND, IU all better bets professionally?

I'd say BU/BC/Fordham are depending on the cost. I have no idea about WUSTL and IU, but I hear ND is hurtin bad.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:36 am

Blindmelon wrote:

I'd say BU/BC/Fordham are depending on the cost. I have no idea about WUSTL and IU, but I hear ND is hurtin bad.

wustl isnt the land of milk and honey either... In my opinion, go to a school that you want to live in. BC BU Fordham WUSTL ND GW all place about the same amount of kids in decent law firms. The only difference is where you want to work in. Do you want midWASTE or east coast.....

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:26 pm

thexfactor wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

wustl isnt the land of milk and honey either... In my opinion, go to a school that you want to live in. BC BU Fordham WUSTL ND GW all place about the same amount of kids in decent law firms. The only difference is where you want to work in. Do you want midWASTE or east coast.....

$ + fun + helping ppl

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:52 pm

Blindmelon wrote:My best advice about Emory is to go to UGA. Same calibre, MUCH cheaper.
If you want to work in NYC, go to Fordham, if you want GA, go to UGA. The problem with Emory, is that theres not much of a reason to go there.

Not the same caliber, even in GA.

But I wouldn't take out massive debt for Emory, yeah.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 pm

My impression is that the Univ. of Georgia School of Law is the same caliber as Emory Law School, but a much better bargain for Georgia residents. And, yes, I am aware that Emory is ranked #22 by USNews while Georgia is at #28. Although I am not certain, employment prospects from Georgia are better for those wishing to stay in the region.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:03 pm

I've always heard* that Emory is vastly overrated.

*Read on TLS.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My impression is that the Univ. of Georgia School of Law is the same caliber as Emory Law School, but a much better bargain for Georgia residents. And, yes, I am aware that Emory is ranked #22 by USNews while Georgia is at #28.

Even in GA, Emory is more prestigious. There's no "prestige study" I can cite, but I checked around while I was in GA, and this is what I came up with.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:05 pm

The composition of the student bodies is quite different. I have never heard that Emory's law school is more highly regarded in Georgia. Maybe among Emory Law grads in Atlanta. Outside of Georgia, such as in the Northeast US, Emory is more prestigious due to its undergraduate school & medical school.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:36 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The composition of the student bodies is quite different. I have never heard that Emory's law school is more highly regarded in Georgia. Maybe among Emory Law grads in Atlanta. Outside of Georgia, such as in the Northeast US, Emory is more prestigious due to its undergraduate school & medical school.

If you're really into prestige, then yea, Emory is above. If you look at clerkship/firm placement they're basically the same and thats what counts.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:The composition of the student bodies is quite different. I have never heard that Emory's law school is more highly regarded in Georgia. Maybe among Emory Law grads in Atlanta. Outside of Georgia, such as in the Northeast US, Emory is more prestigious due to its undergraduate school & medical school.

If you're really into prestige, then yea, Emory is above. If you look at clerkship/firm placement they're basically the same and thats what counts.

In GA, yeah jobs are about the same; the prevailing theory about why this is is because the best of Emory tends to leave for the North rather than sticking around.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Leave for the north? Thats cool. How many northern firms came to 2L OCI? My friend is applying to LS now, and she really likes Emory, but doesn't want to be stuck in the south.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Leave for the north? Thats cool. How many northern firms came to 2L OCI? My friend is applying to LS now, and she really likes Emory, but doesn't want to be stuck in the south.

In this economy, probably not many. ITE is bad.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 pm

This thread makes me chuckle.

It's terrible everywhere. And BM getting on your high horse like BU has got things on lock down. lulz.

UGA got rocked in OCI the past two years. Def worse than Emory. That being said, I think UGA is a great school and a fantastic value. Far better valued than Emory. But if you're taking out the cost calculation (which I don't advocate) then no, UGA is no on par with Emory. FWIW UGA has damn solid small firm placement throughout the state re; Athens, Savannah, Macon, etc.

As far as leave for NYC - I would say prob 5%. Not a lot, but defo those in the top 10% who would be a lock for big ATL firms.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:15 pm

rando wrote:This thread makes me chuckle.

It's terrible everywhere. And BM getting on your high horse like BU has got things on lock down. lulz.

UGA got rocked in OCI the past two years. Def worse than Emory. That being said, I think UGA is a great school and a fantastic value. Far better valued than Emory. But if you're taking out the cost calculation (which I don't advocate) then no, UGA is no on par with Emory. FWIW UGA has damn solid small firm placement throughout the state re; Athens, Savannah, Macon, etc.

As far as leave for NYC - I would say prob 5%. Not a lot, but defo those in the top 10% who would be a lock for big ATL firms.

Noted. But could people stop calling me BM? A little too bowel-movement-esque. And yea, comparing schools now a days is typically a pretty fruitless venture. BU/GW/Emory even Cornell/UCLA you're typically in not so great shape.

And yea, I get on my BU high-horse every one in a while (maybe more than that), but from what I read on these boards, I genuinely think that BC/BU are doing better than a few of their peers - but thats not saying much.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:32 pm

=
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am

BruceWayne wrote: FWIW I was directly told by a partner at one of the large Atlanta firms that currently they only hire top 10 percent at UGA and Emory.

And a unicorn told me NY to 190. You heard it here first.

The 10% cutoff is simply a fairy tale. Offers have been made to Emory students outside the top 10% at K&S, A+B, and JD in the past 2 OCI's. Is it common practice, doubtful. But it goes to show you don't know what you're talking about because I can guarantee you that no other major ATL firm is as selective as those three. In fact, the only firm in ATL that would be that selective is Bondurant and their cutoff is probably much closer to top 2%.

It is frustrating when people try to sound authoritative by making up "partner" friends and hiding behind made up assertions. Take your fictitious "partners" and nonsensical rhetoric elsewhere.

There's simply not a material difference in the two schools Atlanta placement ability, now Vanderbilt has a leg up on UGA in Atlanta, but not Emory.

huh?

rando

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:23 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Noted. But could people stop calling me BM?

My bad.

Rest of your points are duly noted. In fact, most of what you have said ITT I agree with. Emory had its place as a NE/SE hub pre-ITE. Now it is much more difficult. If you want to practice in GA then UGA will probably be more cost-effective (strangely enough, not always). If you want to be in NY, go to Fordham etc.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:30 pm

=
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rando wrote:
BruceWayne wrote: FWIW I was directly told by a partner at one of the large Atlanta firms that currently they only hire top 10 percent at UGA and Emory.

And a unicorn told me NY to 190. You heard it here first.

The 10% cutoff is simply a fairy tale. Offers have been made to Emory students outside the top 10% at K&S, A+B, and JD in the past 2 OCI's. Is it common practice, doubtful. But it goes to show you don't know what you're talking about because I can guarantee you that no other major ATL firm is as selective as those three. In fact, the only firm in ATL that would be that selective is Bondurant and their cutoff is probably much closer to top 2%.

It is frustrating when people try to sound authoritative by making up "partner" friends and hiding behind made up assertions. Take your fictitious "partners" and nonsensical rhetoric elsewhere.

There's simply not a material difference in the two schools Atlanta placement ability, now Vanderbilt has a leg up on UGA in Atlanta, but not Emory.

huh?

Give me a break. Because I"m actually from the area it's not hard to meet partners (which you most likely are not). In addition, it's rather obvious that when a firm makes a statement like that they do not mean that they have never hired someone outside of that range, what it means is that by far most of the people hired are within the top 10 percent. Your little claim is similar to someone saying " The past 2 OCG's Covington DC has hired people outside of the top 10 percent from UVA". Although I'm not even sure if you grasp what I'm saying with that. Finally, the nlj stats more than backup what the partner told me. Finally if you think there's a material difference in Emory's Atlanta placement ability compared to UGA, you are obviously an Emory student. The fact that you don't think Vandy out does Emory in Atlanta really seals the deal.

Way to backtrack. Nicely done.

please re-read what you wrote re; Vandy vs. Emory vs. UGA placement. It is incomprehensible. Hence the "huh?"

You have zero credibility in your posts and you think it is surprising someone called you out for making up fictitious lawyers who assert your rhetoric?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 pm

dood wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
dood wrote:is the expression "getting emory'd" in use yet?

1 oci employees is a joke, just cancel oci

lol wut? Where are you getting this 1 OCI employer stat? It is not anywhere near factually accurate.

the atl article.

I was under the impression they had 20-40. IIRC, a number of Emory students were saying this in a thread a while back.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:58 pm

l
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

this whole convo has me very confused as to where to rank emory on my list.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:08 pm

=
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:22 pm

I know my reaction is a knee-jerk one but that's one less application I will save myself from filling out

Return to “Choosing a Law School”