3.1, 168, good work experience/softs: Where to apply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ohfourteen_esq

3.1, 168, good work experience/softs: Where to apply?

Postby ohfourteen_esq » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm trying to figure out where to apply because my background isn't exactly traditional, and I think I qualify as a splitter. My numbers:

. 3.1 GPA, degree in communication studies from top public university
. Good internships and work experience while in school
. Teach for America for two years in NYC right after I graduated
. Air Force/AF Reserve after that as an officer, current rank of Captain w/ less than a year before my commitment is done (!!!)
. 168 LSAT score (could retake in Dec if absolutely necessary)

I have no strong preference on where to go to school/live after: I want a school that will leave me with the best career options possible and let me land in a big city, I'll go anywhere that does that. Dream job would be to work in-house for an NFL/MLB/NBA team, more realistic goal is to be a US Attorney (still competitive I know). I'll probably need a year to decide if I want public interest or something more like big-law.

So with all that, where should I apply? Attorney friends I've talked to have recommended Northwestern and UVA as my high targets. Do I have a chance there? Lawschoolnumbers says no, but does my work experience help me enough to make a difference? Anywhere higher ranked I should look at seriously? Schools I should focus on/safeties?

ToTransferOrNot

Re: 3.1, 168, good work experience/softs: Where to apply?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Depending on how risk-averse you are, I would ED to either UVa or Northwestern (UVa would be the riskier proposition), and apply to CCN down through UCLA or so. Your softs are significant - the combination of TFA and military may take you places that your numbers alone would not.

That said, I would retake. If you can bump your LSAT up by 2-3 points, you'll be a lock at a few T14s.

ohfourteen_esq

Postby ohfourteen_esq » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 am

Depending on how risk-averse you are, I would ED to either UVa or Northwestern (UVa would be the riskier proposition), and apply to CCN down through UCLA or so. Your softs are significant - the combination of TFA and military may take you places that your numbers alone would not.

That said, I would retake. If you can bump your LSAT up by 2-3 points, you'll be a lock at a few T14s.

The 168 was with almost no prep. I just went in knowing how to graph out problems and it took me pretty far. I think 171/2+ is possible with a few practice tests/books, maybe higher if I do a prep course. Kaplan or something?

Questions: why would it be a risk to ED at Northwestern/Virginia? And do you think I have a real shot at CCN or is that just a throwaway app? I plan to apply to Harvard, Chicago, NYU, Michigan, a few others like that. JD Chicago/MBA Booth would be a dream but I didn't think those schools were in reach with my GPA.

Also, do you or anyone else think I have a chance at NU's 2-year program? I've seen old posts about the cost-benefit of it, but getting a degree from a school with a great reputation in two years is perfect for my situation. I have the drive to be successful and it would let me start work a year earlier, or if I wanted to get into a 1-yr MBA program like INSEAD, London, Oxford, etc. and focus on that 100%. Thoughts?

ohfourteen_esq

Postby ohfourteen_esq » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 am

Bottom line, tell me how I can not become this guy: http://Error.com/2c8gl2k

...or your attorney of choice that gets clients via ads on latenight TV/public trans/flyers at bail-bond stores

EDIT: the link to a billboard of TN's greatest attorney$ doesn't want to work...GRRR!
Last edited by ohfourteen_esq on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:49 am

Bottom line is that you can get UVA or NW with your stats, except you need a 170. That 170 is basically the magic number for people like you. Do some real studying and ace the test. The higher you get the more likely you get into a better school or get scholarship.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 am

If you got the 168 with no prep def. retake. 171/172 and your in MUCH better shape. ED is a risk because it almost definitely means you will be attending at sticker.

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:12 pm

BC, GW, Fordham, USC, UCLA, Texas, Vandy and any schools you want to reach for in the T14. These are the top non-T14 schools in the country if you want BigLaw. Your stats should get you into at least a few of these schools.

ohfourteen_esq

Postby ohfourteen_esq » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:24 pm

it almost definitely means you will be attending at sticker.

Point taken. It does take away bargaining power because you're locked in no matter what.

BC, GW, Fordham, USC, UCLA, Texas, Vandy and any schools you want to reach for in the T14. These are the top non-T14 schools in the country if you want BigLaw. Your stats should get you into at least a few of these schools.

Thanks. Minus the crossed out schools (personal preference) I'll add those to my list.

Having done more research today, my top reach and really my top choice for LS is Chicago...I would take Chi over anywhere except Yale. So I have a revised question for anyone who has experience with the school: Who do I have to kill to be the splitter that gets in?

There are one or two on LSN every year with numbers similar to mine. I feel like I have the softs to make it worth their while and I know I'll be successful wherever I go. Teach for America, USAF Captain, other internships/leadership experience, grad degree from military school, published work in academic journals/think tank publications/magazines about military policy. Could that be enough to make me the outlier that gets in? What if I study up and hit 172-4 on the LSAT? Or should I pick a different reach to focus my attention on?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”