USC Safety and Overall Experience

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
username99

USC Safety and Overall Experience

Postby username99 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on USC's safety (middle of the hood, I believe) and the overall experience of living and going to school there. It's ranking pretty high on my list right now in terms of academics, location, etc, but I wonder if it's the kind of thing where I will get there and instantly wish I wasn't there. Anyone have any opinions on the school, community, location, etc? Thank you.

lennonist

Re: USC Safety and Overall Experience

Postby lennonist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Unrepresentative sample: all 4 people I (sadly) knew who went to USC law are dicks/bitches. Ironically, they THEMSELVES complain about the stinky attitude of their classmates.

The location sucks as well. They typically lure you in with a lot of $$$ and if you're stupid you'd choose USC over UCLA when getting into both.

The only reason to go to USC is if you really want to practice in LA. Other than that, it doesn't get much cred. nationwide.

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful.

defrutamadre

Postby defrutamadre » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm not a law student at USC, but I am a senior undergrad--and USC's location does have its disadvantages. If you want to live off-campus, you're going to have to choose between constant weekend party noise (I love partying, but I want to be able to come home and not hear it--or, when I want a quiet night in to study, not have to deal with it) or not-so-safe neighborhoods. The streets where most students live have lots of DPS officers to watch out for drunk people, but the streets that are quieter during the day are also more dangerous at night. For instance, I live on the west side of campus two blocks away and muggings at night are pretty frequent. Two weeks ago, however, we had spikes of muggings happening in broad daylight. don't go walking around at night alone, bike/take a car if you have to go somewhere, and never carry a lot of money on you. Now, I have never been mugged--so it is true that these concerns can definitely be avoided. but the students or admissions officers who tell you that it's safe and that it's under control either don't know what they're talking about or are hushing it up. We do have things like campus cruiser where you can get driven to anywhere within a mile radius of the center of campus, but on weekends it can get backed up crazy amounts and the waiting time can be pretty hefty.

Once you get on campus it's pretty nice. I've never been to the law building(s), but from what I've heard they're shiny and big and very comfortable.

In terms of cool things to do in the surrounding area, things are looking up for students. LA Live opened recently, and it has some cool restaurants/bars/movie theater. USC provides a complimentary tram to shuttle you back and forth on Friday and Saturday nights. there's a yogurtland near campus too, which sort of blew my mind (it opened last week). Aside from that, you have the usual chains and fast food joints, a student bar on campus, etc etc--but it will be nothing compared to westwood. and you will need a car to do anything, anything at all. I came to LA from St. Louis, Missouri thinking that a big city would have proper public transportation, but it's awful. they are trying to construct a metro extension that comes to campus but there have been delays with construction...beaches, beautiful hiking, good food, movie theaters that play good movies, great music scene--all of these things are possible, but they won't be in the USC area and they won't be accessible without a car.

I remember there being a lot of other threads on this matter, so if you wanted more info I'm sure you could check out what's already been said. It is true that USC is trying to change its surroundings (by kicking low-income families to worse neighborhoods and killing all small-business in the area, but this is a topic for another day) but there are still things to keep in mind. hope that helps!

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Even if you're a really good safety, you aren't going to be able to play in a bowl game unless you're lucky near the end of your time there. I'd imagine that the Bush scandal has really set back their ability to recruit, and the program as a whole is going to suffer for some time. Look what happened to Colorado - NCAA sanctions just killed their ability to recruit, and they haven't been on the map in years. Excellent performance in a bowl game will get you noticed in a way that a good regular season just won't, and this could be the difference between going in the first round and third round later on. Millions of dollars are at stake. My advice is to go somewhere else that will give you a shot to actually show what you're capable of when it's all on the line.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 am

It is not the best part of LA and if you're from a small town or used to suburban life you might be a little uncomfortable or feel unsafe there but it isn't like your life is in danger every day either. If you live near the campus, you won't be able to hang out much in the immediate surrounding areas and have to go a few miles out. If you're concerned about the location, pick UCLA which is in one of the best (safest) areas of LA.
LAPD had a nifty crime map that everything categorized by type, location, etc. but it seems to be offline ATM. They still have some info here; --LinkRemoved--

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:12 am

FROM A BRUIN:

USC's location is not as bad as some would have you believe. Is it as nice as Westwood (where UCLA is)? No, not nearly. Would I walk around the neighborhood at nighttime? If I was a girl, probably not. But what you have to realize is that USC, the campus, is it's own bubble. There's a fence around the whole campus, and once you get past that fence, it's actually very idyllic. I was really impressed with the brick architecture and grass palisades. It feels like a college campus should feel. Besides, law students don't live in the neighborhood anyway. Everyone lives in Silverlake, or Mid-Wilshire, or somewhere else. One of my friends who goes there just moved to the miracle mile.

Think of it this way: if USC, which is touted as having "superficial girls" and uber-money, etc were really in such a bad neighborhood, or didn't at least seclude itself in its own idyllic bubble (which it does), would people really pay a ridiculous amount of $$$ to go there for undergrad (or grad school)? My guess is no. Daddy wouldn't open his wallet to let his little princess get mugged.

As for the law program, when I visited I was really impressed. And this is coming from a Bruin, a hard-core-born-to-hate-red-and-yellow-UCLA-die-hard. They seem to really care about their alumni and help out their own wherever possible, and their smaller size gave me a more intimate feel.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like USC has a great campus and a solid program.

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks all. I'm coming from DC and originally from NY, so I'm okay with cities and particularly cities that have been labeled as "dangerous." Still, I've never lived in the middle of the hood. I really appreciate everyone's insight. If you have any questions about DC, let me know. USC may be a bit of a reach for me, which means that UCLA is definitely a reach for me. So we shall see...

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:57 pm

To the guy living on the west side of campus, you absolutely picked the wrong place to live and most everyone who attends USC knows that. Anything west of Vermont is an area you want to avoid, if possible.

The good news is that most of student life takes place on campus and the area directly north of campus (North University Park). If you choose to live in an area that's walk/biking distance from school, this is the area you're looking to stay in.

As far as what I would do if I was attending USC, I would look for an apartment in Downtown, which is approximately 1-2 miles north of campus, in what is IMO a very up and coming part of Los Angeles, with many new bars, restaurants, apartments, entertainment venues, etc. Plus, the new subway line that's being built around campus (projected to open April 2011) originates at the 7th/metro station downtown and has 3 stops around USC, one of them being right across the street from the law building; makes for an easy commute (no car, traffic, parking cost).

Safety is genuinely not much of a concern in downtown with many cops driving and biking around at all times and night - life picking up in many parts of the town. PM me if you have any questions, I'm fairly familiar with life in the downtown area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”