Attorney's that have PhD's

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SECLAW23

Attorney's that have PhD's

Postby SECLAW23 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Are their attorney's that have PhD's in say a topic like Economics? - What types of roles do they play in the legal world.

What kinds of jobs do students of the dual PhD/JD programs get after they graduate aside from think tanks and teaching positions?

Thanks!

ToTransferOrNot

Re: Attorney's that have PhD's

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

They do exactly the same thing that any other JD does, but with an even douchier name: Dr. SpentlotsofmoneyonaPHdfornoreason, esq.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm sure you can do whatever you want. I know some schools charge ridiculous amounts of money for those programs, like Vanderbilt, and then just forgive the massive loans you take out once you take an academic or think tank job. I'm thinking about doing that depending where I am accepted (Chicago Law - good shot , Chicago Econ PhD - snowball's chance in hell).

I think if your'e committed enough to finish a Ph.D. program you want an academic job or the like - a dissertation isn't a walk in the park from what I hear.

EDIT: Most PhD programs are free with funding (they actually pay you) so it doesn't cost a lot of money for that.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 pm

SECLAW23 wrote:Are their attorney's

C'mon man. Seriously?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 am

AreJay711 wrote:I'm sure you can do whatever you want. I know some schools charge ridiculous amounts of money for those programs, like Vanderbilt, and then just forgive the massive loans you take out once you take an academic or think tank job. I'm thinking about doing that depending where I am accepted (Chicago Law - good shot , Chicago Econ PhD - snowball's chance in hell).

I think if your'e committed enough to finish a Ph.D. program you want an academic job or the like - a dissertation isn't a walk in the park from what I hear.

EDIT: Most PhD programs are free with funding (they actually pay you) so it doesn't cost a lot of money for that.

Opportunity cost.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:53 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I'm sure you can do whatever you want. I know some schools charge ridiculous amounts of money for those programs, like Vanderbilt, and then just forgive the massive loans you take out once you take an academic or think tank job. I'm thinking about doing that depending where I am accepted (Chicago Law - good shot , Chicago Econ PhD - snowball's chance in hell).

Opportunity cost.

No doubt but if you want an academic job then that cost is much lower becuase you would be trying to get pubished after graduation and would proably have to pass on biglaw. Clerking for 3/4 years after dropping $180,000 for school is proably more expensive than taking an extra 4 years at school for free.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:

C'mon man. Seriously?

I lol'ed.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 pm

I think its much more commen in the IP and Patent field of law than economics. Like someone will have a PHD in Electrical Engineering and does patent work.

Also some law professors have an absurd amount of education.

It would probably more worth your time, and a couple thousand dollors less to do an LLM in the field you want to get into instead of a PHD if you want a lot of education.

For example George Town has an LLM in Financial Regulation, GWU has one in National Security. Dont really know if these are neccessary to actually practice in these fields, but the more education does not hurt much but your pocket book.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:47 pm

jarofsoup wrote:For example George Town has an LLM

Blatant anti-Georgetown trolling.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Drummingreg wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:For example George Town has an LLM

Blatant anti-Georgetown trolling.

It actually looks like a super intersting program that I will never get into http://www.law.georgetown.edu/graduate/securities.cfm

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:

C'mon man. Seriously?

I lol'ed.

HAHAHAH

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Instead of making fun of the OP, help him out as in "R their attorney's".

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

SECLAW23 wrote:Are their attorney's that have PhD's in say a topic like Economics? - What types of roles do they play in the legal world. !

Usually comedic roles, with a few minor dramatic ones here and there. To my knowledge, there have been no action stars among PhD lawyers, but you can always blaze the trail.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”