Where to study/learn election law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boom_cs

Where to study/learn election law?

Postby boom_cs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I am interested in election law and am looking for a university or a program in election law.

New to the forum but really appreciate all the help.

kalvano

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Don't go to a school for a specific program. Go to a school that is either highly ranked or places well in the market you wish to live in.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:09 pm

I am interested in election law and am looking for a university or a program in election law.

Everywhere and nowhere. Almost nobody specializes exclusively in election law. It's one small step above unicorn law in obtainability for a new law graduate.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Last edited by The Gentleman on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 pm

nealric wrote:

Everywhere and nowhere. Almost nobody specializes exclusively in election law. It's one small step above unicorn law in obtainability for a new law graduate.

This.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Georgetown offers a few election law courses. What do you have in mind when you ask that question? If you plan to work for the FEC, then you should study administrative/constitutional law. If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.

bostonboy870

Postby bostonboy870 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm

William & Mary has an election law society/program.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.

Hmm... I know of three people who went to grad programs in "Applied Politics" and two of them aren't doing so hot. I think one is substitute teaching and the other is straight unemployed. The person that did manage to get a political job had previously worked in elections and party politics for several years. Honestly, she probably would have gotten the same job without the MA.

HTH

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.

Hmm... I know of three people who went to grad programs in "Applied Politics" and two of them aren't doing so hot. I think one is substitute teaching and the other is straight unemployed. The person that did manage to get a political job had previously worked in elections and party politics for several years. Honestly, she probably would have gotten the same job without the MA.

HTH

If you're not already in politics, then it's a bit late to get in the game.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 pm

nealric wrote:

It's not that completely unobtainable. I interviewed with a firm that had an election law practice. The associates in the group were very qualified (one I interviewed with was a COA clerk) but nothing completely ridiculous.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:22 pm

JG Hall wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:

HTH

If you're not already in politics, then it's a bit late to get in the game.

True. However, a formal program can help you in terms of networking.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah I am not trying to specialize in it or anything just curious about maybe one or two electives about it and maybe some student groups that work in the field.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:34 pm

boom_cs wrote:Yeah I am not trying to specialize in it or anything just curious about maybe one or two electives about it and maybe some student groups that work in the field.

Then Isacharoff is at NYU now, Persily at CLS, Karlan at Stanford... T6 or bust.

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Gerken at Yale

acadec

Postby acadec » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Anywhere. But where will you go afterward?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am

My first 6 weeks at NU have convinced me that I should be a campaign manager.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”