Where to study/learn election law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boom_cs
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

Where to study/learn election law?

Postby boom_cs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I am interested in election law and am looking for a university or a program in election law.

New to the forum but really appreciate all the help.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Don't go to a school for a specific program. Go to a school that is either highly ranked or places well in the market you wish to live in.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby nealric » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:09 pm

I am interested in election law and am looking for a university or a program in election law.


Everywhere and nowhere. Almost nobody specializes exclusively in election law. It's one small step above unicorn law in obtainability for a new law graduate.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm

.
Last edited by The Gentleman on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 pm

nealric wrote:
I am interested in election law and am looking for a university or a program in election law.


Everywhere and nowhere. Almost nobody specializes exclusively in election law. It's one small step above unicorn law in obtainability for a new law graduate.


This.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Georgetown offers a few election law courses. What do you have in mind when you ask that question? If you plan to work for the FEC, then you should study administrative/constitutional law. If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.

bostonboy870
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby bostonboy870 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm

William & Mary has an election law society/program.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.


Hmm... I know of three people who went to grad programs in "Applied Politics" and two of them aren't doing so hot. I think one is substitute teaching and the other is straight unemployed. The person that did manage to get a political job had previously worked in elections and party politics for several years. Honestly, she probably would have gotten the same job without the MA.

HTH

User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby JG Hall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.


Hmm... I know of three people who went to grad programs in "Applied Politics" and two of them aren't doing so hot. I think one is substitute teaching and the other is straight unemployed. The person that did manage to get a political job had previously worked in elections and party politics for several years. Honestly, she probably would have gotten the same job without the MA.

HTH

If you're not already in politics, then it's a bit late to get in the game.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby rayiner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 pm

nealric wrote:
I am interested in election law and am looking for a university or a program in election law.


Everywhere and nowhere. Almost nobody specializes exclusively in election law. It's one small step above unicorn law in obtainability for a new law graduate.


It's not that completely unobtainable. I interviewed with a firm that had an election law practice. The associates in the group were very qualified (one I interviewed with was a COA clerk) but nothing completely ridiculous.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:22 pm

JG Hall wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:If you plan to become a political operative, then you should not go to law school at all. You should go to grad school to study political management.


Hmm... I know of three people who went to grad programs in "Applied Politics" and two of them aren't doing so hot. I think one is substitute teaching and the other is straight unemployed. The person that did manage to get a political job had previously worked in elections and party politics for several years. Honestly, she probably would have gotten the same job without the MA.

HTH

If you're not already in politics, then it's a bit late to get in the game.


True. However, a formal program can help you in terms of networking.

boom_cs
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby boom_cs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah I am not trying to specialize in it or anything just curious about maybe one or two electives about it and maybe some student groups that work in the field.

User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby JG Hall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:34 pm

boom_cs wrote:Yeah I am not trying to specialize in it or anything just curious about maybe one or two electives about it and maybe some student groups that work in the field.

Then Isacharoff is at NYU now, Persily at CLS, Karlan at Stanford... T6 or bust.

westbayguy
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby westbayguy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Gerken at Yale

User avatar
acadec
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby acadec » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Anywhere. But where will you go afterward?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Where to study/learn election law?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am

My first 6 weeks at NU have convinced me that I should be a campaign manager.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests